Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:00:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 90 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I feel weird for posting this, but what the heck.  (Read 2266 times)
Charming Tedious

« on: Jan 16, 2005, 07:03:12 PM »

So, as some of you know I'm in this band, Cactus Flower Wonderland Band, with my friend Kate.

Our friend Gordon, aka Lone Pigeon, formerly of the Beta Band, is starting a new record label called Whizz Kidzz.  He's really into Kate's songs and wants to put out an album of them.  So she'll be flying over to scotland, Feb 5th, for 12 days of recording.  But the label is really young and they can only afford one plane ticket.

So, if I can come up with $850 airfare from Walla Walla to Edinburgh, I can go with her, and all my arrangements and ideas and vocal harmonies will be on the album.  

$850 and one of my lifelong fantasies will come true.  

I think you see where this is going.

Click here to donate via paypal

It feels weird and spammy to post this here.  I'm sorry if this bugs anyone.  I'm just not sure I'll ever have an opportunity to do something like this again, and I don't wanna miss it.
mackro

« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2005, 07:42:06 PM »

I don't want your dreams crushed by any means, and I don't want to make you feel guilty or anything, but...

..you do realize this is probably the worst time to be asking for donations online given the current state of world as far as disaster aftermaths and relief efforts, right?

I would look into pooling resources from people closer to you, if you want to have a chance at this, z'all I'm sayin'.

...which give it a colonic appeal and the awkward sense that you might be a suppository.
Charming Tedious

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2005, 07:54:31 PM »

Yeah, I recognize that.  Damn that tsunami compassion fatigue.  But a few folks have actually donated already!  It warms my heart.

The annoyingly asking for $ on the internet thing is just a small part of a multi-prong strategy, which also includes annoyingly asking everyone we know, and annoyingly busking in front of the Student Union Building every day.
milly balgeary

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2005, 08:18:32 PM »

how kome they pay for kate's ticket, not yours.. isn't that like inviting half the band?

peckinpah

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2005, 08:22:25 PM »

maybe she's the only one that fits the suit.

Charming Tedious

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2005, 09:00:38 PM »

Kate writes and sings the songs.  We were "signed" on the basis of a demo I recorded in the kitchen a couple summers back of just kate's singing and guitar, which we only even made so I could learn the songs; and also on the basis of a couple songs she played at a birthday party.  So the label hasn't really heard my contributions yet; I can't really blame them for not being able to spring for another ticket.
John
edit0r

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2005, 09:03:02 PM »

for the record, you're gonna save a couple hundred bucks if you catch a ride to Seattle - take it from a guy who lived in Iowa for a number of years
Charming Tedious

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2005, 10:00:41 PM »

Duly noted, though i'm scared about the mountain pass conditions.  it's super snowy.  But I guess this is why I have snow tires.
John
edit0r

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2005, 10:10:32 PM »

Oooh then forget I said anything. Driving through mountains in the snow isn't worth a shot at making a cool record. Seriously.
milly balgeary

« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2005, 01:08:26 AM »

iowa is the BEST. don't believe the ANTICHRIST like HYPE. you should MOVE here. dude, do you like hyvee? its a ..grocery store. as you shall soon learn, tedious one. and SUPER wal mart. you can buy LIQUOR there, along with sam's club toilet paper, and they have self-checkouts where they watch you gleaming a devil's spying eye as you run your shit across the LASER.
i buy shit just to check myself out. like women's underwear and things.
because ... i can ChECK myself out! it RULES

milly balgeary

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2005, 01:12:53 AM »

more on iowa. i feel like you WANT to know.
cat ladies. there are many women who own man kats. it is a qwality that proves life in iowa is beautiful. they own these krazy kats and spend their lives...

oh plus there are kum and gos. that is HUGE. its a gas station. dude, why haven't you MOVED here yet. pack your shit up. i'll hang out with you. i've got four arms which makes it easy to manipulate nuclear material in case you have a portable WMD station or something, which is SUSPECT.

milly balgeary

« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2005, 01:14:16 AM »

if you have a PORTABLE WMD STATION i will turn you in. tedious. there is no reason you have such. and don't give me, "cheap power supply" excuses. sorry g, but like fity says, "if you live in a glass house you shoudl watch your jaw!"

W. Earl Piglet

« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2005, 03:55:19 PM »

What if you don't end up making it?
Will you give the money back?
Charming Tedious

« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2005, 05:34:11 PM »

oh yeah if i end up being unable to go i will definitely return the money.
El_Josharino

« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2005, 06:16:58 PM »

Milly's right, Kum and Go's are wonderful and self-checkouts are tons-o-fun.  But screw Iowa, move to NEBRASKA instead.  Because who would want to live in a state whose name stands for Idiots Out Wandering Around?

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
Charming Tedious

« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2005, 07:19:07 PM »

though it would be funny if i was like, "didn't get enough to go to scotland, but i can afford to go to cancun for spring break"
milly balgeary

« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2005, 07:32:20 PM »

there's get in go here. i don't THINK nebraska is near that klassy.

Charming Tedious

« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2005, 10:05:27 AM »

Woah, unforseen complications.  People better hold off on any further donations for the time being.  More as it develops.
Charming Tedious

« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2005, 01:44:19 PM »

Dear awesome generous people,

Some of you made a donation to help me fly to scotland to make a record.-*There has been a change of plans. -*For various logistical reasons I'm not going to flying over this time around. However, I am still going to be able to have my vocals and arrangements included on the album; -*I'll just be overdubbing them here in the US. -*This is perhaps less exciting than traveling to the UK, but I think it will probably result in a better album, as there won't be the pressure of limited studio time.

I was very moved by people's generosity in helping me raise money, and you have my deepest thanks. -*If you donated, you should find that your Paypal accounts will be credited with the amount you sent me by Monday, January 31.

In the meantime, I will be officially launching my record label next
month. -*Our website will be located at http://charmingtedious.com and
should be up in February!

Again, thanks, and happy groundhog day!
cold before sunrise

« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2005, 10:51:02 AM »

well so much for redirecting the dollars i was going to put towards tsunami compassion towards a cause i actually have faith in... now where am i going to donate 5% of my income to? one of my dorkier pals dragged me to a seminar on financial planning that convinced me that i need to start making more donations. people should make more donations. not to big charities but in support of stuff like this, for sure.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
TheNames

« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2005, 04:49:35 PM »

Good luck with the general musical asskicking. :wink:

If I had a nickel for every cigarette your mother smoked...
I'd be dead.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: I feel weird for posting this, but what the heck.
Jump to: