Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:55:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657228 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 239 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32
Print
Author Topic: I'm a little bit naked, but that's okay: new clothes thread  (Read 22777 times)
clare

« Reply #700 on: Jun 15, 2012, 09:18:12 AM »

CK One was always marketed as unisex, and while I mostly ever smelled it on ladies back in mid-nineties NH, it seems like it's way more common on young latino guys in NYC nowadays.  Who I imagine would be somewhat nonplussed if I told them, "OH DUDE YOU SMELL LIKE YOU'RE BREAKING MY HEART"

Ah, see the bloke wore it too when I fell in love with him, so the whole unisex thing worked for me there...I totally get the 'evocative' smell thing though.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Black Amnesia of Heaven

« Reply #701 on: Jun 16, 2012, 11:29:42 AM »

i work very hard to smell like nothing and yet i still use a scented deodorant? it's the kind my dad uses (he bought it for me when i was 11 and i haven't yet seen the necessity to change), it smells all right if a little '50s and dudely but it doesn't seem to linger and manages to crowd away any bad smells that may draw up from me if i decide to sweat like hell (which i do).

which reminds me, the last time i saw greg he told me i smelled good

fishjim

« Reply #702 on: Jun 16, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »

which reminds me, the last time i saw greg he told me i smelled good

Meeting Greg IRL is a difficult and confusing but always sexual situation.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
Greg Nog

« Reply #703 on: Jun 16, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »

ha ha ha yesssssss
Anne the Man

« Reply #704 on: Jun 21, 2012, 06:37:31 PM »

Someone with a witty thread title idea should make a new one, cos I don't. But I am wearing harem pants and they are awesome! A kind of dark turquoise with orange, green and white polka dots the size of large pinpricks, and a sort of leaf pattern up the legs in the same colours with paisley sort of down the bottom.

I've never owned such pants--usually I wear skintight jeans--so it's cool having things that are both comfortable and rather spectacular. I should go barefoot and wear an anklet. Fun fact: some other cultures put bells on anklets so they can make pretty sounds while dancing or whatev--sometimes as a polite way of waking their king up in his bedchamber--but Tibetan monks used them to warn bugs to get out of the way on a path. Gosh!

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
fishjim

« Reply #705 on: Jun 21, 2012, 06:49:06 PM »

Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross
To see a fine lady upon a white horse:
With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes
She shall have music wherever she goes

See, even Mother Goose was Pentecostal.

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #706 on: Jun 21, 2012, 10:59:58 PM »

Brooks Brothers has their semi annual sale.  Most of their stuff is pretty expensive still, but their dress shirts are fucking MONEY, and they are 40% off if you buy 4.  They come down to $52 per shirt.  The non iron, slim fit shirts are the best shirts I've ever worn.  I've been transitioning my dress shirt collection to brooks brothers slowly but surely. 

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
Antero

« Reply #707 on: Jun 21, 2012, 11:15:33 PM »

Yeah, I'm probably going to have to take advantage of that. Extra-slim, semi-spread collar.

One day I will get all my shirts made.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
FreddyKnuckles

« Reply #708 on: Jun 21, 2012, 11:33:34 PM »

folks make a damn fine shirt.  Fifty bones is a bargain.

Quote from: Heathcote
I'm in with Greg Nog, IT'S FUCKING FAFFLE TIME!
clare

« Reply #709 on: Jun 22, 2012, 07:21:58 AM »

I've passed that message on to interested parties...thanks

elpollodiablo

« Reply #710 on: Jun 22, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »

Except for one Banana Republic shirt, all of my dress shirts are from Brooks Bros.

Of course, none of them fit any longer.

think 'on the road.'
clare

« Reply #711 on: Jun 22, 2012, 07:38:41 AM »

This is a good problem to have pollo! I am mourning some of my favourite clothes that are just too big to wear now, but also enjoying buying new favourites...

jebreject

« Reply #712 on: Jun 22, 2012, 11:25:07 AM »

I can't imagine being able to spend fifty dollars or more on a shirt. That's not to say that I don't think they'd be worth it; I'm sure they are. Just ... not in my budget at the moment or any time in the forseeable future.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Bernard

« Reply #713 on: Jun 22, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »

Jeb, learn to sew.

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
davy

« Reply #714 on: Jun 22, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »

I can't imagine being able to spend fifty dollars or more on a shirt. That's not to say that I don't think they'd be worth it; I'm sure they are. Just ... not in my budget at the moment or any time in the forseeable future.

Same boat. I have some nice shirts, but they all came from Nordstrom Rack or Gilt or some other mark-down/bargain hunting enterprise.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #715 on: Jun 22, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »

It's rare I've ever seen a shirt on Gilt for less than $50.

think 'on the road.'
cold before sunrise

« Reply #716 on: Jun 22, 2012, 01:18:50 PM »

pretty much everything that's not made in china or priced for the pretentious twat market is made here in india. what are you looking for? i've heard you can get 5 custom suits made for $100, am already going tailor hunting the monday after this next one in delhi if anybody else wants to get in on this.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
davy

« Reply #717 on: Jun 22, 2012, 01:30:09 PM »

It's rare I've ever seen a shirt on Gilt for less than $50.

It's rare, but it happens. Mostly Penguin & JACHS, the occasional Varvatos.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #718 on: Jun 22, 2012, 02:00:36 PM »

I like Penguin. When I was heavier I had a lot of their shirts because it was one of the few brands with a flattering fit that I could find. Would be interested to try em again.

think 'on the road.'
Antero

« Reply #719 on: Jun 22, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »

It all depends on your line of work. The money I used to spend on guitars and pedals now goes to court clothes.

Quote from: nonotyet
this has been OPINIONS IN CAPSLOCK
clare

« Reply #720 on: Jun 22, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »

Yep, the bloke I sent the heads up to is starting work as an accountant next week. He needs presentable clothes. (He's also my workplace Mexican buddy ;-)

justinh

« Reply #721 on: Jun 24, 2012, 07:48:39 AM »

CBS, beware of some of that tailoring--some of it can be dodgy as fuck.  I'm sure there are decent ones, but I wouldn't recommend going with the one that the rickshaw man takes you to...

Here a t-shirt on sale tends to go for $30.  Button-downs are generally $75+ on sale.  Since I've lived here I've bought basically all my clothes at the thrift store because I can't mentally handle paying so much money for things.  If I had to wear nice clothes for work I would certainly order all of them online from the US.  No wonder the Australian retail sector has been in the gutter...
cold before sunrise

« Reply #722 on: Jun 25, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »

it was an indian friend from back home who suggested having suiting made, it usually only takes a day, but did mention that they burnt the seams while pressing his pants afterwards. i could use the name of a good tailor in delhi by next sunday.

am familiar with the drill: if somebody shows you the shop then chances are they are getting a 50% kick-back and you'll pay twice as much. while fabric hunting for a friend's far east collection next season there was one shop owner who tried telling me his silk was $10/metre! they try and milk visitors but i'm getting better at negotiating, wish i knew more hindi.

Riding a tidal wave of whiskey on a surfboard made out of don't care.
justinh

« Reply #723 on: Jun 25, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »

Good job.  My wife is insane with the bartering...some bartering sessions can last an hour.  I just don't have the patience for that kind of thing.  I bought some ludicrously cheap shirts and things in India, and pretty much all of it was very shittily made (as you would expect). 
elpollodiablo

« Reply #724 on: Jun 26, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »

My process for tying a tie:

1) Tie a simple Victoria knot of decent quality.
2) Realize I'm slightly dissatisfied with it, either because the dimple isn't set well enough or the length is just a bit too long.
3) Try a different knot.
4) End up totally dissatisfied with the results.
5) Repeat steps 3-4 usually 2-3 times.
6) Tie another simple Victoria knot slightly inferior to the first.

fin.

think 'on the road.'
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: I'm a little bit naked, but that's okay: new clothes thread
Jump to: