Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 06:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 85 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24
Print
Author Topic: Miscellaneous Random Catchall Music Thread Device  (Read 36123 times)
davy

« Reply #550 on: May 08, 2011, 02:36:28 PM »

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'll always "like" the Flaming Lips--at least the 90s incarnation--I just don't really listen to them much anymore. That said, it's completely true that I'm pretty ambivalent towards the pre-Transmissions stuff and I actively dislike most everything they've done post-Soft Bulletin.

Mercury Rev is a band I might've gotten into at some previous point in my life, but I think the moment is past.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
davy

« Reply #551 on: May 25, 2011, 04:45:28 PM »

Hey, awesome!

I went by a local shop today to see about snagging any used Calexico albums and came away with a bag full of stuff I wasn't looking for. No Calexico on offer, but I did find the last Band of Blacky Ranchette (aka Giant Sand) album for $6. While I was paying for it, the guy at the counter played me some OP8, another Gelb project, one I hadn't heard yet. It sounded pretty sweet.

As I turned to leave, I noticed a shoebox sitting on top of one of the record crates. It was full of ... STICKERS. I have a weak spot for band stickers. I started shuffling through it, and realized to my delight that almost all of the stickers were 90s-era. It was like going through a high school scrapbook. Came across two stickers I actually had on my first car. I picked out over a dozen I wanted to buy and then pared it back a bit:

I've actually searched ebay for Afghan Whigs bumper stickers. So excited. The sparkly Veruca Salt and Elliot Smith XO stickers are for the ladyfriend.

davy

« Reply #552 on: May 25, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »

Now I just have to figure out which ones to put on my car, cuz there ain't room for all of them.

Maaik

« Reply #553 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:30 PM »

I like that Veruca Salt sticker!  I had another Death to the Pixies sticker on my first car.  And that JF*E sticker is awesome.  Nice score, dude!

I need anne the man lessons
narlus

« Reply #554 on: May 25, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »

i wish i still had my Swervedriver bumper sticker

jm

« Reply #555 on: May 26, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »

I was thinking of doing about half a dozen different things tonight using my computer, and they all gave way to just kind of sitting around and listening to metal.  Sorry, interests.  Nothing personal.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #556 on: May 27, 2011, 04:30:09 AM »

This should be interesting. Sunday night NZ time. Hopefully it'll be available as an MP3 at some point if people miss it. Long time LPTJ posters will remember one of the hosts.

From Geraldine to Ashburton : the lathe-cut as a medium

If the medium is the message, then the lathe cut record is like a
lost transmission from the parallel worlds of the New Zealand musical underground.

The sonic objects made by hand by Peter King for King Records Worldwide came into their own in the 1980s and 1990s, as a way for fleeting moments of non commercial, self published, experimental music to be captured and distributed in extremely limited runs.

Fragile, rare and increasingly collectible, these records are often decorative and unique artist multiples, and remain the only place to hear some of the era's best and most obscure tracks.

While their heyday is arguably over, lathes are still produced in small runs as further generations of artists debate the demise of the sonic object in the digital era, and look back to forms and methods which have not been made obsolete in the present as much as they have become part of a strong history of New Zealand artists being innovative, finding tools and means to make music in non-commercial ways.

Join Sally Ann McIntyre, Campbell Walker and Peter Porteous for a Sunday School trawling the eclectic worlds of the lathe from Geraldine to Ashburton, from Auckland to Dunedin, from Entlang to Thela.

A New Zealand music month special, six to eight this Sunday NZ time on Radio One 91FM, or online at http://www.r1.co.nz/

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
narlus

« Reply #557 on: May 27, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »

sounds cool. I've got a couple dozen lathe records and while they are not sparkling examples of great sonic quality, they are pretty neat artifacts.

Nick Ink

« Reply #558 on: May 28, 2011, 03:35:17 AM »

Gil Scott-Heron has died, sadly.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #559 on: May 28, 2011, 03:48:55 AM »

Yeah, very sad. That last album was pretty good for the most part.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
jm

« Reply #560 on: May 29, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »

I hadn't even heard his most recent thing.  But long ago dude worked his way into my heart as a great art-maker, and this news makes an above-average (fir the death of a person I don't personally know, to be clear) impact on my mood.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
RavingLunatic

« Reply #561 on: May 29, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »

That Eels sticker looks awesome.

And as far as Grandaddy goes, I'm of the opinion that virtually everything they did up to and including Sumday is awesome while everything thereafter is pretty weak. I like the Flaming Lips pretty well but have never listened to any Mercury Rev.

One of my favorite things of Grandaddy's is what I believe was a tour-only EP called Through A Frosty Plate. It's got five great songs plus a weird one called "Street Bunny." The second song, "Our Dying Brains," has this part where a synth melody morphs into Jason Lytle's voice. I'm not sure how they did that or even if it's that unusual, but I don't think I've ever heard anything else quite like it, and it's awesome.

I will meditate and then destroy you!
Maaik

« Reply #562 on: Jun 04, 2011, 11:39:39 PM »

LA LA LA LA BAMBA
BA LA BALALA LA BAMBA
LALALALALALALALALALALALALALABAAAAAMBAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

I need anne the man lessons
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #563 on: Jun 12, 2011, 09:40:35 AM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/khanwoodclarke/send-sean-spits-to-berlin-to-record-with-king-khan

I was a quite drunk and pledged $50.

milly balgeary

« Reply #564 on: Jun 12, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »

totally watching the rolling stones live in concert on hdnet. man, mick...damn son, you shouldn't be wearin that gold cape.

milly balgeary

« Reply #565 on: Jun 12, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »

killer rendition of ruby tuesday tho

reebty

« Reply #566 on: Jun 14, 2011, 08:01:32 AM »

I see nobody's acknowledged the death of Anal Cunt's Seth Putnam. Paralysed from grief I assume.
Good Intentions

« Reply #567 on: Jun 14, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »

I've only vaguely heard about it. He's not been in good health for a while, so it wasn't a surprise to me. I never listened to any Anal Cunt, but it certainly made an impression on the scene. RIP.
peacocks

« Reply #568 on: Jun 14, 2011, 09:46:03 AM »

I had a friend who's older brother made "rape her with a knife" (or something) the music that played when his alarm went off in the morning as a cruel, cruel joke.

dick-check your priviledge
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #569 on: Jun 14, 2011, 12:30:48 PM »

Say what you will about them, Anal Cunt certainly will wake you up in the morning.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
ellaguru

« Reply #570 on: Jun 14, 2011, 07:50:24 PM »

I was happy a couple days ago to discover that Ryan Bingham was coming to town in August. I am sad now to discover that he has cancelled his show. The big jerk thinks nine months on the road is a long enough tour.

(man, I would hate to do a tour anywhere near that long...)

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
reebty

« Reply #571 on: Jun 15, 2011, 02:45:13 AM »

I've always liked the concept of Anal Cunt and not so much the band itself. Juvenile lyrics written for shock value have always appealed to me, but they're indecipherable and the music sounds like a hollow tree with a squirrel in it being fed into a harvester. Apparently those guys can actually play when they want to.
davy

« Reply #572 on: Jun 22, 2011, 07:07:46 PM »

Weird. Everybody's been pretty ho-hum about the new Bon Iver record but I just checked Pitchfork and they gave it a 9.5!

I mean, I haven't heard it yet, but ... 9.5? I doubt it!

kyle

« Reply #573 on: Jun 22, 2011, 11:57:47 PM »

So I just noticed that Jason Molina of Songs: Ohia & Magnolia Elec. Comp. cancelled his most recent European & American tours due to health problems of some sort?

Bummer. Solid musician with a down to earth personality. Hope the best for him.

Jeb, you know you live in the age of internet thievery, right?
yeah but i like holding things
Nick Ink

« Reply #574 on: Jun 23, 2011, 01:32:57 AM »

So I just noticed that Jason Molina of Songs: Ohia & Magnolia Elec. Comp. cancelled his most recent European & American tours due to health problems of some sort?

Bummer. Solid musician with a down to earth personality. Hope the best for him.

That's not good. But scouting around a bit on the net, it sounds at least like he might be resting and recovering now after a scare/illness, rather than facing more treatment - there aren't any details out there though.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Miscellaneous Random Catchall Music Thread Device
Jump to: