Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 19, 2014, 07:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657246 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 81 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Aromatherapy raviolis: the new FOOD thread  (Read 16059 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #275 on: Oct 26, 2011, 03:31:55 PM »

Nah, the friggin' grocery store. Needed ginger root and cinnamon sticks for brewing purposes.

think 'on the road.'
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #276 on: Oct 26, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »

Doesn't help when you want something right away (though since there's a location about a mile from my office I'm gold) but check out The Spice House too

Grocery stores do seem to be proud as fuck of their spices sometimes

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
El_Josharino

« Reply #277 on: Oct 26, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »

This:
Holy shit that post makes my fat ache.
And this:
Oh god I would eat the fuck out of that
both go for me too. Oh man.

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #278 on: Oct 26, 2011, 03:58:21 PM »

I think I need a nap

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #279 on: Oct 26, 2011, 04:02:40 PM »

also earlier today a coworker brought in owl cupcakes

Thermofusion

« Reply #280 on: Oct 26, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »

With all the owls clumped together like that, it kinda looks like one of those thousand-eyed Lovecraft monsters

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #281 on: Oct 26, 2011, 04:17:27 PM »

Absolutely

think 'on the road.'
RoyBiggins

« Reply #282 on: Oct 27, 2011, 07:17:24 PM »

I gotta rep hard for Spice House, too--over penzey's even, I'd say, though that's based mostly off of how much I love Spice House and shopping between the two websites..  Doing their mailorder is easy and still TONNNNNS cheaper than the grocery store shit. And even more fresh.

Last night I braised some pork butt in soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, vinegar, ginger and garlic.  It smells SO good righ tnow.  And I just scraped off the rendered fat, and it smells JUST LIKE THAT.

I'm going to stir fry vegetables in that later. man.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #283 on: Oct 27, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »

claire: pumpkin seeds! what a great idea! as soon as halloween is over the stores give away or toss out what's left of their stock so i'm always looking for new things to make with pumpkins this time of year. it's gotten to the point where i do the majority of my shopping at the farmers market, with events like this and baking supply runs being the odd exception. (not ready to give up exotic fruit and avocados either... there's no need to ruin something good by being a total nazi about it, right?)

spice house reps: thank you. one less reason to support corporate grocers! viva la revolucion.

thawing cod tongues to make fish and chips with tomorrow. any advice on this? they are looking incredibly unappealing... figure i will cook those for the easterner amongst us and make fresh mango chicken wraps and walnut shortbread for those i'm staying with who weren't raised on bottled fish and strange sea-life parts. 

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
clare

« Reply #284 on: Oct 28, 2011, 06:22:24 PM »

wow, I read cbs's post assuming that it was cod cut into tongue-shaped pieces...shoulda googled i guess.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #285 on: Oct 29, 2011, 02:07:19 PM »

I made some black beans and andouille sausage last night, sort of aping something I ate a few weeks ago.  But the consistency didn't turn out quite the way I thought it would--it's pretty once it hits the rice.  What i had a while ago was pretty liquidy, albiet thick.

So the riddle is: how do I get it to be wet, but not TOO wet, and nice and thick?

So far, my hunch is that I should maybe have pureed some of the black beans?  I dunno. I guess I could do that ex post facto.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
DCDave

« Reply #286 on: Oct 29, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »

Reduce?

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
cold before sunrise

« Reply #287 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:20:07 AM »

you've got to cook beans for ages to get them right.

so yeah, i deep fried the tongues and they were great. delicate bites of crunchy fish with soft middles that only needed fresh french fries with a little salt and malt vinegar for a perfect little to-go meal. i'm making them again tomorrow. also gave a new recipe for sandwich cookies a shot but won't share it because they didn't really turn out. the sugar cookies came out delicious, i love using fresh vanilla pods, but were pretty much like rocks and the raspberry/white chocolate filling was way soft. ended up breaking the cookies into quarters and dipping the pieces in filling instead - not a total flop but hardly what i'd call a beaming success either.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
clare

« Reply #288 on: Nov 01, 2011, 07:24:13 AM »

The bloke always cooks beans in the pressure cooker. Black beans will go thick and gloopy (as will cannellini beans) after about 40 mins at pressure, otherwise you really need to cook them for hours. You really can't rush them by pureeing, only by pressure cooking. Slow cooker might work too, though I'm not sure about that...

clare

« Reply #289 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:11:41 PM »

Wow, I think I finally get peanut butter as a sandwich filling.

The_Tourist

« Reply #290 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:55:18 PM »

does anyone here dumpster? in the past couple months, with the exception of alcohol, i think i've bought about 2 things from the grocery store.

we got so much food last night we had to call friends to come take some of it off our hands.

we have the money for missiles and fun
mixed cats

« Reply #291 on: Nov 01, 2011, 10:42:52 PM »

Dammit Martha, it is nearly impossible to gently fold beaten egg whites into really thick cake batter. What are your people thinking?

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
dieblucasdie

« Reply #292 on: Nov 01, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »

does anyone here dumpster? in the past couple months, with the exception of alcohol, i think i've bought about 2 things from the grocery store.

we got so much food last night we had to call friends to come take some of it off our hands.

While I applaud the fact that you're developing skills that will be necessary in the coming post-apocalypse, I think I'll eat food that does not come from a garbage can for as long as that remains an option.

I mean, I been broke, man, but, shit, I'll mail you four quarters for a McChicken
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2011, 10:48:13 PM by dieblucasdie » Logged

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #293 on: Nov 01, 2011, 10:53:28 PM »

If you can afford the means to post on this forum, you can afford to no eat out the garbage*

*I used to be a garbage man!  Trust me.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
jm

« Reply #294 on: Nov 01, 2011, 11:03:11 PM »

what if he's posting from a library

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
jm

« Reply #295 on: Nov 01, 2011, 11:04:30 PM »

or a dumpster with wifi

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
The_Tourist

« Reply #296 on: Nov 01, 2011, 11:45:02 PM »

i have the money to eat out every day of the week, but i can also eat manicotti and fancy ass cheese for dinner and a curry stir fry for lunch and pay nothing for it while doing a little bit to reduce waste like i did today.

i'm sure most people picture half eaten, rotting sandwiches from a trash can, but the results look more like this (although this is a pretty small haul)...

but i wish i had a dumpster with wifi.

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2011, 11:59:38 PM by The_Tourist » Logged

we have the money for missiles and fun
Bernard

« Reply #297 on: Nov 01, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »

Nice haul! I don't DD myself, too chicken about getting cheesed by the fuzz.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
dieblucasdie

« Reply #298 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:33:48 AM »

I get my food from a reputable local grocer

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
peacocks

« Reply #299 on: Nov 02, 2011, 12:46:02 AM »

it would be cool if grocery stores put their leftover food in some kind of neat box for people to take instead of a dirty ol' dumpster. I'm sure there are laws about giving the food that has passed expiration away but maybe not in terms of produce and baked goods? I worked at a reputable chain bakery known as panera for a short time and we always gave our old bread and whatever pastries were leftover to homeless shelters and food not bombs. That felt nice.

dick-check your priviledge
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Aromatherapy raviolis: the new FOOD thread
Jump to: