Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 25, 2014, 02:10:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657253 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 57 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: What new music did you buy today.  (Read 31485 times)
monkeypants

« Reply #100 on: Jul 04, 2011, 05:51:14 PM »

Hey, did I somehow miss the new Algernon at the merch table at the show I was at just two weeks ago?!  They certainly didn't mention it from the stage, nor do I see it mentioned currently at their myspace or blog sites.  You'd think these dudes were trying to bury their own damn record.   I'd buy a copy if I could only FIND THE FUCKING THING!  Sheesh.

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #101 on: Jul 04, 2011, 10:52:54 PM »

According to this entry on their blog, they were selling it at the show you saw. Like I said, though, it is CD only at the moment, so maybe that's why you didn't notice it. They don't appear to have it available for mailorder right now, which sorta makes sense since they pressed it themselves, though you'd expect that they'd be able to set up a way to receive orders that they would just fill at the end of tour. Maybe they're afraid they'll sell too many copies on tour and be unable to fill the orders they'll get? Who knows. Anyway, you can download it for free all over the place--it's too bad it's way easier to do that than actually buy it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #102 on: Jul 07, 2011, 07:52:39 AM »

Arrived in the mail today:

Pink Reason - Shit in the Garden LP
Hatefuck - Rock 'n Roll Letdown 7"

How you liking The Pink Reason Jeb? It's quickly crawled under my skin. Great stuff.
I've not heard the Hatefuck 7" though I've seen it around. Kevin's old hardcore band or something right?

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
reebty

« Reply #103 on: Jul 07, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2011, 11:39:47 PM by reebty » Logged
reebty

« Reply #104 on: Jul 08, 2011, 04:40:55 AM »

cold before sunrise

« Reply #105 on: Jul 08, 2011, 05:25:27 AM »

fucked up are amazing, i want that album. the lead singer singled me out when i saw them play last year but it really did get my attention having him jump off stage to spit-spray beer in my face and pinch my cheeks, then again to give me a kiss and then drop to the ground to silently pray on his back. in his underwear. i'm pretty sure the rumour is true that his band mates are scared of him.

not today but most recently:

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
Killdozersnakeboy

« Reply #106 on: Jul 08, 2011, 05:58:43 AM »

I don't own nor have I ever really heard Fucked Up. It often occurs to me that's kinda ridiculous.

That Actress album is great.

"It's more easier to do it if you done it than what it is to explain it. Your middle part is all you move. There's a lot of 'em that does and no good about it"
cold before sunrise

« Reply #107 on: Jul 08, 2011, 06:22:17 AM »

yes and yes. you know, i was only excited to see that show because i had them confused with holy fuck but as it turns out they're both killer.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
jebreject

« Reply #108 on: Jul 08, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »

Arrived in the mail today:

Pink Reason - Shit in the Garden LP
Hatefuck - Rock 'n Roll Letdown 7"

How you liking The Pink Reason Jeb? It's quickly crawled under my skin. Great stuff.
I've not heard the Hatefuck 7" though I've seen it around. Kevin's old hardcore band or something right?

I haven't spent enough time with it, even though I've had a digital copy for like four months. It's not really doing it for me the same way the first album did, but there are a few tracks that are really, really good. It's a little too optimistic-sounding for me so far, though.

HF is indeed (one of) Kevin's old hardcore band(s). I haven't actually listened to this record yet, because my turntable took a shit, but I've heard most of this stuff before.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Maaik

« Reply #109 on: Jul 09, 2011, 12:57:26 AM »

Finally got D Plan's Emergency & I on vinyl (damn this thing is pretty) and a 2-disc Motorhead compilation for eight bucks.

Also: forgot that I'd bought both Icky Mettle and White Trash Heroes a few weeks back and stuck 'em in my bookbag.  Found 'em today.  It was like a surprise gift from myself!

I need anne the man lessons
reebty

« Reply #110 on: Jul 11, 2011, 02:26:03 AM »

sashwap

« Reply #111 on: Jul 13, 2011, 08:59:07 AM »

very good album! sometimes i feel like i'm the only one who loves it, though
reebty

« Reply #112 on: Jul 14, 2011, 03:14:54 AM »

First five Dr. John albums minus Remedies for $20. Gee, let me think about that.
davy

« Reply #113 on: Jul 14, 2011, 09:00:08 AM »

First five Dr. John albums minus Remedies for $20. Gee, let me think about that.

Hell yeah! Destively Bonnaroo and City Lights are good too, if you still ain't had enough.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #114 on: Jul 15, 2011, 04:41:54 PM »

i was at a good record store in asheville NC recently, so i picked up some albums for the first time in a pretty long while

belle and sebastian - push barman to open old wounds
the smiths - strangeways here i come
the mountain goats - all eternals deck

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #115 on: Jul 19, 2011, 08:28:38 AM »

Yesss, I got the new richard youngs album

listening now, so far lots of airy moaning and bendy guitar notes.

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
RavingLunatic

« Reply #116 on: Jul 22, 2011, 12:11:46 PM »

Pre-ordered the new Richard Buckner, Our Blood, yesterday.

It comes out first week of August I think. I may get an album art poster along with the CD, which would be rad. There are really only three artists whose stuff I would pre-order without first listening to it: Elephant Micah, J. Tillman, and Buckner. Dude is so amazing, and his stuff seems to get better and better every time I hear it. I ran across some Buckner covers and compilation tracks I'd never heard before recently, and if anybody's interested, I've already created links for them. Here's one of them, I think from a tribute album to Tom T. Hall (who I've never heard of):

Richard Buckner - Rarities 1994-2009 - 09 When Love Is Gone (Tom T. Hall Cover)

I will meditate and then destroy you!
davy

« Reply #117 on: Jul 23, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »

Hey, I bought some records yesterday! It was fun! L & Finn & I were walking back to my car from the restaurant and popped into Wuxtry Records as we passed by. Picked up a couple records I already had on mp3:

Phosphorescent - Here’s to Taking It Easy (gorgeous vinyl)  /  David Kilgour - Left by Soft

And actually took a risk, which I *never* do anymore. On turntable yesterday, I’d heard this this track “Home” by a band called Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros. I really loved it but everyone in the room was talking about how overplayed it was, which baffled me of course, since I’d never even heard of the band before. But poking around in the record store yesterday, there was the album, right there in a shoebox on the counter.

Man! It was such a thrill to make that impulse purchase! The digital era has really made it difficult to experience that sort of record shopping these days, but it was so much fun (“Is this going to suck? Maybe! Let’s find out!”) that I think I’m going to make a concerted effort to surprise myself more often.

Here’s the record in question (and hey! I’m halfway through so far and it *is* good! Woo! I did recognize one song from a car commercial, so I feel a little guilty for liking it but whatevs.)

Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros - Up from Below

davy

« Reply #118 on: Jul 26, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »

The 40 Watt Club hosted a record swap on Saturday. I didn't have much time to browse--went down there on my lunch break--but I looked through enough records to find 3 worth taking home (all on vinyl):

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
Harry Nilsson - Aerial Pandemonium Ballet

I spent $18, I think.

sashwap

« Reply #119 on: Jul 26, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »

Nick Ink

« Reply #120 on: Jul 27, 2011, 02:04:37 AM »

That Boston Spaceships cover! That is the ugliest thing I've seen for a long time. And as for 'Let It Beard', well they're hardly in ZZ Top  territory there either. The bloke on the right simply hasn't shaved for 2 or 3 days.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Ignatius

« Reply #121 on: Jul 27, 2011, 02:51:51 AM »

Nick Ink! Give in to your anger.
sashwap

« Reply #122 on: Jul 27, 2011, 09:00:20 AM »

The bloke on the right simply hasn't shaved for 2 or 3 days.

yeah, that's pollard. apparently he was ordered to grow a beard for the cover, but it got too itchy for him, so he had his wife take this picture and then shaved immediately after.

it IS an ugly cover.

Very Happy
Maaik

« Reply #123 on: Jul 27, 2011, 09:29:52 AM »

Brother Hawk - Love Songs

I know I gotta sound like a broken record on this, but YOU GUYS. This is crazy good. Hard to believe it was recorded in the same basement as Mice in Cars' last EP.  Oh, and they got the singer's dad to throw some harmonica down for it.  Do a thing, don't make me beg ya.

I need anne the man lessons
Antero

« Reply #124 on: Jul 29, 2011, 06:44:47 AM »

That's a purdy cover there.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: What new music did you buy today.
Jump to: