Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 17, 2014, 05:42:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657231 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 78 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: God Damn Job, Now, Finally, In Its Right Forum, So Everyone Whose Brain Has Been  (Read 30669 times)
edison

« Reply #200 on: Jun 09, 2008, 05:42:33 AM »

I never thought being responsible for interns would be this exhausting. I mean, come on, they have almost finished their studies, they're about one/two years younger than I am, and they behave like 12-year-olds (at best). I am completely mystified.

To wit, one of them just made me go to their office to "fix something": it turns out she had put a "Monsters, Inc." picture on her desktop and she couldn't figure out how to change it. I don't know if I should scream at them or laugh it off, really, but shit like this is wasting a LOT of my time.
diesel_powered

« Reply #201 on: Jun 09, 2008, 06:05:18 AM »

While my instinct is to scream at them, perhaps a short lecture about how this does not conform to accepted standards of "professional behavior" is in order? They are interns. If they don't get a good talking to now, how will they learn to hide their desktop changes and LPTJ surfing from those in charge?

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
edison

« Reply #202 on: Jun 09, 2008, 06:10:00 AM »

I guess you're right. I just feel really weird about this, seeing as they are about the same age as I am but it feels like they are ten years younger. Not used to lecturing people or screaming at them, I guess.

Also, I wish they were cool enough to indulge in LPTJ surfing, but from what I've heard, I believe their internet surfing is more about finding picture of pretty boys and ask each other whether they would date the guy. Sigh.
C of heartbreak

« Reply #203 on: Jun 09, 2008, 08:23:42 AM »

My coworkers are all older than me and get paid more than me, and I'm constantly fixing shit that they fuck up, so count yr blessings.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #204 on: Jun 10, 2008, 01:02:17 AM »

Damn, there ain't much worse than being woken up by your phone, a voice on the other line asking you where the hell you are, 'cause you were supposed to be at work 2 hours ago?

I got that today. They swapped the schedule out on me yesterday, I thought I had the day off, I am passed out and the phone rings with aforementioned phonecall.

The problem with living in the city is you can't "rush" to work... you can only get there so quick via public transit.

Totally throws off your day.
diesel_powered

« Reply #205 on: Jun 10, 2008, 01:13:46 AM »

I guess you're right. I just feel really weird about this, seeing as they are about the same age as I am but it feels like they are ten years younger. Not used to lecturing people or screaming at them, I guess.

Also, I wish they were cool enough to indulge in LPTJ surfing, but from what I've heard, I believe their internet surfing is more about finding picture of pretty boys and ask each other whether they would date the guy. Sigh.

I ran into this when I first started teaching. It's hard to be an authority when you're totally anti-authority, doubly so when you're yelling at your peers. I guess the way I get around it is to make sure that all my ass kicking is deserved, respectful, and makes it clear that it's entirely concerned with making their work better. I guess I think it's better to get yelled at by me, someone who respects them and cares about their skills, than someone who won't be so concerned. YMMV, etc.

edison

« Reply #206 on: Jun 10, 2008, 09:49:40 AM »

Yeah. Problem is in this case they don't have that many skills I could respect or care about, sadly. Plus there are also complicating factors I just heard about. No idea how I'm going to deal with all this.
Greg Nog

« Reply #207 on: Jun 10, 2008, 11:21:10 AM »

I was just reading a thing on my workplace's website about a Patient's Story, and I realized that "patient's story" is an anagram for "poetry's taints".
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2008, 03:13:47 PM by Greg Nog » Logged
sassymcassface

« Reply #208 on: Jun 10, 2008, 03:13:13 PM »

friday afternoon i'm going to sit down with several of my coworkers and the ceo of the company to discuss the fact that we are basically being treated like shit and miserable. our supervisor is derogatory and insulting on a good day, and admits he is only looking out for himself and wants to know everyone's personal business.
suffice to say, the past week has sucked, and this week is looking like it could suck too.

at least i know he loves me. he keeps giving me soviet themed toys and stuff.

cake cake cake cake cake cake
diesel_powered

« Reply #209 on: Jun 11, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »

I was just reading a thing on my workplace's website about a Patient's Story, and I realized that "patient's story" is an anagram for "poetry's taints".

This almost made beer shoot out of my nose and across the room.

The_Tourist

« Reply #210 on: Jun 12, 2008, 06:04:51 PM »

so my boss has taken to grabbing things off my desk, digging through my work, and occasionally throwing things (which occasionally break on the desk in front of me) under the assumption that it will help things get done quicker.

wtf.

we have the money for missiles and fun
G.C.R

« Reply #211 on: Jun 13, 2008, 01:04:45 AM »

Sad I want one. I really want one.

(a job I mean. Not an angry boss.)

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
alistarr*

« Reply #212 on: Jun 13, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »

well, it's friday, it's closing in on 6pm, and i've been working since about 7 this morning with not much of a break to speak of. it's days like this i was trying to avoid with my job-selection policy, so clearly i screwed up. the solution: don't roll in on monday until about lunchtime-ish.

small problems.
sassymcassface

« Reply #213 on: Jun 17, 2008, 12:30:01 PM »

i'm going to beat the person in the cubicle next to me to death with my stapler.
he is quite possibly the dumbest person i have ever met and it is so difficult to look him in the face and not spit on him.

dumbfish

« Reply #214 on: Jun 17, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »

We're starting a new project in Hawa'ii, and we're looking to hire someone. Previously, the powers that be had indicated that my gf had the inside track on that gig. I was foolish enough to pass that info along to her. I had to tell her the other day that we're hiring someone else. Awkward.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
El_Josharino

« Reply #215 on: Jun 17, 2008, 10:50:18 PM »

Work today was brutal 6 hour support call that kept me there an extra 2 and a half hours. And I have to pick up where we left off in the morning. Thank goodness for the beer which is temporarily making me not mind.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
elpollodiablo

« Reply #216 on: Jun 17, 2008, 10:59:17 PM »

Hey I got a referral from an old drinking buddy for an entry-level publishing gig at a big press in NYC. Yay!

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #217 on: Jun 18, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »

Holy damn, that's great!
DCDave

« Reply #218 on: Jun 18, 2008, 12:14:36 PM »

Hey I got a referral from an old drinking buddy for an entry-level publishing gig at a big press in NYC. Yay!

Which press?  If it's St. Martin's, let me know.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #219 on: Jun 18, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »

It's not. It's a large, well-known one based in the UK. You do work with St. Martin's, I take it?

Anyway, nothing's for sure yet, but I am sending him my CV today. Wish me luck!

think 'on the road.'
sassymcassface

« Reply #220 on: Jun 18, 2008, 12:57:41 PM »

hmmm, i think they may have just fired another person.

WTF GUYS THIS ISN'T COOL ANYMORE.

edit: okay, he did not get fired.
i don't have to cry now.

though it's going to be funny later when the ceo asks the new guy why there were chunks of marijuana in his cubicle yesterday lololol
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2008, 02:11:51 PM by sassymcassface » Logged

The_Tourist

« Reply #221 on: Jun 18, 2008, 04:40:56 PM »

the trademark office is a bunch o' bitches. not liking my specimen, then acting all high and mighty about statements and commerce and what not.

they can blow it out their asses (with completion of the proper forms accompanied by a specimen that is a substantially exact representation of said ass blowing with corresponding declarations and all appropriate fees, of course).

we have the money for missiles and fun
diesel_powered

« Reply #222 on: Jun 19, 2008, 07:51:39 PM »

though it's going to be funny later when the ceo asks the new guy why there were chunks of marijuana in his cubicle yesterday lololol

Story plz!

Also, I am currently babysitting a presentation on nanotechnology. Gotta say it's pretty cool what wit the tinyness and science and all.

Good Intentions

« Reply #223 on: Jun 19, 2008, 07:52:57 PM »

This is new: I got a rejection letter through the post. The fact that this is the first employer to take the trouble to send me a rejection in hard copy rather than just email it makes me all the more bummed that they hate me.
sassymcassface

« Reply #224 on: Jun 19, 2008, 07:57:52 PM »

Story plz!

Also, I am currently babysitting a presentation on nanotechnology. Gotta say it's pretty cool what wit the tinyness and science and all.

nothing happened sadly.
they're really anti-confrontation here.
though he did piss off the cfo today real bad.

i am so excited.
i hope he gets fired.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: God Damn Job, Now, Finally, In Its Right Forum, So Everyone Whose Brain Has Been
Jump to: