Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 21, 2014, 05:38:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 80 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: you know damn well that gay marriage is now legal in Skyrim (videogames)  (Read 25974 times)
Chet

« Reply #175 on: Mar 17, 2012, 08:46:21 PM »

l.a noire, a game where it is impossible to fail.

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
davy

« Reply #176 on: Mar 18, 2012, 07:03:47 AM »

It's not alone in that regard.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
jebreject

« Reply #177 on: Mar 18, 2012, 10:10:24 AM »

It's still fun as hell, and fairly challenging. The whole let-you-skip-the-action-scenes thing is weird, but with how bad I am at driving the car, I'll probably need it.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jm

« Reply #178 on: Mar 18, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »

hey dudes add me on steam

oh hey just fired up steam for the first time in a few months.  Tried to find you, but couldn't.  Same name as here, no?

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Chet

« Reply #179 on: Mar 18, 2012, 11:51:21 AM »

The consequences for getting things wrong in L.A Noire are very negligible. and every investigation feels the same after the first few. Then you have this huge, realistic rendering of L.A, with absolutely nothing to do in it. It felt more like a hub-world, then an open world game map. I just could get into/didn't get that game at all.

jebreject

« Reply #180 on: Mar 18, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »

The consequences for getting things wrong in L.A Noire are very negligible. and every investigation feels the same after the first few. Then you have this huge, realistic rendering of L.A, with absolutely nothing to do in it. It felt more like a hub-world, then an open world game map. I just could get into/didn't get that game at all.

Did you play the street crime mode or whatever? That's pretty open world. I haven't messed around with it much but it's a lot more like GTA or whatever, and there are all kinds of side quests and things to discover.

I disagree with you that every investigation feels the same, but I dunno, this is just the sort of thing I really have fun with. I guess I can see how it might feel same-y. If I have any major complaints so far, it's that the game does often feel like a hidden object game with action sequences thrown in here and there, though I'm mostly okay with that. The interrogation stuff is really cool, but still feels like there could be more to it (I guess I'm just more used to the more complex dialogue trees you get in, say, Fallout or Mass Effect or whatever).

Thermofusion

« Reply #181 on: Mar 23, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »

I liked the writing in L.A. Noire. Snappy dialogue. The Vice desk arc was where the game briefly hit a stride for me. On the whole, though, aside from the impressive technical aspects, I'm pretty ambivalent about it. Really, really linear, like a graphic adventure game from the 80s. Then there's the token Rockstar free roam world, which would be cool, except in this instance there's nothing to do but drive around and do the occasional "street crime" case (which is invariably a foot or car chase or a shootout). I wanted to love that shit!

triple paisley minimum
Thermofusion

« Reply #182 on: Mar 23, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »

Anyway look at these new stills from Assassin's Creed III:

I am going to buy this game when it comes out. I am going to tomahawk so many redcoats.

triple paisley minimum
elpollodiablo

« Reply #183 on: Mar 23, 2012, 02:57:20 PM »

Wow! That almost makes me want to check that out, even though I was bored to tears by the first two.

think 'on the road.'
Thermofusion

« Reply #184 on: Mar 23, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »

Yeah even though I generally like the gameplay and appreciate the audacity of digitally reconstructing entire renaissance cities, I've never made it more than halfway through an Assassin's Creed game. Probably 'cause of the stupid sci-fi framing story, I guess. The multiplayer mode introduced in AC: Brotherhood, though, is really fun for being rather weird and high-concept. 

triple paisley minimum
Chet

« Reply #185 on: Mar 23, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »

As much as I love the thought of slaughtering many brits, Ass Creed can suck my nuts. Those games, at least the first two, are genuinely two of the worst games I have ever played and I mean that. The gameplay is boring, the story is ridiculous, and the voice acting, if it is not at least outright offensive and borderline racist, is game breaking bad.

The Batman Arkham games do everything the Ass games do, in terms of gameplay, and do it so much better.
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2012, 05:14:25 PM by Chet » Logged

Thermofusion

« Reply #186 on: Mar 23, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

Yeah, the Italian accents in AC2 are so bad you kind of wonder if they did it on purpose.

triple paisley minimum
jebreject

« Reply #187 on: Mar 23, 2012, 05:51:10 PM »

I liked the writing in L.A. Noire. Snappy dialogue. The Vice desk arc was where the game briefly hit a stride for me. On the whole, though, aside from the impressive technical aspects, I'm pretty ambivalent about it. Really, really linear, like a graphic adventure game from the 80s. Then there's the token Rockstar free roam world, which would be cool, except in this instance there's nothing to do but drive around and do the occasional "street crime" case (which is invariably a foot or car chase or a shootout). I wanted to love that shit!

This sounds about right. It's definitely way too linear, though I do kind of enjoy the way it reminds me of those old Sierra games I used to love. Still, I wish there were other paths to take, and I wish that my actions had greater weight. I can't complain too much though, as I got it on sale from Steam for fifteen bucks. I'm definitely getting fifteen bucks worth of enjoyment out of it.

Ah_Pook

« Reply #188 on: Mar 24, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »

they should have cut all the action parts and entirely pointless open world parts and made it an adventure game. anyway, la noire was pretty awful i thought.

hugo is pretty awesome in sfxt, so thats good.

i feel a deep yearning to play dynasty warriors gundam 3, which is weird because i dont like gundam, or anime, or dynasty warriors.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
alistarr*

« Reply #189 on: Mar 24, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »

hugo is pretty awesome in sfxt, so thats good.

I hate getting hit by a Hugo combo and finding I'm dead. I also kind of hate getting hit by a Rolento and finding I can do very little except sit and wait, but I guess I just have to learn to deal with the two of them the same way I learned to deal with Zangief and Sagat in SF4.

Rufus is amazing in this game, which makes me partly happy but partly dismayed because lots of people seem to be picking him up. I really want to learn a Tekken character but I've mostly been playing co-op ranked matches with a friend and his Juri. It's still the most fun.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #190 on: Mar 24, 2012, 05:38:04 PM »

i dont really know what to do against rolento. or a ton of other characters. hugo does ridiculous damage but its pretty easy to shut him out too. i ran into a guy playing keepaway raven/dhalsim and i might as well have set my stick down for all i could do against it.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
davy

« Reply #191 on: Mar 26, 2012, 09:03:01 AM »

Wow! That almost makes me want to check that out, even though I was bored to tears by the first two.

It looks an awful lot like Mel Gibson's The Patriot: The Video Game.

Ignatius

« Reply #192 on: Mar 26, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »

NO! LAST OF THE MOHICANS + a little Patriot
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #193 on: Mar 26, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »

I have been thinking about digging out my copy of the first Assassin's Creed and finishing it but god it's such a snore

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #194 on: Mar 26, 2012, 10:32:14 AM »

I mean I already climbed every damn tower and did the slow motion dive into the pile of straw so I think I've extracted all possible enjoyment from the game.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Thermofusion

« Reply #195 on: Mar 26, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »

Some more details came out today

Quote from: destructoid
Like other games in the series, historical figures will have prominent roles in the plot, including George Washington, General Charles Lee and Benjamin Franklin (whom Ubisoft was quick to point out will not be filling the same kind of inventor character role Leonardo da Vinci had in games featuring Ezio Auditore's Italian adventures).

New protagonist, Connor, will play a part in the conflict between Great Britain and its American colonies, with the game beginning in the 1750s and ending some time following the revolution, but it is not his war. He is not fighting for one side or the other, rather seeking to further his own goals in the shadow conflict between the Assassin's Guild and the Templar Order. Born into the Mohawk tribe, Connor is a half European, half Native American who watched as the inaction of his people caused the destruction of his village. This causes him to seek justice and, ultimately, a new home with the Assassins.

Perhaps a fiercer warrior than any character yet seen in the series, Connor uses traditional weapons from both his Mohawk past and his new life as an Assassin in combination, dual-wielding the hidden blade and a tomahawk. In demo footage, he was seen leaping headlong into combat with groups of enemies, with a combat style which seems more aggressive and less reactionary than his predecessors. In addition to his hidden blade/tomahawk combination, Connor will also have access to firearms (including flintlock rifles and pistols) and a consumable weapon similar in nature to the Chinese rope dart, which features a sharp blade on a chain used to silently kill an enemy from within a tree, stringing them up as he descends.

18th century North America is a vastly different environment for AC, which has up to this point featured cities with considerably more urban development than the colonies. Players will visit New York and Boston (Philadelphia was considered and rejected, its grid-based layout deemed too boring from a gameplay perspective), and a brief glance at the latter shows that the team certainly isn't laying about when it comes to the city designs, but the real meat of the environmental design appears to have moved out into the wilds.

Dense forest areas can be crossed from within the trees, their branches a network of possible routes which appear almost overwhelming in their complexity, while rivers and cliffs offer their own opportunities for exploration and traversal. The greater emphasis on the great outdoors also includes the addition of wild animals. Deer, wolves and bears are among the beasts which can be encountered.

Also davy come on man it's against etiquette to bring up that stupid Mel Gibson movie in polite company. Ignatius is spot-on, this is some Last of the Mohicans shit. Homeboy gonna be jammin that clifftop denouement fiddle tune like f'real.

triple paisley minimum
davy

« Reply #196 on: Mar 26, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »

You guys are crazy. They pulled the character, the story  -- not to mention the tomahawk -- straight from that movie.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #197 on: Mar 26, 2012, 01:42:17 PM »

Right, because Mel Gibson's character was a half-Native American assassin who played both sides in the Revolutionary War to further his own ends.

davy

« Reply #198 on: Mar 26, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »

He definitely had a mystical stealthy woodsman thing going on, though. They even called him The Ghost. Plus,  he didn't want to fight, and only retrieved his tomahawk from the attic only because he was forced to after an attack on his family/homestead, whatever. It's close enough.

Ignatius

« Reply #199 on: Mar 26, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »

Uncas! Have you seen Last of the Mohicans?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: you know damn well that gay marriage is now legal in Skyrim (videogames)
Jump to: