Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 18, 2014, 09:07:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657241 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: Saturday night and I just got paid: upcoming concerts  (Read 45066 times)
Javan

« Reply #350 on: May 24, 2011, 04:38:54 PM »

short notice I know, but I have a spare ticket to tomorrow's gandalfs show at koko, london. if any UK lptjers are in need let me know!
Nick Ink

« Reply #351 on: May 25, 2011, 02:34:52 PM »

I'm going to see Robyn Hitchcock next Wednesday. Hope he does some of the new album, as it's aces.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
peacocks

« Reply #352 on: May 25, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »

this is horrible but for the longest time every time I see Robyn Hitchcock's name my first thought is of the 90's and current swedish pop star Robyn. One day I'll get around to checking that dude out.

dick-check your priviledge
narlus

« Reply #353 on: May 25, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »

this is horrible but for the longest time every time I see Robyn Hitchcock's name my first thought is of the 90's and current swedish pop star Robyn. One day I'll get around to checking that dude out.

posts like this make me realize how old i am relative to the median age of this board.  Laughing

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #354 on: May 25, 2011, 11:55:56 PM »

I never got into dude either and we are of an age, narlus. I don't know who the fuck Robyn is though. Maybe I feel old too.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Nick Ink

« Reply #355 on: May 26, 2011, 01:36:12 AM »

You people need a Robyn Hitchcock mix.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
narlus

« Reply #356 on: May 26, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »

definitely one of my favorite artists...i've got some ideas and can get a mix up this weekend if people want it.

Nick Ink

« Reply #357 on: May 26, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »

definitely one of my favorite artists...i've got some ideas and can get a mix up this weekend if people want it.

Have you heard his new one, narlus? Tromso, Kaptein? It's fargin excellent.

narlus

« Reply #358 on: May 26, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »

i have not. that's the Norwegian one? or just has a Norse title?

Nick Ink

« Reply #359 on: May 26, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »

i have not. that's the Norwegian one? or just has a Norse title?

Kind of. It's 10 tracks, with a fairly minimal sound - basically, no Venus 3 and all the fresher for it. There's quite a lot of cello, which is cool.

There is a Norwegian-language version of 'Goodnight Oslo' and a (brilliant) reworking of Raining Twilight Coast, and the other tracks are all new material. It's classic Robyn really - catchy songs with sweet melodies, cool imagery and deceptively detailed and complex little bridges and derails tucked away inside them. I think it's better than naything he's done post Jewels For Sophia.

narlus

« Reply #360 on: May 26, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »

nice, i'll check it out. i think i've got virtually everything else he's put out.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #361 on: May 27, 2011, 01:20:11 AM »

Yo, I would hereby like to rep for both Robyn Hitchcock and just plain Robyn. They are both awesome.

My favorite Robyn Hitchcock jam: Glass Hotel (from his solo album Eye, though this is a live version)

And a pretty great live tune by Robyn: Be Mine (this is from her self-titled album, but it's a dance-pop tune on there. This version is extremely minimal and WILL DESTROY YOU, so be forewarned)

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
justinh

« Reply #362 on: May 27, 2011, 10:21:37 AM »

I wish Robyn Hitchcock would come back here...did anybody see his tour where he performed vintage Joe Boyd-produced 60s/70s jams?  I really wanted to go to that, but couldn't make it down to Chicago. 

The only upcoming gig I'm stoked about is John Maus.  Any of you guys keen on him?  He used to be in Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti but his solo stuff is a little more keyboard-oriented.  He's a Minnesota native as well, and seems to still be living in Austin, MN (population 2000 or something, in the middle of nowhere). 
narlus

« Reply #363 on: May 27, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »

the closest Hitchcock played w/ Boyd was 3 hr from me (at Mass MOCA). i missed it. would have loved to have seen though.

next show for me is a double dose of Melvins.

davy

« Reply #364 on: May 27, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »

I've tried a couple times to get into Robyn Hitchcock. Bought the deluxe reissue of Underwater Moonlight, always keep my eyes open for Hitchcock vinyl, even bought that first retrospective box set. It's just not happening the way I hoped. It doesn't stick to me.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
peacocks

« Reply #365 on: May 27, 2011, 12:51:20 PM »

to get into someone I would just head to youtube or grooveshark or something instead of buying a bunch of deluxe box set stuff unless it was in a dollar bin. It sucks spending cash on something you end up not being enthusiastic about.

Chet

« Reply #366 on: May 27, 2011, 01:50:46 PM »

going to see the gandalfs in a little while.
(it will be my first time Smile )

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
peacocks

« Reply #367 on: May 27, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »

you're gonna have a great time!

justinh

« Reply #368 on: May 27, 2011, 02:57:49 PM »

Yeah Davy, if Underwater Moonlight doesn't do it for you, you might be incapable of Robyn Hitchcock appreciation. 

Is Hitchcock vinyl still fairly cheap?  Seems like I have pretty much a complete collection of 80s LPs that I got for $3-5 a piece. 
davy

« Reply #369 on: May 27, 2011, 03:12:25 PM »

to get into someone I would just head to youtube or grooveshark or something instead of buying a bunch of deluxe box set stuff unless it was in a dollar bin. It sucks spending cash on something you end up not being enthusiastic about.

On the contrary, box sets are a great way to get into new bands. In a lot of cases, you're getting the best dose they can throw at you--essays, commentary, artwork, classic songs, maybe some video--and if you don't end up liking it, then you can sell it on the secondhand market for basically what you paid for it. This is especially true if you bought it secondhand in the first place.

davy

« Reply #370 on: May 27, 2011, 03:14:05 PM »

Yeah Davy, if Underwater Moonlight doesn't do it for you, you might be incapable of Robyn Hitchcock appreciation. 

Is Hitchcock vinyl still fairly cheap?  Seems like I have pretty much a complete collection of 80s LPs that I got for $3-5 a piece. 

I don't mean to say I don't like his music. I like Underwater Moonlight a decent amount and still play it occasionally. I also quite like Eye and Black Snake Diamond Role and Element of Light...but I don't love any of it, really, and that's kinda what I was hoping for.

Lucy

« Reply #371 on: May 27, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »

A box set would be the easiest way to completely overwhelm me and make it hard for me to really have an entry point. I've even had friends make long best-of mixes and it's been almost too challenging for me to listen to until I've internalized a couple of songs, and almost impossible for me to really love until the artist or songs somehow becomes attached to something meaningful to me.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #372 on: Jun 09, 2011, 06:08:06 AM »

okay it's decision time: 2 free shows tonight, should I go see (1) very hip thing with squarepusher glasser and jamie xx or (2) something called "performance for four microwaves"

I kind of know which way I'm leaning here though

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
alex

« Reply #373 on: Jun 09, 2011, 07:39:22 AM »

I'd go see the microwaves, for sure.

Also, it's kind of exciting to see microwaves transform back into 'brown goods' after all these years. (This is in reference to a chapter called 'White Goods, Brown Goods' in Cynthia Cockburn's and Susan Omrod's seminal history of how gender and technology shaped each other in the making of the microwave oven, in which they show that microwaves were originally marketed as technologically exciting gadgets for men and sold among music systems and TVs before being reframed as household technologies, marketed at female customers and families and sold among fridges and washing machines. )
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #374 on: Jun 09, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »

I'd go see the microwaves, for sure.

Also, it's kind of exciting to see microwaves transform back into 'brown goods' after all these years. (This is in reference to a chapter called 'White Goods, Brown Goods' in Cynthia Cockburn's and Susan Omrod's seminal history of how gender and technology shaped each other in the making of the microwave oven, in which they show that microwaves were originally marketed as technologically exciting gadgets for men and sold among music systems and TVs before being reframed as household technologies, marketed at female customers and families and sold among fridges and washing machines. )

interesting. I think of microwaves almost more as a "gadget" these days than as a straight kitchen appliance... And I admit that I shudder a little to think of the "Performance for XBox, TV, Mini-fridge, and Microwave" currently taking place in dorm rooms across the country...

anyway looks like I'm called in to work tonight and can't see either.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Saturday night and I just got paid: upcoming concerts
Jump to: