Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:07:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 74 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20
Print
Author Topic: Compact Hard Disc Platter Pods. Now Playing.  (Read 19908 times)
das kranke Tier

« Reply #350 on: Sep 16, 2009, 10:24:16 PM »

I only have Shoot Out The Lights (by them both together), but I quite like it.

I highly highly recommend both I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight and Pour Down Like Silver...they're both phenomenal.

Compendious as hell
davy

« Reply #351 on: Sep 16, 2009, 10:26:26 PM »

I've only briefly listened to Pour Down Like Silver, but it seemed like a pretty big departure to me, in terms of both production style and instrumentation. Is that off-base?

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
The_Tourist

« Reply #352 on: Sep 16, 2009, 11:36:41 PM »

tonight = bottle of wine + john vanderslice discography.

almost finished with the bottle. i didn't plan this very well.

we have the money for missiles and fun
davy

« Reply #353 on: Sep 17, 2009, 09:34:42 AM »

My first impression of the new Yo La Tengo record is that it's better, in general, than I Am Not Afraid of You, even if it lacks anything as fantastic as that album's opening track.

As always, I love the stylistic sprawl, but I do question the decision to include all 3 of the lengthy opuses in a string at the end of the record. I might've only kept "And the Glitter Is Gone," which is both the longest and the best. The other two would've made fine b-sides, or even hidden tracks or something. I also regret the decision to place "By Two's" in the third slot. The album has great initial momentum until that admittedly pleasant track starts lullabying the place up. All in all, though, the non-single album tracks on Popular Songs are very solid, and this is the reason that it's probably the best album they've released since And then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out.

"Nothing to Hide" and "Periodically Triple or Double" is a hell of a 1-2 punch.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #354 on: Sep 17, 2009, 11:18:55 AM »

I was afraid that the quality of the drumming would take a nosedive since Anton Fier was no longer in the band, but on the contrary, Stan Demeski more than holds his own. If this was indeed an REM album, it would compare favorably to some of the best stuff in their discography.

Keep in mind Dave Weckerman was also playing percussion at this point in the band. So what you're hearing is basically two drummers.

Oh, and the periods of silence on "Crazy Rhythms" seem to me to be very effective, but I can see where they'd be annoying if you're not willing to try and get on the wavelength of what they're doing there.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
davy

« Reply #355 on: Sep 17, 2009, 01:35:12 PM »

Dude, I love the album, but every time I play it I find myself checking my CD player or iTunes to make sure the music hasn't stopped for some reason. If I listened to it more often, I suppose I'd get used to it.

diesel_powered

« Reply #356 on: Sep 17, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »

Now Listening to London Electricity's Essential Mix from 2008. I tend to favor dj mixes when
I'm trying to be productive because they're high energy and I don't have to constantly pick something new every 45 minutes. This has some pretty decent melodic drum and bass whithout getting too much into the more housey female vocalist stuff.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
reebty

« Reply #357 on: Sep 17, 2009, 11:37:29 PM »

I had Drivin' On 9 stuck in my head a few days ago and I couldn't figure out why. Then I remember that my Dad is in Carson City.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #358 on: Sep 18, 2009, 12:40:45 AM »

Likely to be in my top ten of the year. Great record.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #359 on: Sep 18, 2009, 03:29:58 AM »

Kaoru Abe, Motoharu Yoshizawa, Toshinori Kondo, Derek Bailey - Aida's Call

Fuck yeah.

Snarfyguy

« Reply #360 on: Sep 18, 2009, 02:00:34 PM »

Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity

Edit: I took that off to listen to this other Deerhoof record, which was the one I actually wanted to hear:

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2009, 02:22:30 PM by Snarfyguy » Logged
davy

« Reply #361 on: Sep 18, 2009, 06:29:22 PM »

I'm listening to the new Pearl Jam album!

AND IT FUCKING ROCKS. Matt Cameron has never sounded this good with this band.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2009, 06:37:46 PM by davy » Logged

davy

« Reply #362 on: Sep 18, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »

Seriously, I'm halfway through now, and it's superior to the avocado in every way.

(Not to mention it certainly has better album art, jeez.)

davy

« Reply #363 on: Sep 18, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »

If there's anything disappointing about this 36 minute album, it's that it serves as further evidence that Pearl Jam is not likely to release weird albums like Vitalogy or No Code ever again. Oh well. Hopefully Eddie will continue to record that stuff under his own name.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #364 on: Sep 18, 2009, 11:38:20 PM »

okay, I just passed out halfway through the new Simon Joyner album and only woke up when the closing track got noisy, which is a bit of a bummer because I can't even remember the last time I excitedly brought home a new album, killed the lights, and just leaned back and listened to it with no distraction. it's how I always listened as a teenager, and almost never since.

to be fair to Joyner, the main factor here was being hella exhausted. but it is a slow, droney album, very much a return to form after the fiery, bristling Skeleton Blues--which is, I admit, a tiny, tiny bummer because, as much as I love Joyner all around, I really, really liked the direction he went on that one. when the opening nine-minute epic "The Drunken Boat" drops into voice and strings, it's neat, but I also thought "huh, reminds me of the Gandalfs on 'Dilaudid'" and wished there had instead been a needle-in-the-red guitar sound-bleed a la Skeleton Blues.

in a week I'll probably re-read this, scratch my head, and wonder why I failed to recognize the album's greatness immediately, but them's my tired thoughts for now. it's also possible that the second half is instantly-recognizable greatness, but I slept through it.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #365 on: Sep 19, 2009, 12:56:45 AM »

Goddamn but I love old John Cale records. Vintage Violence & Paris 1919 are two of my favorite records of all time. I'm not even sure when that happened.

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #366 on: Sep 19, 2009, 01:43:39 AM »

Freddie Gibbs - midwestgangstaboxspringcadillacmuzik

This is in my top 10 for this year, effortlessly.  People get up on this, now.  Throw on "County Bounce."  Good god.

Goddamn but I love old John Cale records. Vintage Violence & Paris 1919 are two of my favorite records of all time. I'm not even sure when that happened.
Those are fucking gorgeous records.  The title track of Paris 1919... goddamn.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
ieatrats

« Reply #367 on: Sep 19, 2009, 01:52:39 AM »

Likely to be in my top ten of the year. Great record.

Hi 5.  I still had plenty of room in my top 10 when I put it there but it's still there.

lastclearchance

« Reply #368 on: Sep 19, 2009, 03:06:41 AM »

Vintage Violence & Paris 1919 are two of my favorite records of all time. I'm not even sure when that happened.

yeah, Paris 1919 is totally my favorite Little Feat record

Quote from: cold before sunrise
Look, who's giving the report, YOU chowderheads or ME?
Nick Ink

« Reply #369 on: Sep 19, 2009, 04:22:58 AM »

Rameses III - I Could Not Love You More

I've been interested in this London band since I heard their 20 minute collaboration with the more freak-folky project of American, Brad Rose (who owns the Foxy Digitalis label and website,The North Sea, entitled The Night Of The Ankou. At the time, it got a lot of buzz in ambient circles and rightly so, but I was never sure which side of the partnership was responsible for the rustic steel guitar and percussion, and which side the layered drones.

Since then, I've become a big fan of Rameses III's light and airy ambience on albums such as Matanuska, Honey Rose and last year's majestic Basilica (which also featured some brilliant harsher remix treatment from Robert Horton, Gregg Kowalsky and others and was, IIRC, in my top 5 or 6 on last year's albums list). Even so, this new album might be their best release yet.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
edison

« Reply #370 on: Sep 19, 2009, 05:05:18 AM »

I've heard the stream on the Type website one of my many utterly unproductive afternoons at work this week, but wasn't particularly blown away. Given the listening conditions, this doesn't say much, though, and I'll certainly give this another chance in better circumstances - thanks Nick!

(oh - Paris 1919 is certainly one of my favorite records of all time, too. I like Vintage Violence a lot but wouldn't quite put it on the same pedestal)
Nick Ink

« Reply #371 on: Sep 19, 2009, 06:40:06 AM »

Yeah, I think you need to be relaxed and concentrate to really enjoy it. Or I do, anyway.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #372 on: Sep 19, 2009, 08:05:55 AM »

Vintage Violence & Paris 1919 are two of my favorite records of all time. I'm not even sure when that happened.

yeah, Paris 1919 is totally my favorite Little Feat record

My lady pointed this out to me, but early 70s John Cale sort of sounds like early 80s Kinks.

think 'on the road.'
G.C.R

« Reply #373 on: Sep 19, 2009, 08:40:59 AM »

I only have Shoot Out The Lights (by them both together), but I quite like it.

the richard 3 disc set is pretty great -
Two left feet is such a grand track as not to be missed

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
Nick Ink

« Reply #374 on: Sep 19, 2009, 11:14:11 AM »

I didn't know anything about Aidan Baker until I picked up the very good Book Of Nods last year. It's all on the darker, heavier side of drone, and coldforge informs me he's also a metal man in Nadja, of whom I still know nothing.

Anyway, been listening to his big new double album, Gathering Blue. It's dark and droney and I like it. That's all.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Compact Hard Disc Platter Pods. Now Playing.
Jump to: