Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 16, 2014, 09:17:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657220 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 239 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: First Day of School!  (Read 34540 times)
dieblucasdie

« Reply #400 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:46:05 AM »

AH, see, we're coming to a point a where we can describe the size of FK's and blucas' trust funds without resorting to unseemly, plain figures.  We certainly could not cover a European coke-binge for a large Catholic family like Iggy's, but, provided we planned it a few months out, we could likely subsidize the same for a modest group of Afrikaaners
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2011, 03:03:38 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Ignatius

« Reply #401 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:49:43 AM »

I am imagining a "ladies' trip" group-rate coachbus tour where blucas has cocaine.
Good Intentions

« Reply #402 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:52:31 AM »

Afrikaaners
And you were doing so well for so long.

Also, my dad is one of 9 siblings, and I have dozens of cousins. Poor people live much the same everywhere in the world, in some important respects.
Ignatius

« Reply #403 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:55:38 AM »

I just remembered that I went on a coachbus tour of Italy with 3 of the 4 unmarried cousins mentioned above in 11th grade. There are pictures on facebook. There was no coke, or else they were holding out on me.
Ignatius

« Reply #404 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:57:11 AM »

I feel like I'm stepping in dirty water here. I want to make it clear that neither I nor my "female relatives" would care much at all for this idea! It is dirty and weird!
Bernard

« Reply #405 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:59:30 AM »

let's go back to the part where bluke is blowing undergrads

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #406 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:02:02 AM »

Afrikaaners
And you were doing so well for so long.

Also, my dad is one of 9 siblings, and I have dozens of cousins. Poor people live much the same everywhere in the world, in some important respects.

I always forget that, sometimes, the Protestant Ethic extends to boning

Chet

« Reply #407 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:07:56 AM »

What's the point of being a protestant if you're not going to wear condoms and get divorced? It just seems hella boring otherwise. I mean have you heard their 'hymns'?

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
dieblucasdie

« Reply #408 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:12:54 AM »

I mean, we updated in the 1960s; GI still on that Mighty Fortress shit

Chet

« Reply #409 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:17:23 AM »

What about All Things Bright and Beautiful? That is one of the most hellish dirges you could ever hope to hear.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
Ignatius

« Reply #410 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:28:20 AM »

This is what happens, thermo. You hoped for class division; you got hymn trolls.
Good Intentions

« Reply #411 on: Sep 01, 2011, 05:41:11 AM »

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #412 on: Sep 01, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »

oh huh, so it's the first day of classes and I just realized my Thursday-only class doesn't meet next week because of one of those obnoxious calendar-adjustment things where Th. runs as Monday, then the next week I'm at a conference in San Francisco. that makes for a kind of crap beginning, and while part of me--the part most in evidence here, probably--wants to shrug it off as less work for me, the fact is, I'll probably set up some sort of individual meetings or something ... which will require some thought on short time, which I guess is what I'm doing in posting this, since it's distinctly less interesting than blucas' coke parties.
Dick

« Reply #413 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:19:19 PM »

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
I do love it when Catholics attribute things that are pretty much universal to poor people of European heritage to their Catholicism.  We have big families!  Our basic social morality is founded on guilt!  We like to eat simple peasant food derived from the region from which we hail! 

Various protestant denominations have updated their hymnals.  The older traditional protestant hymns are great.  Some of them have really great melodies, I don't know what Chet's had jammed in his papist earhole.  The others are still good because they sound to me like songs written for cold-eyed murderers to sing.

We believe in hydration.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #414 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »

Which reminds me of The Night of the Hunter, which I just watched the other night.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
alex

« Reply #415 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »

I do love it when Catholics attribute things that are pretty much universal to poor people of European heritage to their Catholicism.  We have big families!  Our basic social morality is founded on guilt!  We like to eat simple peasant food derived from the region from which we hail! 

Like all of the examples you mention, though, this trait is not exclusive to Catholicists either. I've definitely heard them all from Calvinists, for instance.
coldforge

« Reply #416 on: Sep 01, 2011, 02:55:28 PM »

Calvinists are weirder than Catholics, for sure. I'm willing to buy centuries of slowly-mutating all-encompassing cultural tradition resulting in pretty much any kind of fucked up, situation, psychologically, theologically, or aesthetically. Calvinism has no culture. It's all belief.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Dick

« Reply #417 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »

Like all of the examples you mention, though, this trait is not exclusive to Catholicists either. I've definitely heard them all from Calvinists, for instance.
Yeah it's definitely a universal tendency.  I'd guess it's just more noticeable with Catholics in America.  But even then: Mormons too!

We believe in hydration.
kyle

« Reply #418 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:17:45 PM »

My Eng 112 teacher is ridiculous.

I've had about 15-20 pages of reading and 7-10 pages of writing after every class, which meets three times a week. Like.. I know. It's college. But this is COMMUNITY COLLEGE, ENG 112! And we don't even fucking discuss anything that we write about. It just gets shoved a folder that will get checked "sometime in the future".

Blah. I'm not a 19 year old living at home and working 15 hours a week at Starbucks! Fucking hell.

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
coldforge

« Reply #419 on: Sep 01, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »

Yeah it's definitely a universal tendency.  I'd guess it's just more noticeable with Catholics in America.  But even then: Mormons too!
Plus the obvious (makes 'big nose' gesture)

l'era del terzo mondo.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #420 on: Sep 01, 2011, 06:59:19 PM »

Today is the kind of day that makes me go "Fuck graduate school; you people are all willfully self-deluded idiots and I'm ashamed to count myself among your number"

But then it's been a really, really shitty day.

think 'on the road.'
Good Intentions

« Reply #421 on: Sep 01, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »

Calvinism has no culture. It's all belief.
Keep saying trite stupid things if you like.
Thermofusion

« Reply #422 on: Sep 02, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »

That's a little rude to say, isn't it?

triple paisley minimum
coldforge

« Reply #423 on: Sep 02, 2011, 08:52:09 PM »

I'm sure you would have found it debonair and erudite if you had as much learning as GI does, Thermo.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Good Intentions

« Reply #424 on: Sep 02, 2011, 11:13:38 PM »

No, it was very much intended to be blunt, because it was a trite and stupid thing to say. Calvinism is a centuries-old tradition with of millions of adherents, with a deep influence on the way of life of whole societies, especially in northern Europe. What you said is false, and you could have had no reason for thinking it was true, nor any prompt to say it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: First Day of School!
Jump to: