Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 20, 2014, 04:16:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 68 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: You kids sure have strange ideas about drinking alcohol  (Read 23088 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #350 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »

It is pretty remarkable how basically everything on that list is inferior even to a Sierra Nevada, say.

think 'on the road.'
ellaguru

« Reply #351 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:10:25 PM »

I like how it goes terrible, terrible, mostly terrible, hey I like Leffe and Boddington's is OK, back to mostly terrible, the end.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Greg Nog

« Reply #352 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »

Not really? I've had wittekerk a few times, I liked it ok. Is that a wheat beer?

It is!

My favorite reasonably-common hefeweizen is Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis.  You should give that a shot!

Oh, also, try out Weihenstephaner, for another good Hefeweizen beer that's available a lot of places.
jess

« Reply #353 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »

Also if Guinness is the only dark beer you've tried, you might like others—it's not very representative of the genre. If you've had some very good porters and stouts though and don't like them, then that's a different thing. If not though, and if you like the flavors of coffee and/or dark chocolate, that may be another thing to try.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #354 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »

YES

Especially the Vitus! Weizenbocks are fantastic

xpost

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #355 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »

Not really? I've had wittekerk a few times, I liked it ok. Is that a wheat beer?

It is!

My favorite reasonably-common hefeweizen is Sierra Nevada's Kellerweis.  You should give that a shot!

Oh, also, try out Weihenstephaner, for another good Hefeweizen beer that's available a lot of places.
Cosign on both of these.  Tasty.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
peacocks

« Reply #356 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »

I do enjoy dark chocolate and the taste of coffee! I have taken a sip of someone's milk stout and thought it was interesting- by the left hand brewery, if that means anything to anyone.

dick-check your priviledge
Thermofusion

« Reply #357 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »

Duck Rabbit's dark brews are all great, especially their Baltic Porter and Schwarzbier. I think their milk stout is better than Left Hands, too, but iirc that's a controversial opinion.

triple paisley minimum
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #358 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:49:30 PM »

now if you were to say that Left Hand's milk stout was no good, then I'd disagree with you.  But I have no idea how it stacks up against Duck Rabbit.  If I could get Duck Rabbit's beers around here I'd check it out but sadly I cannot.  Hopefully I'll check some out late this summer when visiting my brother.  Perhaps you'd care to join us in hoisting a few, thermo

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #359 on: Mar 29, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »

I think Left Hand is a pretty mediocre brewery, overall. A little better than Flying Dog, maybe.

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #360 on: Mar 29, 2011, 03:01:47 PM »

Perhaps you'd care to join us in hoisting a few, thermo

Well ya gotta have something to wash em Eastern NC-style pulled pork sandwiches down with

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #361 on: Mar 29, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »

Flying Dog and Magic Hat can both blow me.

I'm a big fan of Duck Rabbit, though, and find most of Left Hand's stuff quite drinkable (though you don't want to have more than a couple of those milk stouts).

I also think that New Belgium, for all its current popularity and oversaturation, is quality stuff. That's good beer for people who aren't necessarily professional beerists.

A recent favorite of mine is Full Sail. Simple brews, done well, pretty affordable. I could go through a sixer of their Amber Ale without a lot of effort, I think.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Greg Nog

« Reply #362 on: Mar 29, 2011, 03:56:22 PM »

You know, I think the only beers I've had are their two Session lagers.  While the regular lager was okay, the dark lager was really wonderful!  If it was half the price it is, I would happily do as the name suggests, and have the dark lager as a session beer for hours straight.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #363 on: Mar 29, 2011, 03:58:01 PM »

I don't really have a problem with Flying Dog.

Magic Hat can suck davy's dick all day and all night for all I care though

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Antero

« Reply #364 on: Mar 29, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »

Flying Dog's got that Gonzo Imperial Porter, that one's pretty great.

Magic Hat is confusingly awful.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #365 on: Mar 29, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »

Fucking FUCK do I hate Magic Hat. I'm glad you guys are aboard, because it seemed I was lonely in that position for a long while. No. 9 is the fucking worst. Here's my review from Beer Advocate, back in '08:

This beer was disappointing on many levels. Magic Hat has been marketed really aggressively in our area over the past year, and I'd resisted the recommendations of friends and well-wishers because the packaging looked hokey to me, and I generally avoid pale ales whose bottles say "not quite IPA" and "infused with the essence of apricot." Against my better judgment, I ordered one last night and was summarily unimpressed; actually a little disgusted. While the beer poured nicely and looks pretty enough, cloudy and coppery, it poured with absolutely no head. Its smell was unremarkable, especially for an IPA supposedly infused with fruit. The beer tastes bland and watery with just a hint of an edge of disgusting rancid fruitiness; it completely lacks any of the bitterness or hoppiness that would qualify it as even a pseudo-IPA. Other reviewers here have mentioned a soapy or dishwater like taste, and I'd have to agree. The Magic Hat hefeweizen has this in droves, as well.

think 'on the road.'
jess

« Reply #366 on: Mar 29, 2011, 04:14:35 PM »

Duck Rabbit's dark beers are amazing. I'd agree that they beat Left Hand, but it's not that Left Hand is bad, but rather that Duck Rabbit is just so very good at their specialty.

For just a straightforward but great porter, I really like Great Lakes Brewing Co' Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, but that may just be available in the midwest. Nothing fancy, but very delicious and not too expensive for a craft. I used to say that brewery and beer were underrated, but then I found out that that brew anyway gets an A/A on Beer Advocate, so maybe not. It's not one that I hear people talk about though.

As for other dark beers, Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is a classic and available at Trader Joe's for a good price. It's also great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it. Rogue's Mocha Porter is nice if you want a beer that's contemplating being iced coffee. Berkshire Brewing Co in MA makes an even better Coffeehouse Porter that is like if great iced coffee and beer mated and had a delicious beer baby.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #367 on: Mar 29, 2011, 04:20:31 PM »

Re: New Belgium-- Fat Tire is one of the most overhyped beers this side of Chicago, purely (I'm convinced) due to its unavailability. It's fine, for what it is, but I certainly would never go out of my way for it. Here, just about 15 min from the Indiana border, people actually drive across state lines for it.

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #368 on: Mar 29, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »

Fat Tire tastes like a medium-bodied amber ale with an undercurrent of burnt food.

For just a straightforward but great porter, I really like Great Lakes Brewing Co' Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, but that may just be available in the midwest. Nothing fancy, but very delicious and not too expensive for a craft. I used to say that brewery and beer were underrated, but then I found out that that brew anyway gets an A/A on Beer Advocate, so maybe not. It's not one that I hear people talk about though.
That's a really great porter.  Anchor's and Founder's are also wonderful, on the porter tip.

jess

« Reply #369 on: Mar 29, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »

edp, have you ever tried Dogfish's Aprihop? It's like everything MH #9 pretends/wants to be, but isn't, including really good.

Re: New Belgium-- Fat Tire is one of the most overhyped beers this side of Chicago, purely (I'm convinced) due to its unavailability. It's fine, for what it is, but I certainly would never go out of my way for it. Here, just about 15 min from the Indiana border, people actually drive across state lines for it.

I think Yuengling would be a contender for that title too, just different geographical area. People get really attached their regionally exclusive mediocre beers that was the first beer they loved in college back when they other things they mostly had access to were watery crap. Or at least that seems to be the case with most of the people I know who freak the hell out about said beers.

Ah ha!  A pretty good comprehensive list of the brands owned by Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors.

Ha, finally had a chance to read the whole list. I should have guessed about Leinenkugel—I can't believe no one has mentioned them yet when talking about beers that suck. It's like someone mixed beer with minute maid.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #370 on: Mar 29, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »

edp, have you ever tried Dogfish's Aprihop? It's like everything MH #9 pretends/wants to be, but isn't, including really good.

I think Yuengling would be a contender for that title too, just different geographical area. People get really attached their regionally exclusive mediocre beers that was the first beer they loved in college back when they other things they mostly had access to were watery crap. Or at least that seems to be the case with most of the people I know who freak the hell out about said beers.

Point the first: No, actually! Which is surprising, come to think of it. Maybe I was subconsciously averse to it due to the utter shittiness of the No. 9? I know I've seen it before.

Point the second: Absolutely, QFT, right you are, etc. I was going to mention Yuengling--I used to actually bring sixers of it back to Ohio by request of my dudes when I came home to visit. Poor, benighted Ohioans!

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #371 on: Mar 29, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »

It's funny, now that I think about it: I haven't bought beer in almost a week. I've been drinking homebrew almost exclusively. Homebrew and cocktails.

I'm having one of my dry stouts right now, in fact. Very dry, medium-bodied, starts with a sweet bit of lactic flavor and progresses to be full of roasted barley & coffee, so deep and bitter on the finish as to be almost savory, if that makes sense. Feel like this would be really good with cake, or possibly even with a scoop of Velvet vanilla ice cream--I typically don't go for those kinds of flavor pairings, but this is so roasty and dry it makes sense. It's also pleasantly lively on the tongue. Basically no head, though--it's only about 3 weeks in the bottle, but I still think I should've done a protein rest or something. Even the carapils didn't do much for head retention.

think 'on the road.'
fishjim

« Reply #372 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »

Back to the list - Boddington's is Anheuser-Busch?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #373 on: Mar 29, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »

Flying Dog:
The beers that they're choosing to mass produce are pretty average.  The Raging Bitch is delicious though.  Also they have a great double IPA and some other really interesting small batches at their brewery.

Magic Hat is the WORST

Fat Tire is a too-sweet brown ale.  I'd take a newcastle over that shit any day.  Interestingly enough, most of New Belgium's other beers are actually pretty decent.  In my hometown every grocery store sells Fat Tire and many bars sell it on tap.  I never got it because there are so many other great local options that are X10000 better.

Boddington's

Boddingtons is a below average ale that is only popular because of its nifty nitro widget

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
ellaguru

« Reply #374 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:01:10 PM »

Boddington's

Boddingtons is a below average ale that is only popular because of its nifty nitro widget

I was thinking about this earlier today, and thinking about how I used to like it pretty well maybe a bit over a decade ago and really haven't since all that much. And then I wondered how long Anheuser-Busch has owned them. I mean, it's equally possible that I just have better taste now, I dunno.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: You kids sure have strange ideas about drinking alcohol
Jump to: