Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:07:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 74 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Will people save money this winter by yes we canning? The New Politics thread.  (Read 30713 times)
davy

« Reply #125 on: Dec 06, 2008, 04:34:09 PM »

In fact, I have not.

He's on Hardball pretty frequently.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
jebreject

« Reply #126 on: Dec 06, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »

because freddy thinks he's a D BAG?

No. Maybe it's the bow tie?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #127 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:44:36 PM »

In fact, I have not.

He's on Hardball pretty frequently.

I know. I don't really ever watch hardball. Not a big Chris Matthews fan, for the most part. As I've said on here before, I like him maybe half the time, at most. A good bit of the time, I want to fucking smack him.

Cue pollo to tell me that I'm not allowed to feel that way about Matthews and still like Olbermann.

EDIT: Also, Jeb, after Jon Stewart made fun of Tucker's bowtie and got him fired from Crossfire, he quit wearing it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
andronicus

« Reply #128 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »

I think Jeb likes him because of his boyish good looks, is what I think.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #129 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:37:09 AM »

Folks, please note that this might well be the only time you'll see me glad to have a Republican win a Congressional seat.

Louisiana Rep. William Jefferson loses re-election bid

Voters in Louisiana ousted indicted Democratic Rep. William Jefferson on Saturday, instead electing a Republican attorney who will be the first Vietnamese-American in Congress.

Unofficial results showed Anh "Joseph" Cao denying Jefferson a 10th term. Republicans made an aggressive push to take the seat from the 61-year-old incumbent, who has pleaded not guilty to charges of bribery, laundering money and misusing his congressional office.

Cao, 41, won a predominantly black and heavily Democratic district that covers most of New Orleans.

[...]

New Orleans voters had long been loyal to Jefferson, re-electing him in 2006 even after news of the bribery scandal broke. Late-night TV comics made him the butt of jokes after federal agents said they found $90,000 in alleged bribe money hidden in his freezer.

[...]

Prosecutors contend Jefferson used his influence as chairman of the congressional Africa Investment and Trade Caucus to broker deals in Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroon and other African nations on behalf of those who bribed him.

The 2007 indictment claims Jefferson received more than $500,000 in bribes and demanded millions more between 2000 and 2005, including the $90,000 found in the freezer of his Washington home.

And, in other news:

Shinseki to be next Veterans Affairs Secretary

Shinseki's tenure as Army chief of staff from 1999 to 2003 was marked by constant tensions with Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, which boiled over in 2003 when Shinseki testified to Congress that it might take several hundred thousand U.S. troops to control Iraq after the invasion.

Rumsfeld and his deputy, Paul Wolfowitz, belittled the estimate as "wildly off the mark" and the army general was ousted within months. But Shinseki's words proved prophetic after President George W. Bush in early 2007 announced a "surge" of additional troops to Iraq after miscalculating the numbers needed to stem sectarian violence.

Obama said he chose Shinseki for the VA post because he "was right" in predicting that the U.S. will need more troops in Iraq than Rumsfeld believed at the time.

"When I reflect on the sacrifices that have been made by our veterans and I think about how so many veterans around the country are struggling even more than those who have not served higher unemployment rates, higher homeless rates, higher substance abuse rates, medical care that is inadequate it breaks my heart," Obama told NBC.

"...and Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, if you're watching: Fuck you guys," Obama did not add.

alex

« Reply #130 on: Dec 07, 2008, 04:35:10 AM »

EDIT: Also, Jeb, after Jon Stewart made fun of Tucker's bowtie and got him fired from Crossfire, he quit wearing it.

Heh, that always seems to happen. Wolfgang Schssel, back when he was Austrian foreign minister,  used to be famous for always wearing a bow-tie - so much so that, when he first formed a coalition government with the right-wing extremist FP, the symbol for protest against that government was a black-and-blue bowtie (black being the colour of the conservatives, blue of the FP) being crossed out. That's when he stopped wearing the bow-tie. I remember seeing some stickers back then of a black-and-blue necktie that said "beware - camouflage!".
dieblucasdie

« Reply #131 on: Dec 07, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »

Ana Marie Cox is icky

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #132 on: Dec 07, 2008, 02:30:04 PM »

Have you looked at her? No she's not.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #133 on: Dec 07, 2008, 02:40:24 PM »

Her soul is icky

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #134 on: Dec 07, 2008, 02:48:06 PM »

I don't really know why you think that, although I get that there are a lot of people out there who feel that way, for reasons I'm unaware of. But yeah, if you want to point out to me why I too should think she's a terrible person, I'd appreciate the info, because I'm honestly unaware of it.

Thermofusion

« Reply #135 on: Dec 07, 2008, 02:52:32 PM »

I kinda label political bloggers are evil people by default, but the lesser beasts who further lower their discourse to the level of junior high Trapper Keeper gossip like Wonkette ain't exactly my personal recipe for mad bonerz. To each their own, though.

triple paisley minimum
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #136 on: Dec 07, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »

Maybe this is another one of those times where I am a bad person and didn't know it, but I've always kinda liked Wonkette. Of course, AMC hasn't been involved with it since before I even knew it existed, so for all I know, it sucked when she was doing it.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #137 on: Dec 07, 2008, 03:13:35 PM »

What-Thermo-said had always made my opinion toward Ana Marie Cox/Wonkette one of low-level annoyance.  What moved me to outright hatred was the things she said re: the whole Kathy Sierra fiasco (those were on the TeeVee, not on Wonkette or I would provide a link). 

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #138 on: Dec 07, 2008, 04:49:46 PM »

I just read up on the Kathy Sierra incident, and I'm guessing that Ana Marie Cox thought she shouldn't have gotten as upset as she had, right?

dieblucasdie

« Reply #139 on: Dec 07, 2008, 04:52:34 PM »

That, and she basically went a step further, defending misogyny on the internets.  I mean, the Kathy Sierra situation was a giant mess.  It's one thing to come to that conclusion about it.  I have mixed feelings  myself.  But it's another thing to be a total dismissive prick about it.

edit:  To be clear, this isn't me saying that Cox is worse than Hitler and should be strung from the highest yardarm, this is me saying that I don't like her, and giving my personal reason for not liking her.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #140 on: Dec 07, 2008, 04:55:53 PM »

I hasten to add:  If this were someone I otherwise liked, I'd probably forgive, this is just what pushed her from vague annoyance into outright dislike. 

DCDave

« Reply #141 on: Dec 07, 2008, 04:56:05 PM »

Did you actually see what she said or did you just read about it on the blogs? 

Edit: Additionally, and I have a personal bias here, I think wonkette was best under Alex Pareene.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #142 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »

I am completely unfamiliar with Alex Pareene.

Thanks for the info, blucas. I don't start off from a position of vague annoyance, obviously, when considering AMC, so no, this doesn't push me over to hating her or anything. I'd like to see the whole defense-of-internet-misogyny quotes before I draw any conclusions about them, too, though I agree that if that's really what she said, that's sketchy.

Mike24

« Reply #143 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:56:08 PM »

Dion should be replaced before Parliament resumes: Rae, Ignatieff

oh thank god.

dion could be gone by the end of the month.  I'd be pretty satisfied with either Rae or Ignatieff as coalition head with Rae probably getting the edge just for being an NDP turncoat who'd probably do better in that kind of setting.

she doesn't like it too hot, she doesn't like it too cold, room temperature, room temperature
ellaguru

« Reply #144 on: Dec 08, 2008, 12:01:34 AM »

Hopefully they'll come up with a decision-making process that is kinda inclusive - sounds like Ignatieff's preferred method would have the leader selected by current MPs, which means basically western Liberals get no say (because they pretty much didn't elect any Liberals out there). Now, I know ignoring the west iis normal Canadian politics, but it's nice to at least pretend that they are in the country.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #145 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:26:36 PM »

Actress Fran Drescher of "The Nanny" fame is interested in running to replace Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D) from the state of New York, the comedienne said this weekend.

Drescher, appointed a public health envoy for the State Department, said her work in that role and as an anti-cancer activist qualifies her to run.

Ive been very successful in getting a bill passed in Washington, she told New York Magazine. I was thinking Id take the next four years to lay some groundwork, but Im throwing my hat in the ring.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #146 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:35:25 PM »

*crosses fingers*

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #147 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:39:45 PM »

AHEM, in case you missed it:

Drescher, appointed a public health envoy for the State Department, said her work in that role and as an anti-cancer activist qualifies her to run.

from now on I'm referring to her as "former Bush Administration official Fran Drescher."

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #148 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:43:40 PM »

Nothing classier than making fun of cancer survivors who then take there experience and use it to benefit others.  good job.

FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #149 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »

clearly her uterus cancer that was misdiagnosed as menopause was just her trying to get attention

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Will people save money this winter by yes we canning? The New Politics thread.
Jump to: