Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 25, 2014, 05:03:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657253 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 70 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24
Print
Author Topic: NOW! That's what I call Good Stuff Coming Out!  (Read 39493 times)
Danen

« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:17:03 AM »

I dig this new Joanna stuff, I do. Both songs. Three albums? We'll see, the Magnetic Fields pulled it off, Prince didn't. The Clash split it down the middle (please Joanna, NO KIDDIE VERSIONS OF SONGS).

To me, though, the best new thing I've heard yet is that Frog Eyes thing posted above. Good God. Blackout Beach was awesome last year, like getting me ready for something maybe even better with the new Frog Eyes (and their last album, "TEars of the Valedictorian" may be my fave of theirs. Okay, that and "the Golden River," but I digress). Point is, Cary is on right now, so seriously on it and not near enough people are listening. They still want a new Arcade Fire album and don't know that Mercer already ate that and spit it back out, and now this new thing is nine minutes of awesomeness.

Yeah, so that's two new issues to look forward to (not sure if I'm anticipating Liars or not, based on that so-so first song). Anyway, if you dig Frog Eyes at all check this thing out. Try it even if you don't. Unreal.
sashwap

« Reply #51 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:19:30 AM »

Frog Eyes Paul's Tomb: A Triumph out April 26
A Flower in a Glove

everything about this kicks ass.
edison

« Reply #52 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:58:24 AM »

I dig this new Joanna stuff, I do. Both songs. Three albums? We'll see, the Magnetic Fields pulled it off, Prince didn't. The Clash split it down the middle (please Joanna, NO KIDDIE VERSIONS OF SONGS).

To me, though, the best new thing I've heard yet is that Frog Eyes thing posted above. Good God. Blackout Beach was awesome last year, like getting me ready for something maybe even better with the new Frog Eyes (and their last album, "TEars of the Valedictorian" may be my fave of theirs. Okay, that and "the Golden River," but I digress). Point is, Cary is on right now, so seriously on it and not near enough people are listening. They still want a new Arcade Fire album and don't know that Mercer already ate that and spit it back out, and now this new thing is nine minutes of awesomeness.

Yeah, so that's two new issues to look forward to (not sure if I'm anticipating Liars or not, based on that so-so first song). Anyway, if you dig Frog Eyes at all check this thing out. Try it even if you don't. Unreal.

I heard the song only once and it was a lot to process in one time, but it does sound awesome and I am equally excited. Also, I like your portrait of Carey Mercer as an Arcade Fire-eating monster.
edison

« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:47:59 AM »

I think Arlo was the only one to follow me on their first one, but also exciting is the news of the second Trembling Bells record coming out next month:

Trembling Bells - Abandoned Love
edison

« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:07:29 AM »

A Weather Everyday Balloons out March 2
Giant Stairs

Oh, NICE!

That song is very good, too! I've been kind of afraid that they might not be able to make a second record that's remotely as good as Cove, because as great as that was, it seemed to hinge on a very tenuous balance, like it was always on the verge of being a bit pedestrian or awkward but never was. I can't explain it very well - but anyway, this is looking good so far. I've just preordered the record; Team Love claim they'll arrive two weeks before release date.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:33:03 PM »

Flying Lotus- Cosmogramma

yusssss

wait... cosmograndma?

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Benmont Tench

« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »

NOW! That's what I call good stuff I had no idea came out:

House of Love (First self-titled album)

House of Love - The German Album

Apparently these were both reissued back in November to no fanfare whatsoever. I think this is the first domestic release for either, which is pretty cool considering how long ago they first came out. I've already ordered the former, and will follow suit with the latter sooner than later.

Keep your dripping hair away from the digipak!
Danen

« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:11:42 PM »

Weren't these combined on the album "A Spy in the House of Love," which was released in the states? Don't remember - that was stolen years ago. Anyway, the first album I recall by them was also called "House of Love" and had a big butterfly on the cover. I recall liking it all quite a bit, and I'm glad to see they're getting another 15 minutes. Hope people pick up on it - I'll certainly grab these.
ellaguru

« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:14:34 PM »

The butterfly one is a great album.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Nick Ink

« Reply #59 on: Feb 06, 2010, 03:44:27 AM »

That first one davy has, with the two intense stares, that was the first album in the UK, and it was pretty good. After that I liked a couple of singles (Don't Know Why I Love You was excellent), but they took themselves very seriously and I'd say they went downhill quite fast.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Benmont Tench

« Reply #60 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »

A Spy in the House of Love was a B-sides compilation which I think did overlap some with The German Album. I agree that the butterfly album is great, and it was actually the third self-titled album they released (following the two that were reissued--The German Album was originally self-titled as well, but subsequently retitled to clear some of the confusion.)

Danen

« Reply #61 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »

Thanks for the clarification. I'm now going to dig up the butterfly album (which, thankfully, is still kicking up dust in my storage) and order these first two.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #62 on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:16:01 PM »

And yet one more new Joanna Newsom track up at http://dragcity.com: "Kingfisher."

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #63 on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:19:34 PM »

Also it's really great.

Nick Ink

« Reply #64 on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »

I am really looking forward to this album.

Joanna Newsom, Autechre, David Thomas Broughton - it's a year of long-awaited and much-anticipated releases.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
edison

« Reply #65 on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »

Yeah, very impressed with this third new song on first listen - the other two were also excellent. The Wire is referring to the album as "monumental", incidentally.
andronicus

« Reply #66 on: Feb 09, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »

It sounds like that one track from the Joanna Newsom & the Ys Street Band ep.  I really loved that song.
Nick Ink

« Reply #67 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:56:07 AM »

Colleen. There's a bit of accordian going on. Mind you, at this point, she could be playing the spoons or the baccy tin and I don't think I'd care with that voice and those lyrics.

ellaguru

« Reply #68 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:11:32 AM »

Oh man the little yips in "Colleen" are amazing.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
andronicus

« Reply #69 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:35:45 PM »

Yeah.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #70 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:55:24 PM »

I'll have to check this one out; much as I loved the first record I didn't really hear any of Ys.

Scout Niblett on the Drag City frontpage, though! She's rad

think 'on the road.'
andronicus

« Reply #71 on: Feb 10, 2010, 04:57:39 PM »

Yeah I wish they'd put up a whole track.  What they got is just an intro and you just hear cymbals for 20 seconds or something.
Benmont Tench

« Reply #72 on: Feb 17, 2010, 03:28:03 PM »

It probably won't be good at all, but "Hole" is releasing a new album on April 27. And by "Hole" I mean Courtney Love and an entirely new band. I'll check it out, but I'm not very optimistic.

davy

« Reply #73 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:35:31 PM »

I am the opposite of optimistic.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Nick Ink

« Reply #74 on: Feb 18, 2010, 01:54:39 AM »

Call me prejudiced, but it's impossible, by all laws known to science and God, for a new Hole album to be any good.

And I say that as a person who owns at least 3 Hole records.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 24
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: NOW! That's what I call Good Stuff Coming Out!
Jump to: