Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 06:24:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 85 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: FX Lets Some Pretty Sexy Shit Fly: TV Thread  (Read 14994 times)
milly balgeary

« Reply #275 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:24:56 AM »

Homeland is SO good.  It hits a high-water mark at episode 7, "The Weekend," which is about as good an hour of television as you can make.  They walked some stuff back after that episode, and I've been a little more ambivalent (but still enjoying it!) since then; my final opinion is probably going to rest on how they resolve everything. It could definitely veer into 24 territory any episode now.

I enjoyed episode 1 last weekend! I am gonna hit the others. It's very good compared to the trailers.

Babar

« Reply #276 on: Dec 09, 2011, 02:17:08 AM »

Re: shows starting out bad and getting better, with the Mighty Boosh I felt like they had crammed all their good jokes into the first five minutes of the first episode, and then somehow still stumbled on, further and further downhill. I know a lot of people who think its high-larious though.

I'm on the other spectrum. I love the show, but I think they were more confined to the zoo in the first season but in season 2 & 3 I guess the got adequate budget to really let their imagination go. So to me S2 & S3 are superior. But like I said, the whole show is great.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #277 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »

boosh is good but for me anything after the first season is just too goofy. I don't even know if that's a valid criticism of this show really but it's how I feel.

My boss was all about American Horror Story tonight, is it any good or just another thing I should ignore that my boss says? I don't think I've watched us tv in like 5 years. It's kind of exciting. should I look it up? or just stick to black books and korean romantic dramas over and over?

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
Greg Nog

« Reply #278 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:39:51 PM »

Hey let's say I wanted to try an episode of Glee to get more of a sense of the thing.  Is there a widely-agreed-upon best episode?
heather marie

« Reply #279 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:11:50 AM »

Hey let's say I wanted to try an episode of Glee to get more of a sense of the thing.  Is there a widely-agreed-upon best episode?

the britney spears episode is pretty hilarious.

but there is SO. MUCH. FAIL. on that show, in terms of *~*serious*~* issues.
jebreject

« Reply #280 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »

That show stinks

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #281 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:19:40 AM »

"Sectionals" from the first season maybe?  I don't know, I quit watching it a long time ago.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
Chet

« Reply #282 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »

you should just watch the newest episode of community instead, where the gang replace the glee club to save christmas.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
Greg Nog

« Reply #283 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:32:31 AM »

That was actually what prompted the question!  I watched that episode of Community last night, and enjoyed it, and had seen like half an episode of Glee previously, so understood the broad strokes of the parody.  But I wanted to get a better sense of what the original is like.

And incidentally, I think Baby Boomer Santa is both the meanest and most hilarious satire I've seen in a very long time.
coldforge

« Reply #284 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »

I enjoyed the first 'season' of Glee, or whatever it was, which was only one episode. They really shouldn't have made anything else. I mean, they obviously should have, because it is a ridiculously successful powerhouse of a cultural institution already. But.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Chet

« Reply #285 on: Dec 10, 2011, 11:08:23 AM »

hey, so the new louis ck special is available on his website in little under an hour for $5. you can either stream it or download it.

that seems like a very good deal to me.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
Babar

« Reply #286 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:36:17 PM »

I like Glee because it introduces a variety of older music to a new audience.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
edison

« Reply #287 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »

hey, so the new louis ck special is available on his website in little under an hour for $5. you can either stream it or download it.

that seems like a very good deal to me.

Yes! Downloading now and very much looking forward to it.
Greg Nog

« Reply #288 on: Dec 10, 2011, 12:52:07 PM »

Just bought it!  Equal parts excited about the show itself and the business model.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #289 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »

I watched the second season with my roommate, who was a fan, but it's remarkably awful. Except I enjoyed the Rumours episode, because Rumours.

heather marie

« Reply #290 on: Dec 10, 2011, 02:22:07 PM »

"Sectionals" from the first season maybe?  I don't know, I quit watching it a long time ago.

yeah, I quit watching when they introduced Coach Biste. hey, let's make a watered down transphobic joke about the newest coach. awesome! way to really fight for the LGB(T) community, glee writer dude.

but I have been watching clips online and the Troubletones = awesome. and Santana coming out to her abuela made me cry.
jebreject

« Reply #291 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »

Hey Thermo! You around? I watched the first two eps of Workaholics. The first episode was great, I thought, but I didn't like the second at all. I'll probably watch a few more.

Thermofusion

« Reply #292 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »

The third episode is hilarious! If you're still liking it after that, you may wanna skip ahead to episode 7 or whichever the juggalo one is. The last three or four episodes of the 1st season were great.

triple paisley minimum
jebreject

« Reply #293 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:29:26 PM »

Cool. I'll try to stick with it.

ellaguru

« Reply #294 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »

Homeland is SO good.  It hits a high-water mark at episode 7, "The Weekend," which is about as good an hour of television as you can make.  They walked some stuff back after that episode, and I've been a little more ambivalent (but still enjoying it!) since then; my final opinion is probably going to rest on how they resolve everything. It could definitely veer into 24 territory any episode now.

I enjoyed episode 1 last weekend! I am gonna hit the others. It's very good compared to the trailers.

I ... watched the first two episodes just now and thought they were pretty painful. All trite and paint by numbers and woefully overwritten. Is there some sudden turnaround or is this pretty much what Homeland is like?

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
milly balgeary

« Reply #295 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:46:26 PM »

yeah i had a pretty big hangover saturday so i watched a bunch of it. it gets pretty damn good. the show is good stuff.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #296 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »

Rewatching Downton Abbey se. 1 in preparation for grabbing the new season from TVTorrents! Man I love this show

think 'on the road.'
hannah

« Reply #297 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »

Oof the second season is pretty good but it somehow manages to up the soapy quotient to such an extent that I found it hard to stomach by the end. But obviously it was still rip-roaring entertainment, and Lady Sybil remained a babe.
alex

« Reply #298 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:07:47 AM »

Yeah, pretty much agree with hannah there. What bothered me more than the soapiness, though, was the pacing - some storylines rushed through really really quickly while others went excruciatingly slowly. Didn't care too much for various plot devices either, but yeah, it was still good entertainment.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #299 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:13:09 AM »

Oof the second season is pretty good but it somehow manages to up the soapy quotient to such an extent that I found it hard to stomach by the end. But obviously it was still rip-roaring entertainment, and Lady Sybil remained a babe.

Sad

D and I were talking last night about what a simple moral universe this show exists in and how evident that is from the first episode. But I still really dig the performances, clothes, music, cinematography, etc.

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: FX Lets Some Pretty Sexy Shit Fly: TV Thread
Jump to: