Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 08:17:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 85 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Moving Out and/or I'm a n00b at real life  (Read 1684 times)
citrus

« on: Jun 12, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »

Dear LPTJ,

So I'm moving to my new room in Berkeley next week, and it's unfurnished. I am probably going to be getting a bed from Ikea and the rest from Craigslist or whatever. I don't have a car, and I don't really know anyone with trucks or anything. I know from the website that Ikea does delivery  or this van rental thing, but how is all of this usually done? I feel like I'm probably missing some huge details. I am having my books and guitar and turntable and stuff shipped up, which is already expensive. I will probably be eating rice, ramen, etc. for awhile, I guess. Any general advice on the whole process (as in the obvious looming thing hanging over my head that I'm sure is going to fall on me and destroy my life once I get there) would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Loser in Las Vegas

i give thee the first suggestion, the problem and indirection
diesel_powered

« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2008, 02:30:24 PM »

Ikea delivery is unbelievably expensive unless you live in the Ikea parking lot. It's typical furniture delivery where you buy a wad of furniture and schedule a time for the truck to come and drop it off. I believe they also drag it off the truck and dump it in the apartment for you. The van rental thing isn't as expensive (I think it's like $50 or something for a couple hours). Basically, it's Enterprise or a similar van rental company operating out of Ikea and the procedure is exactly the same as renting a car at the airport or something. I think it might be a deal where you get it cheap for a couple hours vs. getting it for the day, but other than that it's just like any other vehicle rental. You probably have to be over 24 and have a valid license and credit card.

Basically, my suggestion would be to make friends with someone who drives a truck and exchange beer for their time/effort. The world is full of nice, resourceful, beer-drinking people who would love to help you. It'll take you a good two weeks before you're all unpacked and stocked with furniture and it'll probably be up to about a year before you get into the living "zone", but such is moving. And if whoever you happen to snag turns out to be weird or something, it's not like you have to be best friends with them just because they helped you move some stuff.

Other than that, there's no trick to it, IMO. You already know how to feed and dress yourself and that's most of the battle. If you need to find things, ask people, use your temporary needyness as an excuse to make friends. Otherwise, picking up the local free rag is usually a good way to get the vibe of a place down quickly. It always seems hard when you're first out on your own because you have to rely on yourself in ways you've never had to rely on yourself, but you'll soon find out that you're way more resourceful than you think you are. Necessity being the mother of invention and all. Just trust your instincts and follow your common sense. Living on your own isn't as hard as it seems. You'll do fine.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
dieblucasdie

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2008, 03:06:39 PM »

I recommend the Creamy Chicken flavor of ramen.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2008, 03:17:36 PM »

Creamy chicken always creeped me out a little.

Also, Citrus: lie on them ikea beds a whiel before you buy.  For me (and exp. for my Somtimes-LPTJin' Ladyfriend), that shit is Un Comfortable.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
Nick Ink

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2008, 04:13:46 PM »

I don't know how easy you find it to make friends, but when I first went to Korea I didn't know a soul and the best advice I had was to accept every invitation at first, just so as not to be kind of cur off from the world completely. Of course, the downside is you can land yourself with a new best friend that is really annoying and then spend the next 3 years ducking down corridors every time you see them coming in the opposite direction.

You'll be ace.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
C of heartbreak

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2008, 04:32:09 PM »

If you decide to get an Ikea futon, you can't go wrong with one of their combo spring/foam mattresses. Although some people don't like them quite as much as I do.

If you don't know anybody who drives a truck, you should be able to rent a moving van--most moving van companies don't have age requirements like car rental places do (but maybe the shit in Cali is whack). If you do that, you can typically keep the van for a couple days, so you can use it to pick stuff up from Ikea. And throw the books and crap in the van, and recruit some buddies to help you load and unload (if you don't have any buddies maybe you can convince the 'rents to drive up with you?). And if you do go the van route, don't forget to write the mileage in big letters on the form when you return it because otherwise they will add like 200 miles and charge you out the ass.

(as in the obvious looming thing hanging over my head that I'm sure is going to fall on me and destroy my life once I get there)

If you give up trying to be king you shouldn't have to worry about the Sword of Damocles.

HOW WOULD I BE? WHAT WOULD I DO?
Bernard

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2008, 04:34:44 PM »

I've had good success trading beer/pizza/small amt of cash for some random dude off craigslist's truck & muscles for short periods of time. You may not know anybody with a truck, but you may know somebody who knows somebody, if you see what I mean. Put the word out and see who turns up. Mangy college students will often welcome such casual labor. Also, you'd be surprised what you can fit into a small car. I moved all my IKEA furniture in a Corolla, no folding back seat or anything.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
citrus

« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »

Also, Citrus: lie on them ikea beds a whiel before you buy.  For me (and exp. for my Somtimes-LPTJin' Ladyfriend), that shit is Un Comfortable.

I prefer beds on the firm side...are we talking way beyond the firm side? I guess I'll just try them out. I'll look into the foam/spring combo for sure.

i give thee the first suggestion, the problem and indirection
dumbfish

« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2008, 05:57:28 PM »

My Bed Odyssey of 2008 taught me that I, like most people, don't want a mattress nearly as firm as I think I do.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
silentsigh89

« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2008, 06:27:15 PM »

my friends got ikea beds when they moved up to canada and they died in the course of the school year. They instead got nice mattresses on the floor and said it was infinitely more comfortable to be on a supportive mattress on the floor than a rickety bed. So, yeah! Test 'em out first!

diesel_powered

« Reply #10 on: Jun 12, 2008, 09:22:50 PM »

My Bed Odyssey of 2008 taught me that I, like most people, don't want a mattress nearly as firm as I think I do.

Judging from my parents' bed-buying debacles, his seems to be a common mistake. While one's back needs a certain level of support, it's easy to forget that the back curves and a cement-like bed does not.

alistarr*

« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2008, 07:37:16 AM »

my ikea bed is awesome and well made. i do have an extra matress pad thing on it though.
jess

« Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2008, 12:59:23 PM »

Judging from my parents' bed-buying debacles, his seems to be a common mistake. While one's back needs a certain level of support, it's easy to forget that the back curves and a cement-like bed does not.

It depends a lot on how you sleep too. Side sleepers tend to need softer mattresses than back sleepers, and if you're a side sleeper with prominent hips like me, then you definitely need some give for that hip to sink into, otherwise you end up with your back angled to the side that you're sleeping on, which is not good at all.

What you don't really need is a bedframe though, like Beth says--I have a mattress on a boxspring, and it came on that really basic, low metal stand, which works just fine, and I suspect it would be fine on the floor too. There are certain benefits to having a headboard, but for me, it's not worth the cost especially considering I'm planning to move again soon enough anyway.
diesel_powered

« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2008, 05:12:11 PM »

I have the same problem with my shoulders. I sleep on my side and if I don't have a soft enough mattress, my neck gets all manner of fucked up.

Usually you can pick up a cheap metal frame for like $40 at wherever you're getting your bed at. I like to have my bed off the floor because it's good storage space and the frame lets everything sag slightly which helps with my bed softness problems.

Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: Moving Out and/or I'm a n00b at real life
Jump to: