Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 17, 2014, 08:20:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657238 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 82 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: A Dance With Dragons (contains spoilers)  (Read 4075 times)
davy

« Reply #50 on: Jul 29, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »

By the way, I'm still moving slowly & happily along. Really enjoying the emphasis on geography in this one -- having a lot of fun exploring Rhoyne country through Tyrion's eyes. I love having a completely new setting!

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #51 on: Aug 02, 2011, 07:57:30 PM »

I think this was the worst book of the series.  Way, way bloated; there is absolutely no reason this couldn't have been edited down and combined with FFC.  It takes the plotlines 950 pages to reach the places they should've been at in about 350. 

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
milly balgeary

« Reply #52 on: Aug 02, 2011, 08:00:57 PM »

In retrospect, I agree with you. It's paled considerable for me over time, and the scenes involving dani are tiresome.

dieblucasdie

« Reply #53 on: Aug 02, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »

Yeah, those were especially tiresome, and the Tyrion and Jon plot lines were almost as bad.  The parts I did really enjoy were the Reek/Bolton/Winterfell chapters, and the Davos/White Harbor stuff (which, WTF, he left Davos and Bran hanging like halfway through the book and never returned to them).

I was especially annoyed with how we got like 4 chapters of "Should Dany bone this random sellsword you don't care about or not?"  Then she just, like, bones him.  And then there's no repercussions or impact on the plot or anything.  Why did we spend so much time on that?

davy

« Reply #54 on: Aug 02, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »

Fucking hell. I clicked on this thread by mistake and automatically read the last few entries before I could stop myself.

Screw you guys, etc.

I'm really enjoying myself. Even the slow sections are delicious. Maybe you chodes read it too fast.

milly balgeary

« Reply #55 on: Aug 02, 2011, 08:31:45 PM »

Yeah, those were especially tiresome, and the Tyrion and Jon plot lines were almost as bad.  The parts I did really enjoy were the Reek/Bolton/Winterfell chapters, and the Davos/White Harbor stuff (which, WTF, he left Davos and Bran hanging like halfway through the book and never returned to them).

I was especially annoyed with how we got like 4 chapters of "Should Dany bone this random sellsword you don't care about or not?"  Then she just, like, bones him.  And then there's no repercussions or impact on the plot or anything.  Why did we spend so much time on that?

Yeah man. 100 percent agree. Not too excited about volume 6

Thermofusion

« Reply #56 on: Aug 02, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »

I'm reading Fevre Dream, my first RR book. It's OK. He reminds me of Stephen King.

triple paisley minimum
dieblucasdie

« Reply #57 on: Aug 02, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »

Fucking hell. I clicked on this thread by mistake and automatically read the last few entries before I could stop myself.

Screw you guys, etc.

I'm really enjoying myself. Even the slow sections are delicious. Maybe you chodes read it too fast.

I don't mind slow sections if they serve some end, but, man, "Dany learns that ruling is hard."  "Jon learns that... ruling is hard." "Tyrion... is around."  We could've gotten there just as effectively with one or two chapters from each of them, and the narrative would've been much, much strong for it.

And we aren't even done with Mereen yet!  BITCH GO TO WESTEROS ALREADY

I did enjoy those early Rhone valley Tyrion chapters, but once he splits with the Golden Company his chapters are hella pointless.  

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2011, 11:27:51 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

elpollodiablo

« Reply #58 on: Aug 04, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »

I think this was the worst book of the series.  Way, way bloated; there is absolutely no reason this couldn't have been edited down and combined with FFC.  It takes the plotlines 950 pages to reach the places they should've been at in about 350. 

I'm inclined to agree, after only about 200pp of it. Like why in the fuck did I need to get Jon's perspective on a bunch of stuff that was already related to me fully in Sam's chapters in Feast?

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #59 on: Aug 04, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »

"Tyrion... is around."  
lolz

I almost skipped a Tyrion chapter in the car last night because it was him discussing mythology with the Golden Company guys--just interminable lists of names that have no bearing on anything. A thing I am still excited for, though: the Reek chapters.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #60 on: Aug 04, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »

Well, you DO learn the point of that in the next Tyrion chapter (a reveal that I felt was kinda mishandled, but we can talk about that when you get there).  But yeah, they could've gotten to it in THAT chapter.

And yeah, a LOT of Tyrion's chapters are just about him being somewhere to witness an important plot point, and/or conversing with other characters who don't have POV chapters, so they can tell you their motivations.  He really does not have much to do in this one.  

But yes, the Reek/Bolton stuff is killer, and that plot line only continues to get weirder and creepier and more suspenseful.

Part of why all this is so frustrating is because a well-edited single book from the stuff in FFC and ADWD woulda been, like, the BEST book in the series.
« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2011, 12:09:45 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

dieblucasdie

« Reply #61 on: Aug 10, 2011, 11:08:21 AM »

ha, did you guys see they cast Dotrice as that head pyromancer guy from Clash of Kings?

dieblucasdie

« Reply #62 on: Aug 26, 2011, 09:46:28 AM »

Hey, are you dicks done with this yet?  I've made my feelings on its quality clear, but I would still like to talk plot/speculation at some point.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #63 on: Aug 26, 2011, 10:42:26 AM »

I'll be with you in about two months at my current rate. I pretty much stopped reading it entirely, and just listen to 15-20 min of it in the evening as I'm falling asleep, or in the car when really bored. It's at the point where only the Theon/Reek chapters really grab my interest. The shit in Mereen is just excruciating; I don't know who half of these people are because I never bothered to really pay attention. It hasn't affected my comprehension much, honestly. There's Selmy and the hot Storm Crows dude and then there's a bunch of whining bitches who hang around and contribute to the general dithering.

think 'on the road.'
davy

« Reply #64 on: Aug 26, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »

I'm enjoying it, but moving VERY slowly. I just haven't had the TIME to dig in my heels and drill through the fucker.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #65 on: Aug 26, 2011, 10:53:05 AM »

Also I wanna start keeping a running list of the pat phrases I'm completely sick of hearing.

-Too clever by half
-He/she was not wrong
-Half a heartbeat

I know there are like at least half a dozen others but can't recall em at the moment.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #66 on: Aug 26, 2011, 10:55:03 AM »

I noticed he has copped the classic Star Wars "bad feeling about this" line on several occasions too.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
davy

« Reply #67 on: Aug 26, 2011, 11:04:15 AM »

Haha, "too clever by half" certainly does come up a lot.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #68 on: Aug 26, 2011, 11:06:30 AM »

Heartbeats would seem to be the basic unit of time in Westeros.  

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #69 on: Aug 26, 2011, 11:12:20 AM »

The Mereen stuff does kinda pick up at the end.  Not in a way that pays off all those boring Dany chapters at all, but it does pick up.  The Tyrion stuff goes basically nowhere.  The Wall stuff gets super-awesome, in, you know, the last Jon chapter.  The Theon/Reek stuff continues to be awesome.  Frustratingly, he never goes back to Bran or Davos in the last third of the book.  There's some kinda-interesting stuff with Melisandre and Victarion, but who the fuck cares about Melisandre or Victarion.  There's one fucking weird, brutal Cersei chapter that I think Martin wrote entirely because he wants to see Lena Headey naked.

In terms of who's who in Mereen, all you need to remember is that "The Shavepate" is the guy who runs the Brazen Beasts special police thingie that Dany set up (i.e. the freedmen in the animal masks) to combat the Sons of the Harpy.  And even that is not that important.  Otherwise they're all pretty much interchangeable.  

I feel like he referred explicitly to "the game of thrones" more times in ADWD than in the rest of the series combined.

You guys should finish so we can talk about who will be Azor Ahai reborn.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2011, 11:14:56 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

elpollodiablo

« Reply #70 on: Aug 26, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »

Oh fuck yeah that one too.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #71 on: Aug 26, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »

And re: "half a heartbeat" and "too clever by half," it seems like he also just employs "half" all the time.  "He was never half so terrified" etc etc

davy

« Reply #72 on: Aug 26, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »

Half-man, halfling, etc.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #73 on: Aug 26, 2011, 03:27:56 PM »

Mummer's farce

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #74 on: Aug 26, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »

cruel jape

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: A Dance With Dragons (contains spoilers)
Jump to: