Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 17, 2014, 08:36:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657232 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 78 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: REM done  (Read 4659 times)
reebty

« Reply #25 on: Sep 22, 2011, 12:40:39 PM »

I've never been that into Automatic for the People. Just my luck that it starts with my favourite REM song.
Nick Ink

« Reply #26 on: Sep 22, 2011, 12:42:51 PM »

It is sad though. I bought Fables in the week it came out and instantly got the first two when I realised how great they were. REM were pretty much the top dogs as far as me and my group of friends were concerned back then. It was down to them that I got into stuff like The Rain Parade, The Long Ryders, Green On Red etc. By the time Green came out, we used to badger the landlord behind the bar at our local play it constantly. I had a VCR tape of them - really arty little videos of early songs, but I lent it to a girl I liked at school (along with the Gimme Shelter video - a lost classic of C86 shambling indiepop) who left town before she remembered to return it. I saw them just once, at Wembley, but I hate big concerts, I wasn't feeling well, the damn bouncers hadn't let me get near the stage for Throwing Muses who were supporting, and the whole experience was a downer. I remember there was much more Amnesty International and Greenpeace merchandise than REM stuff on sale there. I was in Canada with my brother when I picked up Life's Rich Pageant. We played that, Bob Marley's 'Burnin'' and 'Nazz Nazz' for two weeks in a lakeside holiday home just outside Toronto. I loved that album so much. Though I like it now, and appreciate it as a really brave song to write, I was embarrassed when I first heard 'Everybody Hurts' and thought they'd turned into something pretty much opposite to what I'd originally liked about them. I don't think that now, but by then they seemed to belong to other people. Younger people. For me, REM were an an 80s band, and a brilliant one too.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #27 on: Sep 22, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »

The Guardian has a poll on people's favbourite album. Out of (limited) interest:

What's your favourite REM album?
 22.7%    Automatic for the People
 13.7%    Lifes Rich Pageant
 9.6%    New Adventures in Hi-Fi
 9.3%    Green
 8.9%    Murmur
 6.5%    Reckoning
 6.5%    Out of Time
 6.2%    Document
 5.5%    Up
 4.8%    Fables of the Reconstruction
 3.4%    Monster
 1.4%    Reveal
 0.7%    Around the Sun
 0.3%    Accelerate
 0.3%    Collapse into Now

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
ausdemfenster

« Reply #28 on: Sep 22, 2011, 04:38:12 PM »

"TIME AFTER TIME" WAS MY LEAST FAVORITE SONG

I laughed both times. I'd just listened to this song earlier in the week, so a part of my voodoo brain was convinced I had broken up R.E.M.

14 and 31. So much time spent listening to these songs.
reebty

« Reply #29 on: Sep 22, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »

It hasn't sunk in. I mean I've been aware of REM for about as long as The Simpsons has been on Australian TV. They played their first show before my sister was born. Maybe had their tenth anniversary before some people here were born. An institution like that doesn't just go away, just as The Simpsons never will. Let's see, REM breaks up and the classic GBV lineup announces a new album. It doesn't seem to bother anyone that those things are impossible. If Joe Strummer announces a Clash reunion, I called it first. 
Nick Ink

« Reply #30 on: Sep 23, 2011, 03:00:33 AM »

Bands should break up a lot more though.

fishjim

« Reply #31 on: Sep 23, 2011, 03:29:11 AM »

I marked the occasion by learning the chords for It's The End Of The World As We Know It on my uke...

I'd like to hear that.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
Nick Ink

« Reply #32 on: Sep 23, 2011, 06:42:28 AM »

My brother and a couple of mates are round for poker tonight, so I'm going to stick the following into the random play mixer:

The 'REM Memorial Poker Playlist'

REM – first 11 albums
Robyn Hitchcock – Tromso, Spooked, You & Oblivion, Eye
Molina – My mixes 1-4
Bowie – Hunky Dory
Beatles – Revolver
Rain Parade – Emergency Third Rail Power Trip
Chills – Brave Words
Smiths – Hatful Of Hollow
Selected tracks (Velvets, Femmes, Green On Red, Blue Aeroplanes, Go-Betweens , Galaxie, Kristin Hersh, Razorcuts)

Edit: Just added Grant Lee Buffalo's Fuzzy album, at Brother Ink's request
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011, 07:00:04 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

clare

« Reply #33 on: Sep 23, 2011, 07:40:53 AM »

I marked the occasion by learning the chords for It's The End Of The World As We Know It on my uke...

I'd like to hear that.

I'll need to practice. I'm not very good yet :-)

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Nick Ink

« Reply #34 on: Sep 23, 2011, 07:45:43 AM »

Bowie – Hunky Dory
Grant Lee Buffalo's Fuzzy

Uh-oh! Mixtape fail alert! Just realised these artists hold conflicting positions on Julian Casablancas!!  Shocked

Nick Ink

« Reply #35 on: Sep 23, 2011, 07:46:03 AM »

I'm off work today, by the way. Can you tell?

davy

« Reply #36 on: Sep 23, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »

Athens is currently undergoing an intense identity crisis.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
milly balgeary

« Reply #37 on: Sep 24, 2011, 05:49:17 PM »

bigger ? is why is Michael Stype showing his dick on twitter?

http://stereogum.com/818001/michael-stipes-dick-nsfw-obvs/top-stories/

reebty

« Reply #38 on: Sep 24, 2011, 11:15:23 PM »

Time for the eye soap!
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2011, 11:51:25 PM by reebty » Logged
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #39 on: Sep 25, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »

Tumblr. It happened on tumblr.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
edison

« Reply #40 on: Sep 26, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »

Man, it's quite predictable given the increasing lack of discernment these guys have shown in the past few years, but the tracklisting for that final greatest hits record includes many baffling decisions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Part_Lies,_Part_Heart,_Part_Truth,_Part_Garbage_1982%E2%80%932011

Lots of nitpicking fun to be had here, but ultimately the fact that they saw fit to include, say, "Leaving New York" and "Alligator..." but not "Drive" or "World Leader Pretend", makes me kind of sad. Not that I was ever going to consider buying this thing anyway, but I don't know.
Nick Ink

« Reply #41 on: Sep 26, 2011, 03:52:49 PM »

That second disc is alarmingly heavy on the post-Berry material, isn't it? Disc 1 is pretty good, apart from Pop Song 89 though.

I'll just make my own 'Best Of REM', I think.

edison

« Reply #42 on: Sep 26, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »

Not only is it very heavy on post-Berry material, it almost entirely neglects that period's only excellent album (Up). Disc 1 was more difficult to fuck up, I think, although ending it with "Country Feedback" followed by "Shiny Happy People" is a... erm... interesting choice.
nonotyet

« Reply #43 on: Sep 26, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »

"Shiny Happy People"

AGH GOD WHY

I love REM to death but that song is on a very short list of songs that will make me physically remove myself from a room if it is playing in said room
reebty

« Reply #44 on: Sep 26, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »

That's eight collections now, five of them "hits" or "best ofs". That's too many for a band with 15 studio albums - not that they OK'd all of them.

Compare that to Neil Young: 83 billion studio albums, 600 thousand live albums, but only two greatest hits.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #45 on: Sep 26, 2011, 06:49:57 PM »

I personally would have favored "World Leader Pretend" over "Get Up" on the first disc, and "Texarkana" over "Shiny Happy People" (though in their defense, there's no fucking way their label would have let them leave that song off). Second disc is harder to understand. Where's "Drive"? Where's "E-Bow The Letter"? Where's "Daysleeper"? Are those last four songs all new?

reebty

« Reply #46 on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »

The last three I think.

Drive is my favourite REM song, so hell yeah it should be there. And OK, so most people hated Monster, but little does the band realise that most of the stuff that came after made people pine for that album. Seriously, no Crush With Eyeliner?   
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #47 on: Sep 27, 2011, 12:11:35 AM »

You're right, though the second song I'd have picked from Monster would be "Star 69."

davy

« Reply #48 on: Sep 27, 2011, 02:49:01 AM »

So, hey, Michael Stipe came to my show tonight. He got there too late to actually see my band perform, but he attended the show nevertheless. Woooo.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
fishjim

« Reply #49 on: Sep 27, 2011, 02:50:42 AM »

Did he show you his d--- aw, shit, that's too easy.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: REM done
Jump to: