Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 20, 2014, 04:16:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: machinefabriek  (Read 13910 times)
edison

« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »

Well, I assumed that you of all people had the Machinefabriek website bookmarked!

www.machinefabriek.nu for details and a short excerpt, then

edit: looking at the Discogs page for that record, it transpires that it is actually six minutes long.

edit 2: removed unnecessary and distasteful commas.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2009, 01:51:01 PM by edison » Logged
coldforge

« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »

Incidentally, gentlemen, in Dutch the IJ-digraph is treated as a single letter for the purposes of capitalization, and thus the name of the record is properly IJspret.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »

or IJspret—I knew that unicode had a digraph for it.

è l'era del terzo mondo.
Nick Ink

« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »

I want to say something but I just don't know what it is.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
edison

« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2009, 01:42:05 PM »

Ah, thanks for the correction, coldforge

edit: xpost with Nickryptink
narlus

« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »

i'm guessing that there is no correlation:
http://433rpm.blogspot.com/2008/02/de-fabriek-four-very-early-tapes.html

edison

« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »

I am hopeless - just ordered Gris Gris from Norman Records along with the new Antony and A. Bird albums - I'll report in one or two weeks, I suppose.
Nick Ink

« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2009, 02:29:11 PM »

Coincidentally enough, I was watching a programme about voodoo gris gris practioces in Benin on the bus this morning.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2009, 02:39:49 PM »

Well, I assumed that you of all people had the Machinefabriek website bookmarked!

www.machinefabriek.nu for details and a short excerpt, then

edit: looking at the Discogs page for that record, it transpires that it is actually six minutes long.

edit 2: removed unnecessary and distasteful commas.

I just bought the mp3s from boomkat - 2.95 for 6 minutes...hmm, not sure about that but never mind.

EDIT - Oh, arse - due to my malfunctioning computer the d/load froze up midway through and I had to cancel it. Does that mean I can't get what I paid for? Anyone had this experience before? I mean, it's easy to go and d/l it from somewhere for free, and I guess I've paid, so it doesn't matter, but still, seems odd...
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2009, 02:43:48 PM by Nick Ink » Logged

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #34 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:15:44 PM »

See, once again, this is why I don't pay for downloads.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
alex

« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »

That's a bit of a silly excuse, Andrew, because there's plenty of paid download sites that will let you re-download without a hassle. Emusic certainly does.

I'd just check with Boomkat, Nick, I'm sure there's going to be a way to try again.

Man, I really need to order a couple of Machinefabriek records, myself.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »

Oh, I know, it's not just the possibility of the download glitching that worries me. Computer crashes can wipe out hundreds of dollars worth of purchased music, etc. I'm very suspicious of computer files. I don't trust the permanence of anything I don't have a hard copy of. And even CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, etc, can get corrupted/scratched/worn out. If I had infinite resources I wouldn't even trust those.

edison

« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2009, 05:28:42 AM »

Sorry to hear about the failed download, Nick - but I have to concur with alex - I'm sure Boomkat can do something about this. Yeah, £3 is a bit steep for 6 minutes of music indeed - I'm still considering getting the physical object, though, since it looks nifty and I like the concept - it's barely more expensive (5 euros).
Nick Ink

« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »

Sorry to hear about the failed download, Nick - but I have to concur with alex - I'm sure Boomkat can do something about this. Yeah, £3 is a bit steep for 6 minutes of music indeed - I'm still considering getting the physical object, though, since it looks nifty and I like the concept - it's barely more expensive (5 euros).

If I had the merest scrap of my musical soul left intact, i would do this also, but having systematically sold off the better half of a 20 year record collection, I have psychologically forsaken the physical artefact when it comes to music. I see all the music I own as invisible and to some extent transient. I don't even worry about losing stuff, because a) in the future, I'll be more interested in listening to things that haven't been made yet, and b) everything will one day exist everywhere, simultaneously.

edison

« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:13:24 AM »

I understand you and kind of envy you, but I'm far from being at that point yet. Still considering ordering IJspret and a couple of other releases (possibly Staub because I love the cover picture, and Vloed, both because I also like the cover a lot, and because of your description upthread).

I'm beginning to have a good grasp of both Marijn and Weleer - "Hieperdepiep" had me a bit bewildered at first, but I think it might actually be one of my favorite Machinefabriek tracks now. I definitely need to investigate Ranonkel further - for some reason it hasn't resonated as much as the others so far, but it might just be because I haven't devoted enough attention to it yet.
Good Intentions

« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:18:48 AM »

everything will one day exist everywhere, simultaneously.
How Hegelian.
edison

« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:19:31 AM »

Oh, and I originally came here to mention that Machinefabriek will be playing in London on May 12, apparently.
edison

« Reply #42 on: Apr 30, 2009, 01:42:56 PM »

After almost *gasp* three months of "waiting", there is at last a new Machinefabriek record available, called Shuffle, with an MP3 available here.

New collaboration with Peter Broderick out in the summer too, apparently.
Nick Ink

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 02:02:56 AM »

Good stuff!

edison

« Reply #44 on: Aug 12, 2009, 01:12:57 PM »

Machinefabriek's hit single "Dauw" now has a video!
Nick Ink

« Reply #45 on: Aug 13, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »

Crikey. Thanks! That was interesting. I enjoyed that but I feel slightly annoyed to have someone else's images tacked on to that music for me. Not speaking Dutch, I have always listened to Machinefabriek's songs completely without context. Autechre for one deliberately named their tracks things like Piobmx19 and Vose In so that listeners would be able to do the same.

Greg Nog

« Reply #46 on: Aug 13, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »

Incidentally, that video marked the first time I listened to Machinefabriek, and I liked it quite a bit.
edison

« Reply #47 on: Aug 13, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »

Crikey. Thanks! That was interesting. I enjoyed that but I feel slightly annoyed to have someone else's images tacked on to that music for me.

Yeah, that was my initial fear/reaction, too, and it didn't entirely disappear, but I did come to like the video after being initially unsure about the whole concept for about three or four minutes. It's quite beautifully done.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #48 on: Aug 13, 2009, 02:20:08 PM »

Incidentally, that video marked the first time I listened to Machinefabriek, and I liked it quite a bit.

Same here, on both counts. Cool stuff!

Nick Ink

« Reply #49 on: Aug 14, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »

Shocked

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: machinefabriek
Jump to: