Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 04:42:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 90 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: machinefabriek  (Read 13942 times)
Nick Ink

« Reply #100 on: Jul 23, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »

That Jazz Standards thing. It isn't really, like, jazz standards, is it?

I haven't heard that one yet. I suspect they're fairly loose interpretations, but then Gareth Davis is a horn-blower, so you never know.

Rutger's sax mix over at the always brilliant Liminal is pretty cool.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
ellaguru

« Reply #101 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »

I've been liking Apollo quite a bit lately.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Nick Ink

« Reply #102 on: Jul 25, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »

I've been liking Apollo quite a bit lately.

Really? I think that's an example of one that's really hard for most people to enjoy - y'know, it's so slow and minimal, there's so much patience required for the payoff. Still, it restores my faith  to hear that I'm not the only madman who likes it.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #103 on: Oct 09, 2011, 10:31:49 AM »

15/15
I knew I would like this one just from the waveform on soundcloud. (only in 2011, limited edition sentence right there...)

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Nick Ink

« Reply #104 on: Oct 09, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »

^^^ Cool - reminds me of Oren Ambarchi

I posted about Machinefabriek's new releases in the 'Coming Out' thread, but should have put it here :

The one I've been enjoying is the 'Bridges' release, although it's not really a Machinefabriek release as such.

RavingLunatic

« Reply #105 on: Oct 09, 2011, 12:14:19 PM »

I had a dream the other day that I was listening to Machinefabriek and enjoying it. I was surprised because it was not so minimal as the Machinefabriek I'd listened to before; it was more like, say, Aphex Twin's ambient works or something. Maybe this is a sign it's time to listen to those Machinefabriek mixes of Nick's that I downloaded awhile ago!

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Nick Ink

« Reply #106 on: Mar 01, 2012, 05:44:21 AM »

Quick update, as 2012 is starting to shape up.

First of all, the euro folks here might be interested that Machinefabriek and Celer are touring Belgium and The Netherlands together in March (details at Machinefabriek's site, under 'agenda').

The two artists (with 165 releases between them, according to discogs) have also combined (via post at least) for a beautiful pair of tracks, sold out on vinyl but available for digital d/l at bandcamp. I think these tracks are 'Dauw'-level gorgeousness.

Machinefabriek & Celer - Maastunnel/Mt.Mitake

On the horizon, there's a CD accompaniment to an installation piece with sound artist Steve Roden, called 'Lichtung', out in April, and before that a CD called Colour Tones out on Fang Bomb which looks very promising, featuring lots of Rutger's old sidekicks (Aaron Martin, Gareth Davis etc.) and produced by Guiseppe Ielasi. There's also a new 7" out on a new Swedish label that has some short installation pieces from a Dutch street festival last year.

Machinefabriek - Colour Tones   / Ontrafelde Tonen

Finally, a fantastic set of looped sine tones called 15/15, just out and also mastered by Ielasi.

Machinefabriek - 15/15

Nick Ink

« Reply #107 on: Mar 10, 2012, 07:08:51 AM »

Celer and Machinefabriek are setting off on a little tour together.

Will of Celer is trying to raise financial support for the tour and has offered a 50% discount off everything at the Celer Bandcamp page with the code "march" (lasts this week only)

In case any of our Europeans are tempted, the dhe dates are:

March 15 - Studio Loos, The Hague
March 16 - La Compilotheque, Brussels
March 17 - In Situ, Maastricht
March 18 - Podium Willie, Deventer
March 20 - Muziekhuis, Utrecht
March 23 - Meet&Greet, Leiden
March 25 - Da Lawei, Drachten

More info at Machinefabriek's place

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #108 on: Mar 10, 2012, 07:25:22 AM »

dammit ink why do you tempt me like this

Nick Ink

« Reply #109 on: Mar 10, 2012, 09:23:31 AM »

dammit ink why do you tempt me like this

You were prominent in my thoughts when I posted that, I must admit.

Cool

edison

« Reply #110 on: Mar 10, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »

This is tempting, but far! Guy obviously needs to play closer to the centre of the civilized world.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #111 on: Mar 10, 2012, 06:59:47 PM »

heh heh. f'real

alex

« Reply #112 on: Mar 11, 2012, 06:48:55 AM »

Guy obviously needs to play closer to the centre of the civilized world.

You must have missed the Maastricht date on the list Nick posted!
edison

« Reply #113 on: Mar 11, 2012, 06:50:14 AM »

Do we need to send the army to your small country to remind you where the centre of the civilized world is? Come on.
Nick Ink

« Reply #114 on: Mar 16, 2012, 03:55:52 PM »

March 15 - Studio Loos, The Hague

A little review of the first date here at Fluid Radio

I hadn't realised that Celer and Machinefabriek are actually performing together, not just touring together.

alex

« Reply #115 on: Mar 17, 2012, 05:25:21 AM »

Damn, I think I might miss today's show because of a stupid cold.
Nick Ink

« Reply #116 on: May 29, 2012, 05:44:11 AM »

Latest stuff, lifted from the 'new music bought today' thread

I just sent Mr.Machinefabriek some more clams, in return for these (all digital, though the third comes with a set of postcards):

Celer & Machinefabriek - Numa/Penarie

This is the second 7-inch from Celer & Machinefabriek. The first (Maastunnel/Mt.Mitaake) was ridiculously good:

1.Numa 05:20
2.Penarie 04:40

Steve Roden & Machinefabriek - Lichtung

A collaboration with Roden, and also German visual artist, Sabine Bürger:

1.leaves 04:55
2.ice strings 03:38
3.birds plucks stones 03:58
4.wind 03:06
5.ice bow 07:11
6.snow bellsnow 07:39
7.floor radio 03:10
8.some things within 03:32
9.vayhinger 08:14

Celer & Machinefabriek - Greetings From Celer & Machinefabriek

This one is a collection of the live recordings from their recent little tour of the Netherlands and Belgium. 5 euros for 3 hours of music!:

Den Haag 26:26
2.Brussels 26:26
3.Maastricht 21:29
4.Deventer 26:45
5.Utrecht 27:32
6.Leiden 30:30
7.Drachten 16:13

All avaialable through Machinefabriek's bandcamp page.

A couple of other things that are imminent are the Stroomtoon album on Nuun Records (experiments with loops made on an analogue tone generator), and a simple static drone piece called Elastiek.

edit: Having realised that I had inadvertently swindled Rutger out of the correct postage for those postcards, I also just bought this one, partly out of guilt:

One Man Nation & Machinefabriek

The Celer & Machinefabriek releases are starting to crawl around under my skin now, especially the live set in 'Greetings'. It's 7 consecutive, unedited 25-minute-or-so performances from that mini-tour, which while they are all different and separate, cross-reference each other and feature recurrent motifs and themes (e.g. tuning forks, a trumpet figure, birdsong, shrill whistle blasts, crunchy clouds of crackling static and a man talking about bull elk vocalisations). 3 hours of thrilling and dynamic ambient music, for a measly 5 euros.

One other new thing is a very interesting interview here at A Closer Listen, where he talks about why he releases so much stuff, his equipment and the live process, and how he started out as a doom metal fan, amongst other things.

edit: I also just bought Elastiek from Entropy Records, a 20-minute static drone piece, and apparently the most continuous and unchanging piece he's ever released.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:07:32 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

ellaguru

« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2012, 11:15:05 PM »

Alright, I picked up the Greetings thing, partly because I haven't actually given Machinefabriek any money yet, which I should, and also partly for the postcards.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
alex

« Reply #118 on: Jun 01, 2012, 03:44:56 AM »

I ordered that the day before yesterday too, along with Colour Tones. Within an hour, Mr. Machinefabriek thanked me for my order and said he'd get the things ready to be sent out as quickly as possible, and a day later it was already here.

I think "mosaic" might be my new favourite colour.
Nick Ink

« Reply #119 on: Jun 16, 2012, 03:30:16 AM »

I just bought Stroomtoon, but I haven't listened to it yet.

Nick Ink

« Reply #120 on: Jun 30, 2012, 11:17:38 AM »

Couple of new things to mention....a DVD/mp3 release called Pierdrie, based on recordings of the Waalharven harbour in Rotterdam. Later in the summer, theres Hei/Sou, a third 7-inch with Celer, and then a collaboration with Jaap Blonk, called Deep Fried.

Thermofusion

« Reply #121 on: Jul 02, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »

Dang I love the art on Hei/Sou

triple paisley minimum
Nick Ink

« Reply #122 on: Jul 14, 2012, 05:51:41 AM »

Rutger Zuyderfeldt & Espen Reinertsen - Windtunnel

There's a free download available of Rutger Zuyderfeldt & Espen Reinertsen's Windtunnel available here, a stereo rendition of an art installation piece in The Netherlands earlier this month. Reinertsen plays saxophone, though I'm not sure I'd be able to detect that by listening to it. Still, it's a pleasingly gloopy concoction of droning high notes.

Also, a new CD on Important coming soon, called Secret Photographs.

Nick Ink

« Reply #123 on: Jul 28, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »

One more in the pipeline:

Forks (17:54)
Cassette on Banned Producions, t.b.a.
A tape with music recorded with tuning forks, steel wool, contact mics, memo recorders, looped cassettes an answering machine tape, a ring modulator and looper pedals.

edison

« Reply #124 on: Aug 05, 2012, 04:51:57 AM »

I just bought Stroomtoon, but I haven't listened to it yet.

I'm checking it out on Bandcamp right now (yeah, I've had trouble keeping up lately), and six minutes in it's sounding quite interesting! What's your take on it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: machinefabriek
Jump to: