Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 06:24:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 85 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The Consolidated "Slate Is Stupid" Thread  (Read 30469 times)
guanajuato

« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2008, 04:47:08 PM »

...You're like, using that quote as an example of something good?  I don't really know how to respond.

I didn't expect drawn-out, painful exegesis from a Bible Blogging series, but I did expect someone vaguely curious about delving into the text of the Bible as opposed to someone who just wanted to use the Bible as an excuse to talk bullshit for a year.  And he just got so. many. things. wrong. that he could've gotten right if he spent two minutes googling. 

And milly, I disagree that there are places with worse election coverage.  At least, none as well-known as Slate.  Did you see that article claiming Obama would win because he's like Bugs Bunny?  Or the Emily Yoffe piece about single mothers destroying America?  Slate's been on a slow decline for at least the past 3 years, I can't believe it has any apologists left.

do you really think it's inconceivable to draw enjoyment from a guy connecting adam naming all the animals in the bible to obsessive cataloguing behavior, eg: the guy who visited all the starbucks? it's so literally inconceivable that you 'don't know how to respond?' are you slack in your seat, open-mouthed, looking around for someone to tap on the shoulder and say, "omg you won't gotta read this, THIS BEGGARS BELIEF!!" for people who think the bible is silly bullshit, a guy going chapter by chapter through the bible, writing silly bullshit about it, is... just what the doctor ordered.

c'mon, you're really stretching it with this slate vendetta, but i can see you feel strongly about it. i could sit here for a while and debate how slate should be loved, etc, and give examples of past articles i've  enjoyed but all that would require much more effort than i can possibly provide on this oh so rainy afternoon of energy sapping darknesss.

but, like as not, i would nary make a chink in your impregnable wall of slate hate, and i would expend the last amount of energy i have (it runs low on rainy days) and i would probably end up feeling irritated that you didn't finally decide that you didn't hate slate, and i would go off, and eat a snack, and forget about it. to save myself the effort, i am going to respect that you have an opinion i disagree with, nod at you pleasantly, and go enjoy the snack without the debate!

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
coldforge

« Reply #26 on: Mar 27, 2008, 04:49:28 PM »

can i have a snack

è l'era del terzo mondo.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #27 on: Mar 27, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »

Could someone help jon out and link to the Slate piece that says D&D always sucked and G. Gygax is a big loser k thx bye

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #28 on: Mar 27, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »

for people who think the bible is silly bullshit, a guy going chapter by chapter through the bible, writing silly bullshit about it, is... just what the doctor ordered.

I could buy this, if Plotz's writing were even remotely funny.  As it is, it's just smug and flat.  Same with his Wire writing.

I mean, he's not doing this as a joke.  You get the sense that he thinks this project is Really Important.

edit:  That's a good idea though.  I'd like to see YOU writing a blog about the bible cracking insane jokes every second.  THAT I would read.
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2008, 05:46:36 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #29 on: Mar 27, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »

Plotz was on NPR it seemed like four times a day while that blog was happening

think 'on the road.'
guanajuato

« Reply #30 on: Mar 28, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »

for people who think the bible is silly bullshit, a guy going chapter by chapter through the bible, writing silly bullshit about it, is... just what the doctor ordered.

I could buy this, if Plotz's writing were even remotely funny.  As it is, it's just smug and flat.  Same with his Wire writing.

I mean, he's not doing this as a joke.  You get the sense that he thinks this project is Really Important.

edit:  That's a good idea though.  I'd like to see YOU writing a blog about the bible cracking insane jokes every second.  THAT I would read.

I dunno, that bible blog offered me an entertaining read whilst sitting in an office. It's not always great, but it has some great aspects.

Ha! That would require me to read the bible, and everytime I come close to one, my eyes water and orange tic tacs start popping from my belly button. I think someone is trying to tell me something.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #31 on: Mar 28, 2008, 02:31:02 PM »

milly, if we ever hang out, i'm coming armed with a bible and a bunch of empty tic tac boxes.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
guanajuato

« Reply #32 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:10:26 AM »

well, my friend, just don't eat them tictacs to freshen your palate or offer them to passing innocents.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #33 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:11:15 AM »

wass happenin milly

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
guanajuato

« Reply #34 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:14:37 AM »

hey there freddy my man! how's the lawyerin?

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #35 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:15:43 AM »

faggy.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #36 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:16:15 AM »

I have to go argue against this midget tomorrow.  Other than that its pretty good.

good night milly

guanajuato

« Reply #37 on: Mar 29, 2008, 12:21:03 AM »

just wait till you and your lovely wife of the future end up in new york, working for al pacino, and one day you walk into his office and he introduces himself as the devil. g'night dogg!

dieblucasdie

« Reply #38 on: Mar 29, 2008, 03:34:17 AM »

re: last five post valadate hole live, etc.

lastclearchance

« Reply #39 on: Apr 14, 2008, 08:06:19 PM »

didn't want to interrupt the kristol discussion in the "stupidest thing you read" to discuss something upthread there, so, just to respond to the D&D thing way upthread there because I missed it first time around: if you're not judiciously handing out xp for good roleplaying you're not doing it right. Slate and his bros were too uncreative to do anything but grind away at level after level of a deep basement dungeon like they were goldfarmers playing Diablo, and they did it enough that he felt the need to write this piece. I know, "NERDS KEEP DOING THE SAME UNFULFILLING THING OVER AND OVER AND THEN BLAME SOMEONE ELSE FOR THEIR DISAPPOINTMENT, MORE AT ELEVEN" but really.

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
dieblucasdie

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 07:16:40 PM »

http://www.slate.com/id/2189303/

why God why

Ignatius

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 07:25:55 PM »

Sometimes I get really anxious that this election cycle coincided w/ some really weird "I'm aware of much cool stuff that's recently happened" vibe, instead of people really starting to give a shit.  That kind of thing right there is exactly what worries me. 

But after a while I remember what's happened in the last eight years and think 'nah, people probably actually give a fuck.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2008, 04:33:16 PM »

The Slate Strained Analogy Series, Part 2:

Why (American Idol Winner) David Cook Is Like Barack Obama

How can he be David Cook and Bugs Bunny? 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 04:36:20 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

davy

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2008, 04:44:38 PM »

i had a feeling if i read this thread all the way through, something would eventually make me laugh out loud.

and lo and behold, orange tic tacs.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2008, 05:03:46 PM »

The Slate Strained Analogy Series, Part 2:

Why (American Idol Winner) David Cook Is Like Barack Obama

How can he be David Cook and Bugs Bunny? 

Wow, just... wow. Wow.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »

Oooo, two in one day.

http://www.slate.com/id/2191906/

Since when has guilt become shameful? Since when is shame shameful when it's shame about a four-centuries-long historical crime?

"Since when is shame shameful?"  Wow.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2008, 07:02:20 PM »

Also gotta love the fact that for all of their high falutin bullshit they are not above the modern "research" practice of citing the number of hits Google returns from two search terms as evidence of something.

think 'on the road.'
andronicus

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2008, 07:04:34 PM »

Also gotta love the fact that for all of their high falutin bullshit they are not above the modern "research" practice of citing the number of hits Google returns from two search terms as evidence of something.
That is the modern version of "According to Webster's Dictionary, ..."
elpollodiablo

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2008, 07:08:25 PM »

Damn you are so right

Also notice the little jab at Salon in there. They are on a roll today

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2008, 03:01:51 PM »

Man, they're on a roll this week:

http://www.slate.com/id/2191979/

Can Obama play the name game, too? Well, he might try recruiting some of America's best-known athletes. Maybe make a campaign ad with Hakeem Olajuwon, both Kareem Abdul-Jabbars—the ex-L.A. Laker and the Miami Dolphin—and, of course, Muhammad Ali. Either that or change his first name back to Barry, put an apostrophe between the "O" and the "b" in Obama, and go all out for the Irish vote.

Bringing you the hard-hitting analysis!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: The Consolidated "Slate Is Stupid" Thread
Jump to: