Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 20, 2014, 04:57:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20
Print
Author Topic: Music on youtube  (Read 46290 times)
sashwap

« Reply #350 on: Jul 31, 2009, 10:48:24 AM »

Not necessarily music, but the new Mark Prindle video review is both hilarious and NSFW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-81V0fRtAo

I didn't want to let this pass without comment.  I love Mark Prindle's reviews and I had no idea he was doing videos now.  Hilarity!

yeah, they're great. i also recommend befriending him on facebook.
donblood
« Reply #351 on: Jul 31, 2009, 10:54:19 AM »

(oh and Thermo, one more in the that-story-is-hilarious camp)
coldforge

« Reply #352 on: Jul 31, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »

I think that story's pretty dire, except for the yelling guy. My own Cage story was told by a professor of mine, who was driving him from a performance down the west side highway one evening, and was absolutely shattered with nerves because, you know, it was John Cage in the backseat. Anyway, they get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, so everybody's honking and it's basically a really unpleasant scene. And Cage asks him to open the windows so he could listen to the music in the street. At least the dude ate his own dog food.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
alex

« Reply #353 on: Jul 31, 2009, 11:09:04 AM »

I think that story's pretty dire, except for the yelling guy.

"That joke wasn't funny, except for the punchline"?
Thermofusion

« Reply #354 on: Jul 31, 2009, 11:17:05 AM »

I could've went with a more relevant story of performing 4'33" in a concert that also included performances of Variations IV and several from the Music for Piano series, but there weren't any laffs, save for a handful of under-informed audience members looking confused (but you always have those)

Anyway sorry if I reacted strongly, I just thought kyle's dismissal of the piece was reactionary and misinformed.

triple paisley minimum
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #355 on: Jul 31, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »

I'm with the people above me, even though I don't like their tone, for the most part.

You call an important piece of music "the stupidest thing ever" without argument or justification, you ask to be smacked around.

This highlights a fundamental disagreement between the two of us about how one should behave towards other people. Just sayin.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Greg Nog

« Reply #356 on: Jul 31, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »

I like the solo timpani thing, actually.
donblood
« Reply #357 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:02:25 PM »

I'm with the people above me, even though I don't like their tone, for the most part.

You call an important piece of music "the stupidest thing ever" without argument or justification, you ask to be smacked around.

This highlights a fundamental disagreement between the two of us about how one should behave towards other people. Just sayin.

Haha ooookay Andrew.  I guess you're more in the "someone making an off-hand comment addressed to no one in particular about a Minor Threat lyric requires me to write five pages explaining why they're wrong and calling them a dick" camp.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #358 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:14:40 PM »

I wouldn't call someone a dick, but the rest of that, yeah, totally.

donblood
« Reply #359 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:21:27 PM »

Well obviously you wouldn't say "you're wrong and you're a dick" because that would be too succinct.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #360 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:26:39 PM »

It'd be succinct to the point of not expressing what I want to express. I tend not to think people are dicks when they express opinions I disagree with, and in fact, I tend not to even believe in the ideas a lot of people have about "right/wrong" where concerns any form of art. I'm pretty heavily invested in the idea that all that shit is subjective and therefore the only thing that's wrong is telling someone they're wrong. I think it's better to present your own opinion and back it up with examples and such, hopefully inspiring someone else to re-examine the opinion that they hold and you disagree with.

I think people who replace all of that with "you're wrong and you're a dick" are wrong, and are probably dicks.

Nick Ink

« Reply #361 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:28:59 PM »

It'd be succinct to the point of not expressing what I want to express. I tend not to think people are dicks when they express opinions I disagree with, and in fact, I tend not to even believe in the ideas a lot of people have about "right/wrong" where concerns any form of art. I'm pretty heavily invested in the idea that all that shit is subjective and therefore the only thing that's wrong is telling someone they're wrong. I think it's better to present your own opinion and back it up with examples and such, hopefully inspiring someone else to re-examine the opinion that they hold and you disagree with.

I think people who replace all of that with "you're wrong and you're a dick" are wrong, and are probably dicks.

wow, that's pretty succinct

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
donblood
« Reply #362 on: Jul 31, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »

I'm pretty heavily invested in the idea that all that shit is subjective and therefore the only thing that's wrong is telling someone they're wrong.

a) Didn't you just agree that you'd say people were wrong?
b) I wasn't referring to art so much as the fact that we can't talk about Minor Threat without your flying off the handle about the CULTURE OF ALCOHOL
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #363 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:23:21 PM »

You mentioned someone getting a lyric wrong. Yeah, in that case, I'd tell them they were wrong, because lyrics are concrete facts--a person is singing one thing, and not another.

But that's not really what this conversation is about. It's about kyle expressing an opinion, admittedly uninformed but an opinion nonetheless, and a bunch of people basically going "you're wrong and you're an idiot." I certainly disagree with what Kyle was saying, and agree with the substance of the 4'33" defenses that were posted, but I don't think it follows that him having one less-than-perfectly-informed opinion means he's an idiot and should be called such. So I said I disagreed with the tone, which is what started this whole conversation. I think my position is pretty consistent where issues like this are concerned, and I think someone getting a lyric wrong is a different sort of issue.

That said, that whole Minor Threat thing is something that happened once, and it's been months now since it happened. I'm thinking you've been waiting to throw it in my face for a while. So my question to you is: why? If I said something that bothered you that you didn't mention to me at the time, why didn't you? Your last couple of posts are obviously designed to hurt my feelings, and I'm still making the effort to continue discussing this in a calm, rational manner, so obviously I would have been open to discussing whatever it is that you didn't bring up at the time. Or if it's something you did bring up at the time, and you're just still mad about it... again, why? I can easily point out half a dozen examples where miles or coldforge said something to me on this board that offended me in the extreme, but I certainly don't let that carry over into the way I talk to them now, and I definitely wouldn't bring up something one of them said to me two years ago if they made me mad tomorrow. There's no reason for that kind of shit. It's a new day. Let it go.

donblood
« Reply #364 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:28:46 PM »

Nah, not offended, I just thought it was funny that you were like "we have a basic disagreement about how humans should interact," all on the conversational high horse and everything, and I thought, "yeah, I like to be direct with people, and if they come at a conversation with This Is The Stupidest Thing Ever, I'll explain why it's not, in roughly equivalent terms, whereas Andrew will take ten years to explain that he's on a higher mental and spiritual plane than the poster."  And the Minor Threat thing came to mind, because it was a great example of your posting style being completely ridiculous.

Personally I'd much rather have someone tell me "you're wrong and you're a dick" than gaze at his navel for a while and conclude he's a superior human, then subject me to a dissertation on why this is so.

As far as my saving the Minor Threat thing up to throw it in your face - join us here on the ground, Persecution Complex Jones.
donblood
« Reply #365 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »

PS - and I'm being completely earnest here - I would LOVE to meet you face-to-face, Andrew.  I hope it can happen someday.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #366 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »

Holy shit. So I try not to be a dick and everyone takes it like I'm saying I'm better than them? I give up.

coldforge

« Reply #367 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:43:02 PM »

I feel like you carry SOME stuff around. I think you said I should get hit by a bus a couple times.

č l'era del terzo mondo.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #368 on: Jul 31, 2009, 01:47:46 PM »

I felt terrible about that within maybe 20 minutes of saying it. Pretty sure it was just the once, but whatever, you may be right, I'm not arguing the point. But anyway, I'm just a human being, and one with a lot of mental problems (as I'm sure everyone here is aware), so it's a tough job for me to live up to my own standards and sometimes I fail to do so. And believe me, I do feel really bad about it when it happens. I don't think you and I will ever get along, because in all honesty I perceive you as someone who enjoys making other people feel bad and I can't respect that, but I apologize for wishing you harm because that was wrong of me.

And also, don: when I was younger I got a lot of shit from people for stating my opinions in a way that framed mine as being correct and others as being incorrect. I thought about that for years and eventually arrived at the way I talk about it now for the express purpose of avoiding being someone who acts as if my opinions are the only correct ones. But now you're saying that me being like "I disagree with you, here's why" is worse than just being like "fuck you, you're wrong and I'm right," and that blows my mind, because it makes me feel like there is no way for me to ever discuss anything remotely subjective without someone getting offended. I like talking about this kind of shit, so for me that's a real bummer.

Maaik

« Reply #369 on: Jul 31, 2009, 07:21:16 PM »

Nah, not offended, I just thought it was funny that you were like "we have a basic disagreement about how humans should interact," all on the conversational high horse and everything, and I thought, "yeah, I like to be direct with people, and if they come at a conversation with This Is The Stupidest Thing Ever, I'll explain why it's not, in roughly equivalent terms, whereas Andrew will take ten years to explain that he's on a higher mental and spiritual plane than the poster."

Personally I'd much rather have someone tell me "you're wrong and you're a dick" than gaze at his navel for a while and conclude he's a superior human, then subject me to a dissertation on why this is so.

This is funny because I see GI's style of argument to be a perfect combination of these two techniques.

I need anne the man lessons
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #370 on: Aug 08, 2009, 10:59:30 PM »

An episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast that features Thurston Moore but is really more of a bizarre and beautiful tribute to Sonny Sharrock.

Maaik

« Reply #371 on: Aug 17, 2009, 11:22:35 AM »

Hey, this is pretty funny:

A whole Slayer album AT THE SAME TIME.

I think this is actually what Hell sounds like.

Also: clearly, "Angel of Death" is the longest song on Reign in Blood.

I need anne the man lessons
donblood
« Reply #372 on: Aug 17, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »

I kind of liked it, actually.

Much like "How You Remind Me of Someday" is much better than the component songs:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvujgcbaCF8
donblood
« Reply #373 on: Aug 17, 2009, 11:29:03 AM »

Um, not like that at all, since I love Slayer.  I don't know why I said that.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #374 on: Aug 18, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »

Not sure how the hell this exists, but it fucking rules that it does:

The Replacements playing Chuck Berry's "Maybellene" at 7th St. Entry, September 1981

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Music on youtube
Jump to: