Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 21, 2014, 12:33:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 74 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Print
Author Topic: DEAR GOD MAKE IT STOP - new hellish earworm thread  (Read 25371 times)
jm

« Reply #225 on: Jun 23, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »

HERE COMES THE RAIN AGAIN

FALLIN ON MY HEAD LIKE A MEM-O-REE

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
clare

« Reply #226 on: Jun 24, 2011, 12:16:59 AM »

Ugh, why did I click on this thread? I always regret it...

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Antero

« Reply #227 on: Jul 06, 2011, 02:14:24 AM »

Fuck my life.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Thermofusion

« Reply #228 on: Jul 15, 2011, 11:20:38 AM »

This awesome new TMBG tune, all morning:
When Will You Die

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #229 on: Jul 15, 2011, 02:48:58 PM »

The album is free, do I have that right?

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
jm

« Reply #230 on: Jul 15, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »

I think it's just selected advance tracks that are free, but also I'm told that the album was leaked, so, in a way, yes.

davy

« Reply #231 on: Jul 15, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »

I was really excited to listen, but that song's not doing too much for me, actually.

davy

« Reply #232 on: Jul 15, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »

I think it's just selected advance tracks that are free, but also I'm told that the album was leaked, so, in a way, yes.

In the caption for each youtube video of a song on this album, it says "Download full album: [link]" And the vids were posted by the official TMBG account.

Listening to another song now, and dang, I guess this isn't the direction I was hoping for. Sounds like b-sides, which, okay, but.

jm

« Reply #233 on: Jul 15, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »

Yeah, I heard the one song that they released a few months back--it was OK but not great--and hadn't bothered to listen to any of the others. I figure I'll just get the whole album when it comes out for real.

Thermofusion

« Reply #234 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:24:20 PM »

Yeah, it's a leak, I think the album comes out Tuesday. I listened to it last night while doing some stuff around the house, and on the whole it reminds me of John Henry. A few earnest full-band rock songs, some weirdness scattered around, a few misfires but on the whole pretty good and maybe better than it should be considering its length.

triple paisley minimum
jm

« Reply #235 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »

Well, you know me. I love that band and have enjoyed something from every album they've put out, so I'm bound to find something I like in this one.  Even the early advance-release track Can't Keep Johnny Down is pretty fucking catchy.

Thermofusion

« Reply #236 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:31:02 PM »

Yeah, that's a great track! "All of the dicks in this dick town/can't keep Johnny down" is a great line.

triple paisley minimum
jm

« Reply #237 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:45:07 PM »

I rather liked the "they haven't yet built the man..." line, heh!

Javan

« Reply #238 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »

As somebody who only knows tmbg through 'birdhouse' and the kids albums, is there a preferred starting point in their discography?
jm

« Reply #239 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »

Lincoln - it's not quite *as* wacky/wonky as their first album*, but retains a lot of the DIYish aspects that contributed in large part to their "quirkiness". And oh my god the lyrics. Standout tracks on that album are Ana Ng and They'll Need a Crane.

Flood is the commonest starting point (and includes Birdhouse), and has some slightly more standard-song songs as well as their best-known (though I haven't intentionally listened to Particle Man in probably ten or more years).

* this is not a criticism of their first album, by the way

Thermofusion

« Reply #240 on: Jul 15, 2011, 03:59:09 PM »

Flood (the album with Birdhouse on it)

I like their pre-John Henry stuff better (the self titled, Lincoln, Flood and Apollo 18) but like jm I tend to find something I like on all their albums. After that run of records they started using a full band, which caused a bit of a schism among their diehard fans. I don't really care about all that, though I think some of the charm was lost when they went to a full band.

x-post yeah, Lincoln is a great album and "They'll Need a Crane" is devastating

triple paisley minimum
Javan

« Reply #241 on: Jul 15, 2011, 05:54:30 PM »

Thanks! I'll try and spend some time with them over the next week and see if anything sticks  Smile
davy

« Reply #242 on: Jul 15, 2011, 09:48:18 PM »

Flood was the first TMBG album I liked.

This was the first one I loved:

And after I got this:

...I realized we were in "one of my favorite bands" territory. (It's a compilation featuring their first two albums -- the s/t one and Lincoln -- with all attendant b-sides.)

And for my money, the best thing they've ever released is this EP:

...but it's not exactly typical, so I wouldn't start there.

jm

« Reply #243 on: Jul 18, 2011, 10:50:34 PM »

This awesome new TMBG tune, all morning:
When Will You Die

Yeah, this is really good, as is Cloisonné.

Thermofusion

« Reply #244 on: Jul 18, 2011, 11:10:45 PM »

Yeah! Cloisonne's my favorite Flans song on the album (which I'm liking a lot so far)

xpost:

And for my money, the best thing they've ever released is this EP:

...but it's not exactly typical, so I wouldn't start there.

I wouldn't go that far, though the leadoff track on that EP is stunning

triple paisley minimum
jm

« Reply #245 on: Jul 18, 2011, 11:32:54 PM »

also yo, I feel like there are an unusual number of Ween moments on this album, for whatever that's worth.

edit: also yeah, Am I Awake? is incredible.  and re: this new album, I like that they can still kind of milk the pathetic lazy self-important used-car-salesman-caricature effectively.

other edit: yeah, this When Will You Die? track is pretty John Henry.

I think the last track could be a younger sibling to They'll Need a Crane.  As could Judy is Your Viet Nam to Out of Jail.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2011, 11:55:39 PM by jm » Logged

Thermofusion

« Reply #246 on: Jul 19, 2011, 12:59:58 AM »

In particular, that one track late in the album with Flans' pitch-shifted vocals sounds almost like a deliberate Ween homage!

And yep that last track is great. The lyrics kind of gave me a I've Got a Match vibe (which might be the bitterest Linnell song, which along with They'll Need a Crane helps make Lincoln the darkest TMBG album imo)

Also davy you should get this album man, you'd really dig it if you're reppin' for Factory Showroom

triple paisley minimum
jm

« Reply #247 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:04:14 AM »

In particular, that one track late in the album with Flans' pitch-shifted vocals sounds almost like a deliberate Ween homage!

And yep that last track is great. The lyrics kind of gave me a I've Got a Match vibe (which might be the bitterest Linnell song, which along with They'll Need a Crane helps make Lincoln the darkest TMBG album imo)

Also davy you should get this album man, you'd really dig it if you're reppin' for Factory Showroom

Oh yeah, I think I've Got a Match is a better... match for that song.

davy

« Reply #248 on: Jul 19, 2011, 03:41:29 AM »

Really? Because one of the things I really dig about FS is the production, far more punchy and dynamic than the earlier stuff. I feel like as they get older, and their songwriting maybe declines a little, their skill as producers just keeps improving. The Else was pretty inconsistent from a songwriting perspective, but I thought it sounded beautiful.

The few tracks I listened to off this new one sounded really thin and low-fi. Like they were deliberately trying to go back to a pre-Flood production style. And I don't know if I can get behind that. On the other hand, it may just be the youtube videos not sounding great.

But I WANT to believe, so I'll definitely give it a solid chance to impress me. May even buy it when it comes out. Is it out?

jm

« Reply #249 on: Jul 19, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »

Yeah, that was the main one I was thinking of, though the bit in Cloisonne reminds me a little of Spinal Meningitis.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: DEAR GOD MAKE IT STOP - new hellish earworm thread
Jump to: