Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 16, 2014, 05:59:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657224 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 239 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Have You Heard the Ocarina of Rhyme by Team Teamwork? (New Hip-Hop Thread)  (Read 22610 times)
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #225 on: Oct 09, 2010, 01:49:37 AM »

I've decided that I like Waka, simply because his music makes me uncomfortable.

I think this is pretty much why everyone likes Waka.

Good Intentions

« Reply #226 on: Oct 09, 2010, 06:51:44 AM »

why do people insist on liking die antwoord
Their music videos are fan-fucking-tastic.

Also, it's a really funny joke.
I just saw their newest video. Case in point. For god's sake, it includes a significant passage in Xhosa where a young man proclaims his unwillingness to participate in the circumcision and coming of age ritual traditionally expected of him, because he's too much of a baller to give in to peer pressure.

Me, the thing I worry about with them (which I might have mentioned on here) is the fact that they seem to have far more visual artists on the staff than actual musicians, and that tis has led to them either already tumbling into style>>substance or is sailing dangerously close to the wind on that count. And while I think this is the best Waddy has done in his long career as doyen of SA rap, the rapping never rises above serviceable.
shai faithe

« Reply #227 on: Oct 09, 2010, 04:03:32 PM »

I've decided that I like Waka, simply because his music makes me uncomfortable.

I think this is pretty much why everyone likes Waka.
i like him because he makes me feel like a badass.  same with jeezy.

Antero

« Reply #228 on: Oct 11, 2010, 04:52:06 AM »

i know i'm sometimes on some hyperbole when i hear stuff for the first time (which i then usually later regret), but THIS is really good.  assuredly.  (if it's any help, dude is e-40's son.) (via tumblin erb)
i also just copped mic strange's da bootlegz vol. 6 (available over at dat piff), and so far i'm really impressed, but that's not surprising given what i've heard from him already.
Droop-E is a crown jewel of the Bay.  For those who don't know, here's a primer.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
shai faithe

« Reply #229 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »

i know i'm sometimes on some hyperbole when i hear stuff for the first time (which i then usually later regret), but THIS is really good.  assuredly.  (if it's any help, dude is e-40's son.) (via tumblin erb)
i also just copped mic strange's da bootlegz vol. 6 (available over at dat piff), and so far i'm really impressed, but that's not surprising given what i've heard from him already.
Droop-E is a crown jewel of the Bay.  For those who don't know, here's a primer.
dude! you knew about that and didn't tell anyone?  i totally feel like we've been trapped in a cabin for days boiling our belts, and you just pulled out some pizza.

lucky strike

« Reply #230 on: Oct 16, 2010, 03:59:08 PM »

b-legit is so dope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikI4fN5YurY r. kelly - real talk

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
Antero

« Reply #231 on: Oct 16, 2010, 06:02:35 PM »

dude! you knew about that and didn't tell anyone?  i totally feel like we've been trapped in a cabin for days boiling our belts, and you just pulled out some pizza.
I had forgotten about it!

dieblucasdie

« Reply #232 on: Oct 17, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »

Not enough The Appeal in thread.  I seem to recall you being vaguely anti-Gucci, Antero?  Have you heard it?  It really won me over.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Antero

« Reply #233 on: Oct 17, 2010, 08:43:09 PM »

I don't want to say I'm anti-Gucci per se, I more just don't really care about what he's doing.  We're moving in different directions.  If I met him at a cocktail party we would have very little to talk about. 

Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #234 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:19:16 AM »

I ain't following mixtapes worth a shit this year, so it's mostly just the hyped records I've been tying anchor to, and fuck if I am not totally on board with everything Kanye's doin' of late.

Especially "Take One for the Team" which is the best G.O.O.D. Friday thing yet. Earns its extended two minute outro with a keyboard line from the neon superbrain.

nonotyet

« Reply #235 on: Oct 18, 2010, 02:15:41 PM »

Eyedea is dead.

DanielBurns11

« Reply #236 on: Oct 18, 2010, 02:41:45 PM »

Yeah, I heard about that last night, fucking crazy. Motivated me to put on E&A last night for the first time in a while, and although I'm not the hugest fan, I was reminded how talented the guy was. Fucked up.

As for my hip-hop lately, I've mostly just gone back to listening to Ghostface after buying Ironman, and I've realized that Supreme Clientele is like the last LP of his I don't have. I need to correct this.

Also put on that Freddie Gibbs mixtape midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmuzik again last night, and shit, if anyone still hasn't heard this, well you oughta. Really need to give his other mixtapes more of a listen, cuz the dude is amazing.

Edit: Also, Lil B is awesome
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2010, 02:45:35 PM by DanielBurns11 » Logged

Babar

« Reply #237 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:47:50 PM »

As for my hip-hop lately, I've mostly just gone back to listening to Ghostface after buying Ironman, and I've realized that Supreme Clientele is like the last LP of his I don't have. I need to correct this.

Saving the best for last, eh?

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Antero

« Reply #238 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »

Yeah, Supreme Clientele is staggering.

Eyedea is dead.
Yeah, what the fuck!  I'm not okay with that.

DanielBurns11

« Reply #239 on: Oct 18, 2010, 05:23:21 PM »

Saving the best for last, eh?

Yeah I don't know how the hell it happened, but his most lauded album ended up being the one left out in the end.

And I kinda lied because I don't own Bulletproof Wallets or his last one.

Antero

« Reply #240 on: Oct 18, 2010, 07:26:56 PM »

Neither of those are vital.  Bulletproof Wallets was hamstrung by sample clearance issues in a couple places, and The Wizard of Poetry is... well... it is what it is.

Babar

« Reply #241 on: Oct 18, 2010, 09:49:36 PM »

I got love for both of them but it's true they aren't really vital. "Flowers" is the song that particularly stands out where you're like "something very important is missing from this song"

Hmmm, i seemed to have found the original version within a couple seconds. i love the internet. Wow, it's way better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd9P5m1tir4

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #242 on: Oct 19, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »

damn. that is good.

Also, you guys seems to check southernhospitality already, but I wanted to share this remix of "money in the sky" that they posted. I love it. g-side

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Babar

« Reply #243 on: Oct 19, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »

I just created a custom-made "original" version of Bulletproof Wallets. It's way more consistent now. I've only listened to it once but I think it could get in the top 3 ghost along with Supreme and Pretty Toney.

The songs one needs are:
The Sun
Forrest (Original Version)
Flowers (Original Version)
The Watch
Good Times (pt.1)

and they are all available for free here: http://www.wutang-corp.com/media/downloads.php

pretty neat.

Trousers and Pat

« Reply #244 on: Oct 20, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »

Done, and I now have an album called "Babarproof Wallets"

for the record

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
simonfox

« Reply #245 on: Oct 20, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »

That really sucks about Eyedea!  I had not heard about that at all.

And though it seems a little awkward to say in the next breath, what does everybody think about Revolutions Per Minute?  I'm just hearing it for the first time right now and I'm really digging it.  I did a search of the forum though and didn't see any mention of Reflection Eternal since around the middle of last year.

Antero

« Reply #246 on: Oct 21, 2010, 03:33:28 PM »

OddFuture @ Low End Theory last night

Holy crap!

shai faithe

« Reply #247 on: Oct 21, 2010, 05:52:03 PM »

Yeah, I heard about that last night, fucking crazy. Motivated me to put on E&A last night for the first time in a while, and although I'm not the hugest fan, I was reminded how talented the guy was. Fucked up.

Also put on that Freddie Gibbs mixtape midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmuzik again last night, and shit, if anyone still hasn't heard this, well you oughta. Really need to give his other mixtapes more of a listen, cuz the dude is amazing.

Edit: Also, Lil B is awesome
i've been listening to ironman a lot lately, so this is a cool coincidence.  why don't more people talk about that album?  i know in older-dude-new-york hip hop circles it gets A LOT of praise--in fact it's sometimes called his best album--but other than that it seems left out of the conversation, similar to tical, which we've touched upon a few times.
i never thought pretty toney was that good, way too overproduced for me (though of course, as with anything ghostface, it has some jaw-dropping shit on it). seems like it was just a place where a lot of people our age started with ghost, so it has a sentimental value. but i'm going to take your advice, babar, and do this original version of bulletproof wallets.  for anyone else doing this, here's a link to tracklist of the original (i think).
that screwed version of "money in the sky" is wonderful (already an astoundingly great song).  if you check the tag for "babe rainbow," soho has a link to a screwed tape babe did with a bunch of good material.
revolutions per minute was good but not terribly noteworthy, mainly because it's impossible not to listen to that record in light of genuine classic train of thought.  the only thing i can really remember other than, "hey this is a damn good record considering the expectations, and it gives me hope for a new black star joint," is that jay elec verse on "just begun," which is stuuuuupid fresh (actually that whole song is like whoa).  i'll have to go back and give it another listen to see if i still feel the same way about it.
how come eyedea never blew up?  he was arguably the best pure emcee out of that entire pack of early 00s alt-rappers (except maybe sage francis, who became somewhat of a star).  i never really dug his stuff, though i never heard oliver hart, and i've been told that that's the place to start.
loving good fridays ("so appalled" is my favorite so far).  kanye is an absolute beast. he's been using the past two years to repeatedly prove that he's top twenty.
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010, 09:09:55 PM by shai faithe » Logged

Antero

« Reply #248 on: Oct 23, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »

Kanye's Runaway film is pretty fucking odd.  Certainly, he seems to be the only person around with rock star ambition, so I gotta love him for that.  Also, the music is generally of higher quality than the Good Friday stuff, especially the last song in it.  There will be at least one fucking awesome cut on the new album.

shai faithe

« Reply #249 on: Oct 24, 2010, 12:28:05 AM »

yeah that was sort of huge disaster (city of angels, right?).
the only truly redeeming part of it was the michael jackson face float, and the line "do you know she's a bird?" followed by kanye deadpanning "nah i never noticed that."
but i have to give credit for ambition, and for out lady-gaga-ing lady gaga, if you know what i mean.
it would have been better if the model had been a real bird.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2010, 12:31:18 AM by shai faithe » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: Have You Heard the Ocarina of Rhyme by Team Teamwork? (New Hip-Hop Thread)
Jump to: