Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 02:40:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 74 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: LPTJ Best of 2008 Thread  (Read 65188 times)
jebreject

« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2008, 11:23:46 PM »

Man I haven't listened to shit that's new this year.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2008, 11:36:58 PM »

You should listen to that Gaslight Anthem album Jeb

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
jebreject

« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2008, 11:41:40 PM »

is there a thread about them? i skip over most of the music talk these days that isn't about metal ...

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2008, 11:46:50 PM »

http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,11245.0.html

El_Josharino

« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2008, 11:59:11 PM »

Jeb, you gotta vote for Times New Viking. They got stiffed last year and we can't let them get stiffed again this year.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
davy

« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:19:14 AM »

I'm just gonna go ahead a get this out on the table, so I can spread the backlash out across the entire month, rather than take it in the face all at once (though that might be fun, too):

The Red Album will be in my top 10.

Seriously. I invested a fuck of a lot of energy into this album, giving it every chance, fiddling with the song order, the bonus tracks, listening to it endlessly. It's a part of my 2008, now. Rather refreshing after all these years of being a "serious" music fan to find an album you can love for its faults as well as its triumphs.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »

Yay.  I am glad to see this back.

Let me also say that I'm as interested in early/incomplete entries, as reminders of what I've been meaning to investigate this year, and still have time to try out.

Fair enough, and though I doubt much on my list will pique your interest, here is my preliminary top 10, which will most likely change in the next couple of weeks and which I hope to expand to a top 20.  Many of them I've already said something about in another thread but I'll reiterate a little bit about each album to give you an idea what they're about.  Also, maybe I'll edit in some sample links later.

1. Murder by Death - Red of Tooth and Claw
alt-country southern gothic, like Nick Cave or Johnny Cash singing a spaghetti western soundtrack, with, as blucas pointed out, copious use of cellos.
Murder By Death - Comin' Home
Murder By Death - Second Opinion

2. Justin Townes Earle - The Good Life
Just some really good country, old-fashioned country, more Hank Sr. than Hank Jr. 
Justin Townes Earle - Hard Livin'
Justin Townes Earle - What Do You Do When You're Lonesome?

3. Guillotine - Blood Money
Straightforward thrash metal from Sweden, comparable to old Kreator, some great thrash riffs, excellent drum work, high energy throughout.
Guillotine - Skeleton City
Guillotine - Welcome to Dying (Death, Destruction, and Pain)

4. Spiritualized - Songs in A & E
amazing space rock, big arrangements, backing vocals
Spiritualized - Sweet Talk
Spiritualized - Soul On Fire

5. Týr - Land
Progressive metal composed largely of Viking choirs singing Faroese poetry.
Týr - Sinklars Vísa
Týr - Valkyrjan

6. Cynic - Traced in Air
Progressive metal, more prog than metal really but they still manage some pretty intricate riffing.
Cynic - Adams Murmur
Cynic - Evolutionary Sleeper

7. Akimbo - Jersey Shores
Big glacially-paced epic hardcore, reminiscent of Oceanic-era Isis
Akimbo - Great White Bull
Akimbo - Matawan

8. Kiuas - The New Dark Age
Power/Heavy metal with some touches of Death metal
Kiuas - The Decaying Doctrine
Kiuas - To Excel and Ascend

9. Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Viking-themed melodic death metal.  Amazing title track and video but listened again recently and the entire album is that good.
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Amon Amarth - The Hero

10. Neuraxis - The Thin Line Between
Technical death metal with progressive tendencies.  I've read that this album is a drop off in quality from previous ones.  Since I'm not familiar with their prior output I am blissfully ignorant of its shortcomings.
Neuraxis - Wicked
Neuraxis - The Thin Line Between

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2008, 11:52:42 PM by YojimboMonkey » Logged

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
DanielBurns11

« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:53:15 AM »

21. Ben Nichols – The Last Pale Light in the West (The first track is great, the rest are pretty good, but I hope he sticks with the Lucero stuff from now on)

Technically a 2009 release, no?  January 20, 2009 is what I read, though I guess some or all of it is available as a download for pre-orders.  If you know differently please let me know.

I did get the mp3's immediately after pre-ordering, but I also got the CD just a couple weeks after that. I don't know about it's 'official release date', but I've had the actual CD since October.

EDIT: More info here: http://www.luceromusic.com/. Strange, the albums 'official release date' is sometime in Jan. '09, but people who pre-ordered got it in Oct. '08.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008, 12:55:57 AM by DanielBurns11 » Logged

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2008, 12:54:37 AM »

Wild.  I haven't checked it out yet, though I'm normally first in line to preorder Lucero stuff.  I'll have to get on that.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #34 on: Dec 02, 2008, 01:06:14 AM »

Also, Cormac McCarthy fans note that the Ben Nichols disk is a concept album--well, it's only an EP--based on Blood Meridian.

Doctor Bob

« Reply #35 on: Dec 02, 2008, 02:36:28 AM »

The Vampire Weekend album is one of the very few albums released this year that I knew right away would make my list.

Yeah, I only didn't include it because it was my #1 album last year.  I hope it makes the final list, though.

Which year is/was it?

And is there a rule about a 2008 release date?

I'm confused.

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
edison

« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2008, 03:18:13 AM »

8.  She & Him - Volume I

I'm not sure anymore and can't find the thread in question, but I thought you were the one who started that  "Is this what indie rock is coming to?" thread about that album?

(edit: found it! http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,10083.0.html Explanations eagerly awaited Smile )

Anyway, looking forward to reading all these lists, I'll take a few weeks to have mine ready, because right now, I only know n°1, pretty much.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008, 03:20:04 AM by edison » Logged
alex

« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2008, 03:49:45 AM »

Hahaha, that thread was awesome.

I just looked at what music I have that was released this year between my CD/vinyl collection and my computer and had to conclude that I have an informed opinion of only a very small portion of what I've amassed this year (this is mostly true for mp3s, of course, but there's also a bunch of things I've bought but not properly listened to). There are a few things that would have fairly secure spots in a year-end list (Tomokawa, Toumani Diabaté, A Weather, tMG come to mind), but somehow, I doubt I'll actually manage to put something together.
alistarr*

« Reply #38 on: Dec 02, 2008, 04:14:29 AM »

The Vampire Weekend album is one of the very few albums released this year that I knew right away would make my list.

Yeah, I only didn't include it because it was my #1 album last year.  I hope it makes the final list, though.

Which year is/was it?

I'm confused.

i think their demo was doing the rounds in 2007 but the album proper didn't come out until this year. but the two basically sound identical as far as i can tell, and have pretty much all the same songs in the same order. so i guess some people put the demo on their 2007 lists and didn't feel like the album release in 2008 was actually new music to them.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #39 on: Dec 02, 2008, 04:55:18 AM »

Aah.  Thanks.

Wally

« Reply #40 on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:25:31 AM »

Man I haven't listened to shit that's new this year.

I'm sure I have, but I can't think of what.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
edison

« Reply #41 on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:28:47 AM »

A Weather!
Wally

« Reply #42 on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:38:24 AM »

Oh yeah! I liked that.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
edison

« Reply #43 on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:40:20 AM »

Yeah, Alex's post reminded me that it should be on my list too.
sashwap

« Reply #44 on: Dec 02, 2008, 07:46:28 AM »

(in no real order, yet)

boston spaceships - brown submarine
the music tapes - music tapes for clouds and tornadoes
chad vangaalen - soft airplane
marnie stern - this is it...
r.e.m. - accelerate
stephen malkmus & the jicks - real emotional trash
robert pollard - robert pollard is off to business
the capstan shafts - fixation protocols
women - women
sigur ros - međ suđ í eyrum viđ spilum endalaust
times new viking - rip it off
blitzen trapper - furr
singer - unhistories
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2009, 04:51:28 PM by sashwap » Logged
dieblucasdie

« Reply #45 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:12:22 AM »

8.  She & Him - Volume I

I'm not sure anymore and can't find the thread in question, but I thought you were the one who started that  "Is this what indie rock is coming to?" thread about that album?

(edit: found it! http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,10083.0.html Explanations eagerly awaited Smile )

Anyway, looking forward to reading all these lists, I'll take a few weeks to have mine ready, because right now, I only know n°1, pretty much.

Damn it, I was banking on no one actually remembering what I say.  But yeah, I shouldn't judge albums after just one listen, let's put it that way.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008, 08:23:17 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

dieblucasdie

« Reply #46 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:19:19 AM »

Which year is/was it?

I'm confused.

i think their demo was doing the rounds in 2007 but the album proper didn't come out until this year. but the two basically sound identical as far as i can tell, and have pretty much all the same songs in the same order. so i guess some people put the demo on their 2007 lists and didn't feel like the album release in 2008 was actually new music to them.

Yeah, it was self-released and was basically a proper album.  The tracklisting only differs by one song from the s/t album they released this year, and even the production is pretty much the same.  If I did a blind test you'd have a hard time picking out which versions were on which album, and even distinguishing between them.  They are that close.  I would feel differently if it came out in like Dec 07 or something, but I think I had it in like February.  I just feel like I've listened to so much music since then.  Also there's the sticky practical issue of "Where do I put an album that's almost identical to my #1 2007 album on this list?"

There's not a hard-and-fast rule, I definitely do not want to get into policing what counts as 2008.  There's this huge/hilarious flamewar going on in the Waffles 2008 thread about whether that Bon Iver album counts (I guess it was technically self-released in 2007 and only actually released this year). 
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008, 08:21:04 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

edison

« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:28:30 AM »

8.  She & Him - Volume I

Damn it, I was banking on no one actually remembering what I say.  But yeah, I shouldn't judge albums after just one listen, let's put it that way.

Well, you did say "five or six listens" in that thread, hehe. Really, it's just funny that I defended that album at the time and it's going to end up much lower on my list than on yours. Glad you ended up liking it, though.
alistarr*

« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:29:44 AM »

for this year's list i'm demonstrably ignoring any kind of reissue ruling by including two reissues but omitting another album i probably like just as much, without any good reason.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #49 on: Dec 02, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »

There's not a hard-and-fast rule, I definitely do not want to get into policing what counts as 2008.  There's this huge/hilarious flamewar going on in the Waffles 2008 thread about whether that Bon Iver album counts (I guess it was technically self-released in 2007 and only actually released this year).

For me, it's more a case that much of the music I buy in any given year can be quite old.  I suspect if I think it's new enough, even if it's not 2008, it'll be in with a shout.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 28
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: LPTJ Best of 2008 Thread
Jump to: