Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 04:41:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 90 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: REM done  (Read 4779 times)
davy

« Reply #50 on: Sep 27, 2011, 02:51:31 AM »

Don't think I wasn't prepared for it.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
narlus

« Reply #51 on: Sep 27, 2011, 08:20:18 AM »

That's eight collections now, five of them "hits" or "best ofs". That's too many for a band with 15 studio albums - not that they OK'd all of them.

Compare that to Neil Young: 83 billion studio albums, 600 thousand live albums, but only two greatest hits.

that's a great point.

i do get the feeling that greatest hits/compilations/re-packages are really out of the artist's control a lot of times, and it's just the labels looking to feed at the trough again. but that stat about Neil shows he's got likely got veto power where others don't (like Morrissey, who despite railing against this practice via "Paint A Vulgar Picture" has loads of these dodgy releases in his discography).

and i guess one could count _Decade_ as half a greatest hits comp, giving him 2.5 Very Happy

sashwap

« Reply #52 on: Sep 27, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/pop-life/r-e-m-r-i-p-thank-you-for-running-it-into-the-ground-20110922

i really liked this article, though i scoff at the author's love of reveal Smile

still, i'm really glad r.e.m. kept at it for as long as they did. they may have stopped making great albums, but they were still making great songs right up until the end. can't wait to hear the three new tracks, though i wish they'd release them as an EP instead of tacked on to a best-of. their career started with an EP (their only one!) so it'd be a cool bookend.

my first favorite band. loved 'em from 14-29 and counting.
reebty

« Reply #53 on: Sep 28, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »

and i guess one could count _Decade_ as half a greatest hits comp, giving him 2.5 Very Happy

I was thinking of Decade and Greatest Hits. And speaking of track selection, two thirds of the latter overlaps with the former and it's missing Cortez the Killer, but it's still a great selection. But then given that it's 1969-92 minus the Geffen period, it would have been hard to fuck up. There's also Lucky Thirteen, which seems to be some sort of Least Great Hits collection drawing exclusively from the legendarily bad Geffen albums such as Trans.
sashwap

« Reply #54 on: Sep 28, 2011, 09:06:45 AM »

"Shiny Happy People"

AGH GOD WHY

I love REM to death but that song is on a very short list of songs that will make me physically remove myself from a room if it is playing in said room

Laughing

i love this song, it's totally not as bad as commonly believed.
reebty

« Reply #55 on: Sep 28, 2011, 11:46:57 AM »

I find it OK. I liked it back in the day, but I couldn't listen to it with my mum in the house without her saying "why are they shiny?!"
Nick Ink

« Reply #56 on: Sep 28, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »

It's okay. Pop Song 89 is the one that I can't listen to.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Nick Ink

« Reply #57 on: Sep 28, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »

Just seen the poll - Stand is a great track! People don't like Stand????

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
fishjim

« Reply #58 on: Sep 28, 2011, 01:16:02 PM »

I'm one of the 2 who don't like "Stand," but I'm just an R.E.M. familiar, not a major fan. I can't stand it because of, "Think about direction / Wonder why you haven't before." The rest of the lyrics aren't so bad, but when you're stuck on the word end of the music continuum, a stupid line ruins a song.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 01:18:22 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
sashwap

« Reply #59 on: Sep 28, 2011, 01:22:08 PM »

the biggest stain on r.e.m. legacy is around the sun. having the occasional fun, light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek songs shouldn't be a mark against them. "shiny happy people" is cheesy, but deliberately so. unlike, say, "leaving new york," which is a single they seem to be more proud of.

i remember reading an interview with peter buck where he talks about recording the solo for "stand." he did two "serious" ones, and then a super cheesy wah wah version to make the other guys laugh. and then they all decided to put the funny version on the album.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 01:25:21 PM by sashwap » Logged
davy

« Reply #60 on: Sep 28, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »

I think that's a fair point.

dumbfish

« Reply #61 on: Sep 28, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »

My opposition to "Stand" has an autobiographical element. That was the song that the normals glommed onto, and which shifted REM from my band to everyone's band. I was 17 and hadn't accepted that phenomenon yet.
Also, it's terrible.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 01:33:12 PM by dumbfish » Logged

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
fishjim

« Reply #62 on: Sep 28, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »

the biggest stain on r.e.m. legacy is around the sun. having the occasional fun, light-hearted, tongue-in-cheek songs shouldn't be a mark against them. "shiny happy people" is cheesy, but deliberately so. unlike, say, "leaving new york," which is a single they seem to be more proud of.

i remember reading an interview with peter buck where he talks about recording the solo for "stand." he did two "serious" ones, and then a super cheesy wah wah version to make the other guys laugh. and then they all decided to put the funny version on the album.

Yeah, I don't mind "Shiny Happy People" so much because they seem to be poking fun at the banality of the refrain. And I wouldn't mind "Stand" if the rest of the lyrics didn't seem to take themselves seriously. Hadn't heard the story about the solo, but it sounds like the whole band was confused about the song's tone.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 01:47:47 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
edison

« Reply #63 on: Sep 28, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »

Yes!
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #64 on: Sep 28, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »

In any case bill berry owns the Shiny Happy People video

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Benmont Tench

« Reply #65 on: Sep 28, 2011, 04:02:52 PM »

I actually love "Stand", and don't mind "Shiny Happy People". It's "Radio Song" that I can't stand, with it being so bad that it actually lowers my opinion of Out of Time substantially. Which is a shame, as the rest of that album is pretty great ("Shiny Happy People" aside.)

Keep your dripping hair away from the digipak!
Nick Ink

« Reply #66 on: Sep 28, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »

It's okay. Pop Song 89 is the one that I can't listen to.

I actually love "Stand", and don't mind "Shiny Happy People". It's "Radio Song" that I can't stand, with it being so bad that it actually lowers my opinion of Out of Time substantially. Which is a shame, as the rest of that album is pretty great ("Shiny Happy People" aside.)

I'm an imbecile - I, of course, meant to say Radio Song in this post.

nonotyet

« Reply #67 on: Sep 28, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »

I think that a lot of the material on Out Of Time, as much as I alternately love  ("Country Feedback") and tolerate (I never thought "Radio Song" was that bad but it meant a lot more to me when I was 13 and full of incipient anticorporate rage without knowing what the fuck I was talking about) and want it to be set on fire ("Shiny Happy People"), suffers from an overabundance of for lack of a better term what I will call 90s earnestness. I mean, we all remember the video for "Losing My Religion".
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2011, 04:20:38 PM by nonotyet » Logged
reebty

« Reply #68 on: Sep 28, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »

I don't like Radio Song, Near Wild Heaven or Me In Honey and I usually don't bother with Shiny Happy People or Texarkana. I find the rest of it fucking awesome, so it's like this brilliant five track EP that neither starts nor ends where the band intended.
davy

« Reply #69 on: Sep 28, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »

Speaking of honey, I'd like to speak up here and declare that I never felt more embarrassed for REM as I did when I saw their last video for "Mine Smells Like Honey."

You want my vote for worst REM song? That's it.

jm

« Reply #70 on: Sep 28, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »

Just wanna say that I also like Stand.  I think it's a good song.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
reebty

« Reply #71 on: Sep 28, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »

Stand rocks.

And Mine Smells Like Honey could well be the worst REM song.
reebty

« Reply #72 on: Sep 29, 2011, 01:20:24 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjhsZ8ZMTzY
Johnp

« Reply #73 on: Sep 29, 2011, 06:26:07 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLAulSXnvo4

Nos vertus ne sont, le plus souvent, que des vices déguisés.
clare

« Reply #74 on: Sep 29, 2011, 07:27:28 AM »

This is why I love Shiny Happy People. I can live without Stand though, again for "what was happening to me when I heard this song" reasons.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: REM done
Jump to: