Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 06:25:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 85 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Snoooooooker  (Read 7395 times)
Johnp

« Reply #25 on: Apr 18, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »

Oh yes! The Whirlwind. Actually, don't get me started on Jimmy or I might cry. Perhaps another day though.

Agreed. I think all the Whirlwind youtube clips have at least one "Always the bridesmaid..." comment.

Nos vertus ne sont, le plus souvent, que des vices déguisés.
Nick Ink

« Reply #26 on: Apr 18, 2011, 05:57:59 PM »

Oh yes! The Whirlwind. Actually, don't get me started on Jimmy or I might cry. Perhaps another day though.

Agreed. I think all the Whirlwind youtube clips have at least one "Always the bridesmaid..." comment.

Six World Championship finals, six defeats, the last finishing 18-17 to his nemesis, Hendry. Utter despair all round, and where once a future as the game's undisputed 'People's Champion' beckoned, now there was only a dotage of hair implants and reality TV to look forward to.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

Got a feeling it's going all the way.

Hawkins will be all too aware though that he has gone out to 10-9 deciders in this round twice before.

After six and a half hours’ play, it’s 9-9, both players looking understandably jittery. “Playing for their careers”, one of the commentators said.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #28 on: Apr 18, 2011, 06:14:15 PM »

First blood to The Hawk - he's 40-0 up and has just split the pack nicely. I imagine his stomach is churning, but the boy's close enough if good enough now. 

Nick Ink

« Reply #29 on: Apr 18, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »

He's holding it together though - just needs two or three more reds and it's in the bag.

Nick Ink

« Reply #30 on: Apr 18, 2011, 06:19:16 PM »

Well, after looking like he couldn't score an eighth in Morrocco for the last two hours, Barry Hawkins pulls out his best and most composed break of the evening in the decider and finally breaks his first-round duck to win 10-9.

He'll play Matthew Stevens or my dark horse, Mark Allen in the next round.

Nice to see Maguire is all smiles and handshakes at the end. Mind you, we don't know what he had on his betting slip.

Ignatius

« Reply #31 on: Apr 18, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »

Man I'm kinda glad I got out of that before getting invested. I had no idea snooker matches lasted so long! That would've been my entire afternoon.
Ignatius

« Reply #32 on: Apr 18, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »

myp2p.eu has plenty of feeds listed, btw. Just look in the 'other' sports.
Nick Ink

« Reply #33 on: Apr 19, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »

Well, here we are on Day 4 and it seems to be a quieter one so far.

The Rocket wrapped things up against Dale pretty quickly earlier, winning easily 10-2. Unpredictable as ever, he was quite relaxed in the post-match interview and seems to be in a more positive frame of mind, no pun intended. Next up for Ronnie is Shaun Murphy - two former World champions, both capable of beating the very best, what a match that could be.

A couple of other first round matches in progress feature some of the fringe players at this year's tournament, but are nevertheless interesting in their own little way.Ricky Walden and Rory McLeod are tied up at 4-4 and will finish tomorrow. Neither player troubles the last 16 of tournaments very often, but Walden, with his odd crouching posture at the table, might just offer a bit more threat in his break-building.

Ricky Walden                             Peter Ebdon

Elsewhere, Stuart Bingham shaded last night's session against Peter Ebdon 5-4 and that one finishes tonight. Ebdon is a tough competitor, a real never-say-die fellow and I do like that, but one thing everyone agrees on is that he's just about the most boring player to watch in the game today. Twenty years ago, pretty much everyone bar Hurricane Higgins and Jimmy White played like that (and some were even slower - 'Steady' Eddie Charlton probably the most infamous), but in this day and age, Ebdon's methodical grind is a tad uneasy on the eye.

Ebdon's best days are almost certainly behind him though (he won the World title back in 2002), while Bingham's run to the semis of the UK Championships last year (that's really the second most important competition in the snooker calendar) saw him rise to a career-high ranking of 17, agonisingly close to the sanctuary of the Top 16 - players ranked 1-16 don't have to go through the arduous qualifying process for major competitions and are automatically seeded, it's the big aim for all pros to get in there. I've heard that he's very popular amongst the other players, and I'd personally like to see Bingham get through that match tonight.

Matthew Stevens                                Marco Fu

Tonight's other match is the first session between Mark Allen and Matthew Stevens. I reckon Allen is a future World Champion, but I also think thiis is one of the hardest draws in the first round. Stevens is another player ranked just outside the top 16, but he's fought his way back up the rankings a bit after a mid-career loss of form. He was runner-up in the World Champonship twice at the start of the last decade, and is a brilliant potter when he's on song. I think that could be an exciting match.

The last one to mention is the match between Marco Fu and Martin Gould. Fu has hit the best form of his life in the last 2 or 3 years, and although probably not a potential winner, he must be hot favourite for that one, and leads 6-3 going into tomorrow.

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2011, 02:38:07 PM by Nick Ink » Logged

Maaik

« Reply #34 on: Apr 19, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

I need anne the man lessons
Nick Ink

« Reply #35 on: Apr 19, 2011, 04:09:59 PM »

Elsewhere, Stuart Bingham shaded last night's session against Peter Ebdon 5-4 and that one finishes tonight.

Ebdon on the charge, now leads 7-5.

Allen and Stevens all square at 2-2

dumbfish

« Reply #36 on: Apr 19, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »

Fantastic read here, Nick. I have no clue whether you're reporting or fabricating, and I don't care.
Please please tell me Trump and his haircut have lost.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Antero

« Reply #37 on: Apr 19, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »

I have no clue whether you're reporting or fabricating, and I don't care.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Johnp

« Reply #38 on: Apr 19, 2011, 07:30:01 PM »

Ebdon on the charge

Contradiction in terms, surely!

(Kinda reminds me of an old Everett True review of Codeine, something along the lines of "when you meet them, you expect them to be walking in slow-motion").

Nick Ink

« Reply #39 on: Apr 20, 2011, 01:39:39 AM »

Fantastic read here, Nick. I have no clue whether you're reporting or fabricating, and I don't care.
Please please tell me Trump and his haircut have lost.

Thanks!

Judd Trump (who, to endear him to you further, walks into the arena to the introduction 'Judd "Haircut 100" Trump') is the talking point of the tournament at the moment and people are whispering in corners about the possibility of the youn'un going all the way. Looks like Marco Fu is his likely opponent in the next round though, so that'll be a test. Marco is a good top 8 player and is looking sharp this week.

Ebdon on the charge

Contradiction in terms, surely!

(Kinda reminds me of an old Everett True review of Codeine, something along the lines of "when you meet them, you expect them to be walking in slow-motion").

Indeed. I couldn't manage to stay up until whatever ungodly hour that one finished last night, but you all need to know that Peter 'Slomo' Ebdon is OUT. OUT, I tell ya!

Peter was overhauled again by Bingham, until Lady Luck basically spat full in his face at 9-8 down when he got a "heavy contact" on a crucial black off the spot (i.e. a speck of chalk dust on the table/ball threw his shot off line through no fault of his iown - "kicks are the scourge of our game", 6-times World champion, Steve Davis noted ruefully in the commentary). Ebdon sat down never to rise again, and Bing is through to face the surely superior Ding Jun Hui.

So, a quyick round-up of the first round results so far:

Stuart Bingham (Eng) 10-8 Peter Ebdon (Eng)

Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng) 10-2 Dominic Dale (Wal)

Stephen Hendry (Sco) 10-9 Joe Perry (Eng)

Stephen Maguire (Sco) 9-10 Barry Hawkins (Eng)

Ding Junhui (Chn) 10-2 Jamie Burnett (Sco)

Mark Williams (Wal) 10-5 Ryan Day (Wal)

Ali Carter (Eng) 10-3 Dave Harold (Eng)

Shaun Murphy (Eng) 10-1 Marcus Campbell (Scot)

Jamie Cope (Eng) 10-7 Andrew Pagett (Wal)

Neil Robertson (Aus) 8-10 Judd Trump (Eng)

Tonight, that match between Mark Allen and Matthew Stevens (as tight as I predicted at the moment, with Allen just leading 5-4) plays to a finish, and the controversial World No.1, John Higgins makes his first appearance.

Nick Ink

« Reply #40 on: Apr 20, 2011, 06:56:32 AM »

Quick bulletin from work:

Bespectacled bore, Martin Gould has unexpectedly taken charge against Hong Kong's more naturally talented Marco Fu this morning, and leads 7-6 as they near the end of that match.

Snooker's only black, muslim ex-pub landlord, Rory McLeod, along with his opponent Ricky Walden didn't even have time to complete their allocated frames yesterday such was the sluggish pace of proceedings. And they look intent on slugging along for the duration today - 5-5 latest.

Nick Ink

« Reply #41 on: Apr 20, 2011, 05:30:22 PM »

Well, Rory McLeod eventually ground out the result in that borathon - Walden was rather ungracious in defeat, it has to be said, complaining publicly about his opponent's slow pace.

Marco Fu just wasn't right today, for some reason. Odd shot selection and a handful of bizarre errors contributed to his downfall, and that might just open up that section of the draw for young Judd Trump.

The big match tonight is Matthew Stevens and Mark Allen though. It looked for all the world like the former runner-up was going to get thorugh when he forced his way to a 9-6 lead earlier on, but a little bit of choker's disease and a little bit of Mark Allen's resillience has brought it back to 9-8 and game on. The atmosphere in the last frame, which Allen eventually took right on the final black, was electric.

Nick Ink

« Reply #42 on: Apr 20, 2011, 05:55:39 PM »

An error-strewn eighteenth finally goes to the Englishman (edit: er, sorry, he's from Northern Ireland) when Matthew Stevens misses one too many pots. 9-9 and a late-night decider in the offing. Man, they made hard work of that though.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 01:27:39 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

Nick Ink

« Reply #43 on: Apr 20, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »

Incredible! Despite missing lots of chances when in amongst the balls himself, Allen somehow takes the last 4 frames to steal the match, and with his eight year-old daughter, Lauren watching from the front row.... You have to feel sorry for the Welshman - he choked with the winning line in sight and it'll take him a while to get over that one.

Mark Allen will now play Barry Hawkins in a Best Of 25 second round match. He played poorly today, but could he kick on from here? One of the most naturally gifted young players around, so he should have a chance now.

Mark Selby

On the other table tonight, second favourite for the title, the talented and hungry Mark Selby has made mincemeat of newcomer, Jimmy Robertson - the lowest ranked player at the finals - Robbo has had his chances, but it's 8-1 overnight.

Nick Ink

« Reply #44 on: Apr 25, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »

My predictions for the QFs are:

Judd Trump V Ali Carter
Ding Junhui V Mark Selby
Mark Williams V Mark Allen
Ronnie O'Sullivan V John Higgins

Well, very close but no cigarillo - Ali Carter got edged out 13-11 in the second round, so it's as above but with Graeme Dott playing young Trumpers in that top match.

Ding Jun Hui just came back from 12-9 to win the last 4 and take a dramatic 13-12 victory over Stuart Bingham.

Johnp

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2011, 06:20:44 PM »

Judd Trump is the talking point of the tournament at the moment and people are whispering in corners about the possibility of the youn'un going all the way.

Simmering nicely. The Higgins/Williams semi had some great frames, but Trump looks like he'll do it on today's form, if he can maintain the fearlessness.

No compensation for the Hammers result, granted...

dumbfish

« Reply #46 on: Aug 19, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »

Hey, what ended up happening here? Did the guy with the irritating hair win or not?

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Nick Ink

« Reply #47 on: Aug 19, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »

Hey, what ended up happening here? Did the guy with the irritating hair win or not?

No, he gave it a good go and garnered plaudits and praise for his debonnaire, swashbuckling brand of fearless, all-out attacking 'nooker, but in the end Judd Trump lost out 18-15 to John Higgins, though he made a lot of friends in the process.

Since then, he's been bubbling along quite well, most recently beating Ding to win a Tour competition in China.

Nick Ink

« Reply #48 on: Apr 16, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »

Okay everyone. I know we've all been mucking about for a year with these other threads by way of distraction, but I'm delighted to say that this Saturday the Snooker World Championships, and two weeks of kisses, cushions, screws and balls, begin once more in Sheffield.

I will try to provide a fuller analysis in the coming days, but to begin with, here's the first round draw with some minimal annotation. The players on the left are seeded 1-16, and those on the right (who include in Hendry, Ebdon and Doherty three forrmer champions no less) just this week emerged from a gruelling qualification process.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Higgins v Liang Wenbo (tough, tough draws for the 3 Chinese qualifiers against reigning champion Higgins, Williams and Allen!)
Stuart Bingham v Stephen Hendry (...but a kinder one for Hendry, making his 27th appearance at the finals - a Hendry V Higgins second round match would be interesting)
Graeme Dott v Joe Perry (this quarter final berth looks wide open, I think - could spring a dark horse. Dott is solid and occasionally unplayable, Gentleman Joe something of an under-achiever)
Stephen Maguire v Luca Brecel (everyone's talking about the Belgian Brecel, who at 17 and a few days is the youngest ever player in the competition, and it's a nice draw for the teenager! Maguire is high profile, but a bit of a twitcher when the spotlight's on him)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shaun Murphy v Jamie Jones (Baby Bird Murphy looks to have a clear run to the quarters here, and debutant Jones will do well to stay in this match)
Stephen Lee v Andrew Higginson (Lee's form has been patchy for ages - these two should be canon fodder)
Ali Carter v Mark Davis (with the talented Carter, so much depends on his mental well-being - Davis  ranked quite low, but could cause an upset after qualifying so well)
Judd Trump v Dominic Dale (last year's glorious failure and this year's bookies' favourite looks nailed on against likeable loon, Dale - must be a Murphy V Trump quarter-final)
Mark Williams v Liu Chuang (Williams strong fave of course, but the first round with its comparatively shorter Best Of 19 matches might be where he's vulnerable to loss of concentration)
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Peter Ebdon (Ebdon has just won the China Open, and thrashed Alfie Burden 10-0 in the qualifiers - he's the one the seeds wanted to avoid! Ronnie is lightly-raced and notoriously irritated by Ebdon's super-slow style, but I think the Rocket has something to prove this year, and will get through. Ronnie is also Williams' bogey-player, and that would be a great second round match!)
Martin Gould v David Gilbert (these two must be quivering with fear looking at this quarter of the draw - FIVE former world champions!!. Dead men cueing.)
Neil Robertson v Ken Doherty (a plum reward for Ken after his dramatic 10-9 qualifier! And a good test for highly-fancied Aussie, Robertson, whose route to the final looks very tricky indeed this year)
Ding Junhui v Ryan Day (an all-China second round match is possible if unlikely, even an all-China quarter final. Ding carries so much pressure on his shoulders and always seems a bit burdened here. Undoubtedly the best of the Chinese though, and one of the best in the world - would love to see him win the whole thing)
Mark Allen v Cao Yupeng (Mark Allen has become Mr.Controversy - I wonder what he'll do this year. Apart from beat Cao Yupeng, that is. A lively outsider for the final, but in the harder half of the draw with so many big guns in Selby, Ding, Ronnie, Robertson and Williams)
Matthew Stevens v Marco Fu (don't fancy these two much but interesting to see Matthew Stevens back in the top 16 after many years in the wilderness)
Mark Selby v Barry Hawkins (Selby has a very kind draw to a quarter final against Ding or Allen, I'd say - a big chance for the Jester from Leicester this year)

Last year's winner, John Higgins

Bookies' odds:
Trump  5/1
Ronnie 13/2
Selby 8/1
Robertson 8/1
Higgins 10/1
Ding 10/1
Allen 14/1
Maguire 14/1
Murphy 16/1
Williams 18/1
Lee 25/1
Dott 40/1
Ebdon 50/1
Stevens 80/1
Carter 80/1
Gould 80/1
Fu 80/1
Bingham 80/1
Hendry 80/1
100/1 Bar

edit: edited because some idiot misremembered who won it last year.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2012, 01:52:56 PM by Nick Ink » Logged

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #49 on: Apr 16, 2012, 02:16:33 PM »

hooray! best thread returns

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Snoooooooker
Jump to: