Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 19, 2014, 05:25:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657246 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 65 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: i need kitten help! anyone experienced?  (Read 1010 times)
lucky strike

« on: Sep 18, 2010, 07:50:51 AM »

i just got into work and my friend (who works overnight) said he found a trapped kitten on the grounds. it looks to be only two weeks old at most. it's crying constantly, but with lots of strength and it is LOUD! i take this as a good sign, as the stray i rescued from the grips of animal control 2 months ago (who calls that shit on a kitten?) had mange and was so dehydrated that the humane society vet pumped fluids in his body. anyway, i need to feed this baby! i had a kitten once before. i got him when he was four weeks old and he was already eating wet food. should i feed this to the baby, or should i do an eyedropper and kitten formula thing? i can't go anywhere or take him to a vet right now for i am at work for twelve hours. any advice, kitty parents?

LISTEN TO ME YOU SON OF A BITCH IM A DETECTIVE GOD DAMN IT
lucky strike

« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2010, 08:50:06 AM »

worry not, kitten fans. i did hecka googling and i think it's all going to work out for the lad.

milesofsparks

« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »

Fenster to thread!  she is the absolute expert.  I would guess kitten formula, but I don't know for sure.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
lucky strike

« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2010, 10:28:50 AM »

i got kitten formula, a pet nursing bottle, a heating pad, a cardboard box, and some old sheets from my car. gotta give the poor thing a bath because it has feces on its tail and legs a bit, then i'm going to feed it. i'm probably gonna have to bring this fool to work tomorrow so i can feed him moderate amounts frequently. who is this uncle fenster you speak of?

ausdemfenster

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »

I'm the fool who fosters little baby cats all the damn time, so if you want moral support or tips, let me know.

Are its eyes open yet? You say it's able to scream and show displeasure, which is a pretty great sign for a kitten that tiny. When you're feeding it, try to keep all four of its feet on a level surface, and then shove the nipple in its mouth as best you can to encourage suckling. If the nursing bottle seems to be giving you trouble, I often switch to a 1cc syringe to make sure I can keep track of how much formula is actually getting into the tiny beast.

You might need to stimulate bowel movement/urination with a washcloth in a kitten this young, but if it's hovering around the top end of two weeks it should be able to function on its own. My experience with kittens this young is that they are covered in either formula, food, or their own waste about 90% of the time, so it's a constant process of bathing/drying/dirtying/starting all over. It will get better eventually!

lucky strike

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »

it doesn't want to be left alone, so i have to carry it while it tries to crawl into my body straight through the skin. the reason i think he's two weeks old is because his eyes are open, but he pretty much can't see shit. he's still all wobbly when he walks and his floppy ears haven't perked up yet. he has a healthy mew that is mighty, loud, and non-fucking-stop incessant. tonight will be absolutely sleepless, i'm sure, as the only way i can make him be quiet is to scratch his ears.

those baby animal bottles SUCK. at least the one i have does. i will get a syringe.

ausdemfenster

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2010, 12:39:40 PM »

It might be worthwhile to contact local cat rescue groups to see if any of them have a nursing mother/litter that the kitten could be placed with. Kittens this age are insanely annoying when they're alone; even another similarly-aged cat to squirm against/burrow into calms their screaming down a lot.

At two weeks or so, the kitten should be eating every three hours. Even though it's constantly screaming, it's better to slightly underfeed than overfeed. Hang in there!
cold before sunrise

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »

My best friend responded to kitten screams and found one baby cat alive, the others had all frozen to death, and rescued her just like you're doing now. Now she's the greatest adult cat and seems to know who saved her.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
lucky strike

« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2010, 12:02:12 PM »

it hasn't shat in two days, but it's only eating formula so i don't expect much solid waste yet. am i wrong in this? i try to stimulate the lil' homie's reigon (no beasty), but it just pees a bit, pinches off the flow, and squirms. you know how cats do when you fuck with their tail and legs. if i put him on my bed he will pee within 15 minutes, though. kittens tend to do this in my experience. he doesn't want to pee in his box, which holds consistent with the plaque he nailed to the northern cardboard wall of his domicile that reads, "don't shit where you sleep." i dunno if it is male or female yet and so i interchange the pronouns. right now it is called noname maddox and is really into the beatles.

i'm going to make a vet appointment today. the cat folk around here give you a free checkup if the cat is a stray. is this a universal thing or only something that happens in montrose? i never had a single pet growing up, but i have had cats in the last two years and it totally changed my life. i think cats are the greatest thing in the world now and i unconditionally love them all, but i am not so great at making doctors appointments and shit like that in general.

also, how long should i wait before i get my cat high?

lucky strike

« Reply #9 on: Sep 20, 2010, 12:05:04 PM »

also, milesofsparks, do you know fenster outside of the internet? how can you have less than 100 posts and already be known as the kitty authority otherwise?

DCDave

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20, 2010, 12:20:15 PM »

Fenster's other nickname is "the lurker" in LPTJNY circles IIRC.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
milesofsparks

« Reply #11 on: Sep 20, 2010, 04:46:50 PM »

also, milesofsparks, do you know fenster outside of the internet? how can you have less than 100 posts and already be known as the kitty authority otherwise?

yes.  and she frequently fosters rescue kittens, so there are often tiny baby cats at her house who have been recently pulled from the mean streets of New York (which I sometimes take pictures of to help them find homes:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/catasterist/sets/72157623489355871/).   and yes, she is 'our lurker friend.'

lucky strike

« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:33:31 PM »

i thank ye, lurker, for feline assistance. those pictures are adorable. kitty city!

milesofsparks

« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2010, 11:10:50 PM »

how is the kitten doing?

lucky strike

« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2010, 05:35:26 PM »

it's doing well. it chugs the formula without stopping and is starting to leap into the air when it makes eye contact with me. i guess its eyesight is coming in. i can't wait until it gets bigger! it's going to be awesome at 4 months. i pretty much need help teaching cats to be able to return home but travel outside freely. the last kits i had stayed inside. how do i start to get the cat to go outside and return home when it wants to? other cats that live here already do this.

Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: i need kitten help! anyone experienced?
Jump to: