Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 20, 2014, 01:43:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rule Change  (Read 3878 times)
dieblucasdie

« on: Mar 13, 2009, 12:58:13 PM »

We get spammed by angry 9/11 Truthers in

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

Also, gots to say, John, I think this is less about EVIL in the record business and more about EVIL in the TV business (when popular contestants like Jennifer Hudson and Daughtry leave early, the show takes a ratings hit for the rest of the season). 

I mean, the record industry still made plenty of money off them (if anything, the INJUSTICE angle helps), it's Fox that loses ad revenue.  And hey, hey, they made this announcement just before the sweeps / industry up-fronts season.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2009, 01:09:07 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

RavingLunatic

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2009, 01:39:24 PM »

I've always said Idol needed to find a way to deal with the ever-vexing "tyranny of the majority" problem.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Babar

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2009, 02:50:29 PM »

so how has the rules changed?

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
John
edit0r

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2009, 03:57:18 PM »

everybody has to wear a bear suit now
Babar

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2009, 04:39:08 PM »

well, it's the voice that counts.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Greg Nog

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2009, 04:40:26 PM »

You're kidding yourself if you think people aren't actually voting for the fur and claws.
John
edit0r

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2009, 04:45:54 PM »

"As a singer, you sucked, but as a bear you were mad persuasive, dog. See you in L.A.!"
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »

What's really funny, to me at least, about this, is the fact that I didn't know shit about the rule change, and wasn't enlightened about it by the article John linked to. So I googled to find out what exactly had been changed, and the first article I found was this one from the Village Voice, which, of course, refers back to LPTJ.

This slightly fascist display of power is being sold 'round the internet and on the show as a kind of J-Hud/Daughtry-inspired exception, with reference to the sorta canard that the Idol judges are "experts" who have an eye for talent more precise and reliable than that of the unwashed democratic masses. But given that this is pretty much unwashed democratic masses-driven entertainment--for the people, by the people, if you will--there's something fishy about the resort to expertise and the appeal to some sort of standard higher than the basic test of figuring out which idols inhabitants of the United States think are truly American Idols. As such, Last Plane to Jakarta calls conspiracy.

"The rule change is about one thing only: conversations between the show's producers & industry executives who see, in the show, one of the only bright spots in the business. The judges will rescue people at the behest of labels or production houses who think they can make money off of people whom the viewing public have rejected, or, possibly, in whom they've already invested too much to see them lose."
This follows an entertainingly long disclaimer and precedes the sentences: "Can I prove this? Let me answer the question with a question: am I fucking Sherlock Holmes?" But LPTJ is clearly onto something obvious that weirdly hasn't been widely alleged: how this not a transparently special-interest related move to encourage all sorts of scummy industry people from making bets and investments on these people in advance, since now they have the technical means of making sure their horse crosses the line into the top five?

Oh, internet. Full circle in under 5 minutes.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:26:06 PM »

I knew something like this was coming when they added that shitty 4th judge.

Why mess with the formula?  Simon being a dick, Paula being drunk, Randy making no sense, America choosing douchebag after douchebag.  That's what the show is.

I think it actually cheapens it by trying to make it a real contest with real rules.

jebreject

« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »

Ah, And We Did Not Think It Could Be Cheapened Any Further

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2009, 02:16:21 AM »

would it cheapen it if the judges wore bear suits too?

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
diesel_powered

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 08:00:31 PM »

Bear suits cheapen nothing!

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: Rule Change
Jump to: