Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 06:25:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 85 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: H  (Read 8873 times)
FreddyKnuckles

H
« on: Jan 31, 2005, 03:46:10 AM »

Murkkkkkkkkkkkk
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2012, 09:25:26 AM by FreddyKnuckles » Logged

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Good Intentions

« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2005, 07:10:05 AM »

Every time John posts a new Huehueteotl, I have to abandon my theories as to what it actually means.  But I'm getting closer, yes, yes, closer.
Maaik

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2005, 10:17:55 AM »

I've been reading them as a meditation on the feeling of being outlived.  Yes, it is very sad.  There's also the literalized metaphor of capturing your youth.  That's more funny than sad.

That's really funny, actually.

I need anne the man lessons
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2005, 11:42:38 AM »

man, i don't know. i'm assuming that either:

a) all will be revealed in some yet-to-come final installment; or

b) i'll never really "get" this whole series of articles.

they are interesting though.

oh, and by the way, in a 1990 interview in rolling stone magazine, axl rose specifically mentioned that the two albums he'd hope to have if he was stranded on a desert island were "queen II" and "never mind the bollocks, here's the sex pistols." seriously, i'm not making that up.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
theartlessmonster

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2005, 01:42:54 PM »

Quote from: "FreddyKnuckles"
"They yearn for something that is not only dead, but rotting, and they talk about it as though it were better to eat something rotten than to allow one's tastes to accustom themselves to the local cuisine. They're like vampires who've lost their way, and want to drink embalming fluid instead of fresh blood."

Hello! I am new posting here...but I had a thought on this.  I was thinking, given the choice maybe I would rather drink embalming fluid than fresh blood, being a mere mortal and not a vampire you see for me drinking blood would surely mean I die a mortal, its just more human blood mingling with my own. Perhaps though by drinking embalming fluid I envoke some type of postponement of the decay of my own body, so in that sense maybe Axl helps his die hard fans live longer, even if he is dying.  So maybe they find life in his death.  Axl is the fountain of youth he just does not know it.

And I don't know where people are talking about the previous post, but Beethovan is not real?  I disagree.

Don't be a swiss roll.
Michael

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2005, 01:45:37 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"

Knowing John, I'd say it is more likely to be the latter.

Are you here to get pumped?
Michael

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2005, 01:49:16 PM »

Quote from: "theartlessmonster"
"They yearn for something that is not only dead, but rotting, and they talk about it as though it were better to eat something rotten than to allow one's tastes to accustom themselves to the local cuisine. They're like vampires who've lost their way, and want to drink embalming fluid instead of fresh blood."

Hello! I am new posting here...but I had a thought on this.  I was thinking, given the choice maybe I would rather drink embalming fluid than fresh blood, being a mere mortal and not a vampire you see for me drinking blood would surely mean I die a mortal, its just more human blood mingling with my own. Perhaps though by drinking embalming fluid I envoke some type of postponement of the decay of my own body, so in that sense maybe Axl helps his die hard fans live longer, even if he is dying.  So maybe they find life in his death.  Axl is the fountain of youth he just does not know it.

I think embalming fluid is toxic. So being that obsessed with preservation is going to kill you.

theartlessmonster

« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2005, 02:20:11 PM »

Quote from: "Michael"
I think embalming fluid is toxic. So being that obsessed with preservation is going to kill you.

I'll give you that drinking embalming fluid is not good for your health.  But sometimes we need to preserve the past to protect the future, otherwise we mind as well just shred the Constitution, why preserve it?  I am saying I think its very important to preserve the past, vampires and embalming fluid aside.  Why else would millions upon millions of dollars be spent on temperature controlled vaults of master recordings, to preserve the classic, these works of art should not be devalued because they are not fresh in the can.  No matter what medium, music included.  We must preserve and respect what is clinically "dead".

Don't be a swiss roll.
Maaik

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:29:51 PM »

just the other day my roommate and I were talking about what it would be like if John Darnielle wrote a book.  It could be anything, fiction, nonfiction, whatever.  I think it would be something like this.  But I would read it, love it, and have no fucking clue what he's talking about

You're not the only one wishing he'd write a book.  Splendid had a "Damn List Thing" entitled "12 Rock Stars and the Novels They'd Write."  The very first entry just happened to be this:

John Darnielle -- Bangkok; Bangor; Gotham; Texas
Self published using a photocopier and jackets torn from library books. Characters with names alternately mundane and mythological (i.e.: Mary and Poseidon, Bill and Freya, Goldie and Midas) fluctuate between embittered arguments about whose relationship is worse and bittersweet, heartfelt soliloquies on memories of when their relationships weren't completely terrible. In spite of repetitive subject matter, barely legible print and an admittedly monotonous rhythm, critics are inexplicably entranced by the "cinematic style of his prose", proving the complete hopelessness of the American public before this damn list has even really gotten underway.

There are very few guitar solos. Darnielle follows this up with a series of books whose titles make reference to various geographical locales and feature the same characters doing more or less the same things they did in the last book, only now with a new photocopier that has its own bizarre flaws -- including one that prints the word "CUNNILINGUS" in huge, black letters across the center of every seventh page. Critics remain inexplicably entranced. Jacket blurb: "Stephen King once again proves he is a master storyteller with this twisted tale of terror."

I need anne the man lessons
Bernard

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2005, 05:36:49 PM »

theartlessmoster, you may find this to be of interest:

http://rhizome.org/thread.rhiz?thread=195&text=56#56

Check out Adorno, also.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
theartlessmonster

« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:49:34 PM »

Quote from: "Bernard"
theartlessmoster, you may find this to be of interest:

http://rhizome.org/thread.rhiz?thread=195&text=56#56

Check out Adorno, also.

Bernard, yes I did find that of interest I loved it!

Especially this last part "Really, to become the compost that makes the next spring possible is not a bad fate after all."  

And see? this is the spot I think Axl will get to and he will be at peace..

And did you mean Theodore Adorno?

Don't be a swiss roll.
Michael

« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2005, 09:33:28 PM »

But sometimes we need to preserve the past to protect the future, otherwise we mind as well just shred the Constitution, why preserve it?

Perhaps we should preserve it by perpetually shredding it?

SPACERACE

« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2005, 11:34:13 PM »

But sometimes we need to preserve the past to protect the future, otherwise we mind as well just shred the Constitution, why preserve it?

Perhaps we should preserve it by perpetually shredding it?

Not working.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
Bernard

« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2005, 02:00:37 PM »

And see? this is the spot I think Axl will get to and he will be at peace..

And did you mean Theodore Adorno?

Yes, Theodor Adorno wrote an interesting article which is, I think, cited in that paper. Glad you found it useful!

Let us hope that Axl finds peace, indeed.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2005, 11:56:50 PM »

i remember in the early 90s when i knew a girl who was that way about motley crue. keep in mind that this was during the john korabi era. it was intense.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Good Intentions

« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2005, 11:54:29 AM »

One day, I will crack this series of articles...
DCDave

« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2005, 03:49:41 PM »

[Altered Beast] RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE [/sega!]

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
theartlessmonster

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2005, 08:45:58 PM »

This girl had a GnR checkbook and picture of Axl in her wallet where a normal person would keep pics of their lover/wife/family!!!!!!

Whoa! Axl Checks?  that rocks!  I totally want an Axl checkbook!!!!   and hey how do you know it was Axl maybe her family just looks like Axl???

Don't be a swiss roll.
Good Intentions

« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2005, 07:52:25 AM »

I'm still working on this...

Though I have a deep suspicion the key to the heart of Huehueteotl series is an event in American popular culture I missed or missed the significance of.
dumbfish

« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:33:02 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"

Knowing John, I'd say it is more likely to be the latter.

Bringing a dead thread back to the surface to do the fanboy thing:  clamor for a sequel.  John, there is no sequel planned, is there?  Because I'd be interested to see how you might continue.  
Eminem's marrying Kim again, meaning-- he's learned nothing?  he's holding on to the one thing that's always been there?  he's learned how to accept life and its imperfections?  He might be making Axl's intervention moot.  Or maybe he's hoping to become a real-life Alpha couple.
Meanwhile, Axl seems to think the world's drooling over the prospect of his new stuff that will blow all our fucking minds.  And the thing is, if he ever got anything out, I'd be rooting for him so hard, just because the whole world is so ready to tell him how much he sucks now.  How great would it be if he put out a killer album?  
Take it to the extreme:  How great would it be if Lindsay Lohan's album had been perfectly catchy and clever pop music?  Reviewers across the country would have to throw away their pre-packaged dismissals and actually pay attention for once.  It would rule.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
coldforge

« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:44:52 PM »

What are you, insane?

l'era del terzo mondo.
theartlessmonster

« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2006, 10:41:36 AM »

no, I'm the lunatic remember?

but did you guys read about Axl suing that car dealer last week?  Kind of funny considering Chinese Democracy and all.

Don't be a swiss roll.
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: H
Jump to: