Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 2014, 07:37:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657253 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 80 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
Print
Author Topic: Saturday night and I just got paid: upcoming concerts  (Read 45721 times)
justinh

« Reply #450 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:06:56 PM »

I'm stoked to finally be seeing the Church next month--Untitled 23, Priest=Aura, and Starfish in their entirety.  And it's at that rad Moorish revival theater on Flinders street. 

Considering checking out Royal Headache on Saturday as well, but I'm kind of on the fence about that band. 
narlus

« Reply #451 on: Nov 10, 2011, 01:52:20 PM »

I'm stoked to finally be seeing the Church next month--Untitled 23, Priest=Aura, and Starfish in their entirety.  And it's at that rad Moorish revival theater on Flinders street. 

Considering checking out Royal Headache on Saturday as well, but I'm kind of on the fence about that band. 

i saw that show earlier this year...excellent stuff.

ATP's next I'll Be Your Mirror in London looks awesome. wondering if it's even feasible to try to attend, given that I'll be going to Roadburn this year too.

peacocks

« Reply #452 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »

where do I go to buy jeff mangum tickets for feb in athens

dick-check your priviledge
Maaik

« Reply #453 on: Nov 11, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »

http://www.pitchatent.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=01&Category_Code=40watt

I'm hitting refresh waiting to buy tickets to his atlanta show

I need anne the man lessons
peacocks

« Reply #454 on: Nov 11, 2011, 11:58:11 AM »

I wish I could go to that one but it's on wednesday Sad

edit: I'm dumb. I get it now.

edit2: but are they not on sale yet? I thought it was supposed to be today. hrm.
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2011, 12:00:55 PM by peacocks » Logged

dick-check your priviledge
hannah

« Reply #455 on: Nov 13, 2011, 03:33:53 PM »

I am seeing Yo La Tengo on Xmas!
cold before sunrise

« Reply #456 on: Nov 15, 2011, 03:17:56 AM »

narlus: bring me!

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
davy

« Reply #457 on: Nov 15, 2011, 09:33:16 AM »

Dr. Dog is tonight!

But ohhhh, how I wish they didn't have such a terrible band name! I really like the band, and I'm really excited about this show, but every time I utter those words I feel silly.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Mike24

« Reply #458 on: Nov 15, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »

deer tick tomorrow

she doesn't like it too hot, she doesn't like it too cold, room temperature, room temperature
fishjim

« Reply #459 on: Nov 15, 2011, 11:29:28 AM »

Dr. Dog is tonight!

But ohhhh, how I wish they didn't have such a terrible band name! I really like the band, and I'm really excited about this show, but every time I utter those words I feel silly.

Just pretend it's spelled Dr. Dawwwg.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
mountmccabe

« Reply #460 on: Nov 15, 2011, 06:36:34 PM »

Heading to now: Fucked Up (performing David Comes to Life), Titus Andronicus at Warsaw

Friday: Parts & Labor (play songs from Mapmaker) at Death By Audio

Saturday: NYPhil conducted by Haitink perform Bruckner's 7th and Haydn's 96th at Avery Fisher Hall

I put in for the Met lottery to get cheap seats for the Saturday afternoon Glass opera but didn't get picked.

You know a pancake?
merrittfan

« Reply #461 on: Nov 15, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »

Heading to now: Fucked Up (performing David Comes to Life), Titus Andronicus at Warsaw

Saturday: NYPhil conducted by Haitink perform Bruckner's 7th and Haydn's 96th at Avery Fisher Hall

I put in for the Met lottery to get cheap seats for the Saturday afternoon Glass opera but didn't get picked.

These are all so, so great and so, so enviable.  Fucked Up doing DCTL in particular.  I can't imagine how cool that would be.  They're one of the best live bands I've ever seen, but seeing them do an album (particularly THAT album) is a curious prospect.  But I'm sure they'll knock it out of the park.

And that Haydn piece is so damn beautiful.
narlus

« Reply #462 on: Nov 15, 2011, 10:14:12 PM »

narlus: bring me!

i bought tickets for my wife and me last Friday.

cold before sunrise

« Reply #463 on: Nov 16, 2011, 02:28:59 PM »

i'm not your wife. the poor woman, having to put up with a man who doesn't listen.

mountmccabe

« Reply #464 on: Nov 16, 2011, 03:33:59 PM »

These are all so, so great and so, so enviable.  Fucked Up doing DCTL in particular.  I can't imagine how cool that would be.  They're one of the best live bands I've ever seen, but seeing them do an album (particularly THAT album) is a curious prospect.  But I'm sure they'll knock it out of the park.

That Fucked Up set was terribly disappointing. They did nothing special for the show other than play the album straight through. No guest vocalists, no stage play or props, etc. And Damien was more restrained - didn't see him go into the crowd and no real on-stage craziness - what with having to manage all the verbosity of the opera. Also the vocals were nearly inaudible most of the time, which is a big negative if you're trying to show off your rock opera.

The end result was a tame Fucked Up show... which isn't awful but was way less remarkable than I was expecting.

Titus Andronicus were fantastic as openers, though so I am still glad I went. (And you could very clearly hear Patrick and his strained yelping so it wasn't just the venue.) They played three new songs and then the rest of them were all anti-authority/capitalism/corruption sort of things because of what had happened at Zuccotti Park the night before. It was interesting how little they had to switch around to have an Occupy Wall Street-appropriate set.

And I am going to the NYPhil show more for the Bruckner but the Haydn is nice, too! I will try to remember to comment afterward.

You know a pancake?
merrittfan

« Reply #465 on: Nov 16, 2011, 07:34:56 PM »

That Fucked Up set was terribly disappointing. They did nothing special for the show other than play the album straight through. No guest vocalists, no stage play or props, etc. And Damien was more restrained - didn't see him go into the crowd and no real on-stage craziness - what with having to manage all the verbosity of the opera. Also the vocals were nearly inaudible most of the time, which is a big negative if you're trying to show off your rock opera.

The end result was a tame Fucked Up show... which isn't awful but was way less remarkable than I was expecting.

Titus Andronicus were fantastic as openers, though so I am still glad I went. (And you could very clearly hear Patrick and his strained yelping so it wasn't just the venue.) They played three new songs and then the rest of them were all anti-authority/capitalism/corruption sort of things because of what had happened at Zuccotti Park the night before. It was interesting how little they had to switch around to have an Occupy Wall Street-appropriate set.

And I am going to the NYPhil show more for the Bruckner but the Haydn is nice, too! I will try to remember to comment afterward.

A lackluster Fucked Up show sounds almost like an impossibility!  Man, that's super disappointing, I was pretty excited by the whole notion of them performing it all the way through.  My friend Kenny was at one of them (I think that same one, but I'm not sure), and he enjoyed but he also said he couldn't properly decipher the vox and he's never seen them before.  Sorry to hear it was less than awesome.

And, I'm surprised they didn't at the very least bring out Kurt Vile for the last song!
cold before sunrise

« Reply #466 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »

mountmccabe: were you with us at the festival when fucked up played? the big guy sprayed beer in my face and then jumped off-stage to kiss my cheeks, in his underwear. it was hilarious and weird, a highlight of atp ny last year.

edison

« Reply #467 on: Nov 17, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »

I have never heard Fucked Up, so not really in a good position to comment, but for what it's worth I remember stumbling up on a interview of their singer somewhere recently, where he said he was considering giving up touring altogether (because of his family). Perhaps that's a factor?
mountmccabe

« Reply #468 on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:00:40 AM »

Interesting. My good friend who has followed them for years and seen them countless times just expressed that he would not mind if the became a studio only band, due to the live issues. I don't think I Jane any desire to see them again but I'll by albums.

And yeah, cbs, I was there for that and enjoyed that craziness immensely. This show was missing most of that but failed to go enough in the other direction to be viable.

You know a pancake?
cold before sunrise

« Reply #469 on: Nov 19, 2011, 03:08:59 PM »

such a hoot. did i tell you about when that dirtball ron jeremy tried to impress me by acting like a hot shot, when i was calling hannibal buress from the front desk to let me stay in his spare bed, after losing the key to our room? haha, now that's what a troll looks like!

Javan

« Reply #470 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:12:31 AM »

So! I'm on my way to ATP in 2 weeks, the lineup being as follows:

Friday 9th December - Curated by Les Savy Fav

Les Savy Fav
Archers Of Loaf
Holy Fuck
Hot Snakes
No Age
The Dodos
Marnie Stern

Wild Flag
Oxes
Simian Mobile Disco (DJ set)
Surfer Blood
Total Control
Violent Soho
Future Islands
The Budos Band

Saturday 10th December - Curated by Battles

Battles
Flying Lotus
Gary Numan
Bitch Magnet
The Field
Washed Out
The Psychic Paramount
Cults
Thank You
Nisennenmondai
Walls (live)
Phil Manley Life Coach
Underground Resistance presents Interstellar Fugitives
Dead Rider
Matias Aguayo

Sunday 11th December - Curated by Caribou

Caribou Vibration Ensemble
Pharoah Sanders
The Ex with Getatchew Mekurya
Junior Boys
Omar Souleyman
Sun Ra Arkestra
Factory Floor
Four Tet
Theo Parrish (4 Hour DJ Set)
Toro Y Moi
Orchestra Of Spheres
Silver Apples
Roll The Dice
Connan Mockasin

DJ Rashad & DJ Spinn

(bands in bold being ones i'll do my best to catch)

Anyone else I should be trying to see? The Battles day in particular is one I'm least familiar with.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #471 on: Nov 25, 2011, 05:37:03 AM »

saw battles play at primavera in spain and despite their amazing music videos found the live act intolerable. it was like a living headache. i've since found them to be suitable and enjoyable jogging music, because both are monotonous and lovely in their own right, but i'd never go out of my way to see them in person if anybody worth catching is on at the same time. unsurprisingly, they haven't put together a very interesting assembly for saturday.

Javan

« Reply #472 on: Nov 25, 2011, 07:03:57 AM »

I have similiar feelings towards battles. Loved the first album, couldn't get into them when i saw them live at atp a couple of years back, and haven't got into the new album at all :/
Maybe saturday will be a day for wandering around minehead.
narlus

« Reply #473 on: Nov 25, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »

for that ATP i would also try to see:

Archers Of Loaf
Wild Flag
Oxes
The Budos Band

Saturday 10th December - Curated by Battles

Gary Numan
Bitch Magnet
Washed Out

Sunday 11th December - Curated by Caribou

Pharoah Sanders
The Ex with Getatchew Mekurya
Sun Ra Arkestra
Factory Floor
Toro Y Moi
Silver Apples

Javan

« Reply #474 on: Nov 25, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »

ta! I think it'll be a weekend for wandering around dazed and trying to see a bunch of bands i don't really know. should be fun though Smile
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Saturday night and I just got paid: upcoming concerts
Jump to: