Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 2014, 04:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 72 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: While greg nibbled on an unhealthy snack/tim roth what films have you watched?  (Read 91931 times)
guanajuato

« Reply #125 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:11:10 AM »

green mile. man, i never want to watch this movie, or the shawshank redemption, but when i do, i wanna sob.

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #126 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:32:41 AM »

Those two films have blended together in my memory, which is unfortunate, cause i'm pretty sure Shawshank was far better.

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
guanajuato

« Reply #127 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:37:51 AM »

they are both quite brilliant. you can probably make an argument that they aren't 'artistic' movies and are pretty standard hollywood fare but both movies do all the right things in all the right places, and i think that's sometimes better than the latest wes anderson movie. there's something, dare i say mystical, about evoking strong emotions about being human

Good Intentions

« Reply #128 on: Mar 24, 2008, 05:05:15 AM »

The Green Mile was hock. Total bilge. Housewife's Choice chodery. It fucking sucked.
Maaik

« Reply #129 on: Mar 24, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »

Shawshank though, I will agree, is fucking tops.

I need anne the man lessons
Wally

« Reply #130 on: Mar 24, 2008, 06:04:13 PM »

The Green Mile was hock. Total bilge. Housewife's Choice chodery. It fucking sucked.

Sing it sister!

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
guanajuato

« Reply #131 on: Mar 25, 2008, 12:10:25 AM »

that's crazy-talk. it's good. there is a certain category of movies you catch on tv, and just let them wash over you. good will hunting. jumanji. transformers. disturbia. the pursuit of happyness. and, the green mile. no one's callin em 'movie of the year' but they have a certain time wastin charm. it's not like the green mile is an attack on the senses, a travel guide to the elsewheres of the human soul. but it's not hanging out in the marquis de sade's sexy room either.

guanajuato

« Reply #132 on: Mar 25, 2008, 12:29:50 AM »

the deaths of ian stone

this movie was part of that 8 film horror festival. 8 films to die for. no scares at all -- though it did have 'twists'. i heard it was the best one, so what does that say. the actor who played ian stone was pretty watchable up to the last 15 minutes. and it had that girl who played the 'serial killing loving artist' in dexter season 2 as the baddie, and i love her.

Good Intentions

« Reply #133 on: Mar 25, 2008, 01:38:07 AM »

that's crazy-talk. it's good.
It's just not any good. The only thing it tries to do is give the audience a fish hook and drag it from one emotional state to another against its will. Liking this movie just shows that you've come to like having some dude put his finger in your mouth and manipulate your head around.
Maaik

« Reply #134 on: Mar 25, 2008, 08:48:19 AM »

that's crazy-talk. it's good.
It's just not any good. The only thing it tries to do is give the audience a fish hook and drag it from one emotional state to another against its will. Liking this movie just shows that you've come to like having some dude put his finger in your mouth and manipulate your head around.

Ahh, summer camp...

Good Intentions

« Reply #135 on: Mar 25, 2008, 09:03:04 AM »

Where the lovable big kid wears elevator shoes and the camp leader's wife bakes apple pie for the kid whose parents come to pick him up early.
G.C.R

« Reply #136 on: Mar 26, 2008, 07:16:39 AM »

In our english lecture today we watched clips from both James Whale's Frankenstein and Murnau's Nosferatu, neither of which I have seen and now realise I really have to. That class is full of such fucking drongos though, everyone was laughing so much. HA HA HA people acted different in movies from the 1920s and there wasnt any talking in them or anything ha ha. The people in that class are such utter morons that I'm getting this hardcore self satisfied superiority about my own (pretty damn unremarkable) levels of intelligence. Grrr

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
difficult

« Reply #137 on: Mar 26, 2008, 08:34:02 AM »

I've actually been watching movies in the cinema, which is something I haven't been getting to do for months.
A friend took me to the Bruno Dumont film Flanders as a present - its only just turned up in NZ this month. For my money, probably his best since La Vie de Jesus - he's stripped out the extraneous or genre elements that figured large in Humanity and Twentynine Palms, and in hindsight it brings out the elemental force of his films real strong.

While I was there, had a chat with the guy who owns the cinema, and he insisted on giving me tickets to Red Road, so went to that tonight. Very strong physical filmmaking, and the first 70% of the film is real striking, even if it drifts just a tiny bit towards the end.

Also made me think a bit about the relatively disastrous editing job I've been doing, and how I can't be doing these kinds of jobs at the moment.
Fortunately tonight the manager of the cinema was there tonight, so I talked about getting a job there, and possibilities seem strong... Which was a good response in the circumstances. Money troubles really looming large, along with other things.

Your choke chain collars remind me of summer laughter
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #138 on: Mar 27, 2008, 04:52:48 AM »

Southland Tales.  There is so much about this film that I want to say that milly and pollo have already said.  Absolutely batshit.

EDIT: Jesus christ I want to write an essay about this movie and how accidentally brilliant it is.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008, 05:05:15 AM by Black Amnesia of Heaven » Logged

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #139 on: Mar 27, 2008, 02:04:30 PM »

right now at the $2 theater that's 3 blocks from my work, the 7:15 show is "no country for old men" and the 9:45 is "there will be blood". i'm highly tempted to go to both of them tonight, especially since the movies change tomorrow and there's a good chance one or both will be gone.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jebreject

« Reply #140 on: Mar 27, 2008, 02:09:54 PM »

shit dude, 4 bucks for two awesome fucking movies

HTS

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Maaik

« Reply #141 on: Mar 27, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »

I wish there was a dollar cinema around here.  There used to be one in Conyers but I think it's a church now.

guanajuato

« Reply #142 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:33:24 AM »

series 7 the contendors was on the sundance channel. i'd seen it some years ago, finally tracking it down after a long wait, and i thought it was 'ok'. watching it a second time, i was struck by it's brilliance. back then i didn't really understand the reality tv craze, but after a few steady months of ramsey's nightmare kitchen and top chef, i thought series 7 was a lot better the second time around. the satire was biting, the characterization fantastic, and the set pieces and editing spot on for a reality tv show. i was shocked to see will arnett, i didn't know who he was back then. it's a lot better film than battle royale even though battle royale gets all the cult classic nods.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #143 on: Mar 29, 2008, 02:10:55 PM »

The Brave One has little to recommend it cinematically, except gross racial politics. Oh, that's not "cinematic." I almost recommend it because it is so fucked up, the way it attempts to split the difference between Neil Jordan and Joel Silver. It's the worst kind of Miramax-y art house, pretentious not artistically but philosophically. If you do see it, Whit, I have to know what you think, particularly seeing how you're well versed in the genre it's pretending to critique or subvert.

I just saw this yesterday, and I agree 100%. What a turgid, worthless piece of shit. It reminds me of why I dislike Funny Games so much--that smug superiority that doesn't even recognize that its weak "critique" is often already located in the films it imagines itself to be critiquing. At least Funny Games wasn't this boring. And what in the FUCK was Neil Jordan thinking with that horrible, horrible scene that cuts back and forth between Jodi Foster gettin' busy and then her battered and bruised body like he's Nicholas fucking Roeg or something . . . then doing the exact same thing AGAIN later in the movie?!?! Also I'm afraid "the always reliable Terrence Howard," as I often see him called, must now be demoted to "the usually reliable Terrence Howard," because he phoned this in over a bad connection. Man, I disliked this film so much that I've retroactively elevated Death Sentence in stature because it was at least FUN.

Adding to my ire--though it's not really the film's fault--is the fact that the Netflix sleeve says 1 hour 30 minutes but the damn thing runs about 20 minutes past that. Though I guess I can't blame the Netflix crew for turning it off early and sparing themselves the godawful conclusion. Fucking hell.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #144 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »

so i rented hatchet last night and it was intensely entertaining. i wasnt expecting it to go the horror/comedy route, but it was well done and not annoying or overly smirky so it was whatever. and the gore was nicely over the top. wayyyy over the top. im definitely going to pick up the nice dvd of this one. its going to be a great getting drunk with friends and giggling maniacally while people get their faces belt sanded off kind of movie.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #145 on: Mar 29, 2008, 10:44:12 PM »

and the gore was nicely over the top.

I read this as a reference to Al Gore, and it made me REALLY want to see the movie.

I got all "indie" last night and watched a bunch of films in the Art/Festival section of my local video store. The most notable (and least low-budget, it seems) of which was Brick, which was actually way better than what I had been led to believe. I was pleasantly surprised. Mostly cause I have a major thing for that girl who plays Claire on LOST and Tess on Roswell.

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
Ah_Pook

« Reply #146 on: Mar 30, 2008, 12:30:54 AM »

its more a reference to this kind of thing Smile

watch the futurama episodes al gore is on to get some nice ridicuous al gore action going, though. he has some great lines on there.

guanajuato

« Reply #147 on: Mar 30, 2008, 01:14:19 AM »

i thought hatchet was kind of terrible, pook. for what they were doing, it just was not funny enough.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #148 on: Mar 30, 2008, 02:40:43 AM »

The most notable (and least low-budget, it seems) of which was Brick, which was actually way better than what I had been led to believe. I was pleasantly surprised. Mostly cause I have a major thing for that girl who plays Claire on LOST and Tess on Roswell.

i don't know what crackheads led you to believe it was anything other than one of the top 10 films of the past decade, but uh, yeah.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #149 on: Mar 30, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »

i thought hatchet was kind of terrible, pook. for what they were doing, it just was not funny enough.

it wasnt terribly funny, but it also wasnt terribly unfunny. and the humor wasnt annoying either way, to me. most horror comedies just totally miss on the humor angle and get all annoying and wink wink about shit, and they avoided that well enough for me to give a pass on the rest of it. its all just a vehicle to get to the running terrified through the woods and getting limbs hacked off by a mutant swamp monster anyway, and on that they delivered in spades!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: While greg nibbled on an unhealthy snack/tim roth what films have you watched?
Jump to: