Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:09:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657252 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 80 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24
Print
Author Topic: MOVIES MOVIES MOVIES! ACK!  (Read 17722 times)
DCDave

« Reply #550 on: Aug 02, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »

Naive how?

Spoilers!

Because it's more the product of ascribing personal beliefs regarding OWS to something that is on a movie screen than it is comparing the groups, looking at the timeline of movie production, etc. In order to say that the angry mob in TDKR is an OWS stand-in you'd have to ignore the events of the first movie re: The League of Shadows, ignore that when we see the mob in TDKR it's largely made up of/led by escapees from the supermax prison (I.E., Scarecrow is the judge) and other criminal elements (Selina Kyle's roommate, who cheers on the mob, tentatively, is herself a thief/con artist.) I think there is an element of pitting the have nots against the haves, for sure, but the haves don't come across as redeemed in the manner of, say, an Ayn Rand text. They're shown to be culpable, themselves, in the events that lead up to the takeover of Gotham. The few wealthy people we see pretty readily capitulate to Bane or were the reason he was able to take power in the first place.

I mean, the villains are

The rich board dude who hires Bane
His henchman
Scarecrow
Bane
Talia Al Ghul, who is, also, rich
League of shadows and prison escapees
- Other members of the angry mob?

The good guys are
Robin, who quits being a cop
Batman - (kind of?)
Selina Kyle
The cops who fight back after being held underground and starved for 6 months

The greys are
Commissioner Gordon
Matthew Modine
Most citizens of Gotham
The mayor

Also, Nolan says "Unlimited police powers are an atrocity, and when used, the populace will get pissed and maybe some of them will fight cops, but a lot won't be psyched about it."

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
peacocks

« Reply #551 on: Aug 02, 2012, 10:02:58 PM »

stupid olympics is making all my friends and relations want to watch dumb tv instead of cool movies.

dick-check your priviledge
Anne the Man

« Reply #552 on: Aug 03, 2012, 02:10:05 AM »

Also uh did anyone else notice that bit where Jim Gordon goes to some guy's door, it's answered by a woman, he says something like "we're having a national crisis and your WIFE answers the door?!" when the dude comes up, and he says "honey, get back in the kitchen" to his wife who disappears without a word? That was pretty funny, in a did-I-really-just-see-that-happen way.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
jebreject

« Reply #553 on: Aug 03, 2012, 07:36:05 AM »

Uhh I don't really remember it happening that way? I guess I could be wrong though

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
peacocks

« Reply #554 on: Aug 03, 2012, 06:44:49 PM »

I don't remember him saying kitchen, and it was more like a reassuring tone not a bossy tone. Still that guy seemed pretty useless to the movie.

I just watched the mill and the cross! I really liked it! except I fell asleep a mere 20 minutes before the end, what is wrong with me? I'll go back and watch it later. Barely any dialogue was exchanged and 30 minutes in I had already shed a tear for one of the characters. I kept being all WHY! WHY! and then they have Mary pretty much saying the same thing at the end, haha. Also as soon as I was all "aw what a quaint and peaceful time to live in, I'd try that for a day" some serious bad stuff happened and I shut my mouth, or brain because I don't think I was talking out loud.

milly balgeary

« Reply #555 on: Aug 04, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »

Also uh did anyone else notice that bit where Jim Gordon goes to some guy's door, it's answered by a woman, he says something like "we're having a national crisis and your WIFE answers the door?!" when the dude comes up, and he says "honey, get back in the kitchen" to his wife who disappears without a word? That was pretty funny, in a did-I-really-just-see-that-happen way.

I don't remember it going down this way!

jm

« Reply #556 on: Aug 04, 2012, 09:52:56 AM »

I just watched it last night, it went down the way Anne described it.

Man that movie had some fucked-up politics.  It was super fun, but also gross.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
JamesSchneider

« Reply #557 on: Aug 04, 2012, 10:13:04 AM »

Have watched it twice. The IMAX stuff is really spectacular to look at. The screenplay is whatever, but the writing in this series has always been more of an obstacle for fine actors to overcome than anything else. What struck me in this film was Christian Bale's visual discomfort with the suit. He starts moving his tongue around all weird and clearly feels quite silly. I think Nolan is quite interested in these big villains and big (hamfisted, to put it kindly), but I bet he'd rather not have to have the bat at all.

Couldn't you take the second bus home?
jm

« Reply #558 on: Aug 05, 2012, 12:10:53 PM »

Before Batman, I saw the preview for Argo. Which I'm going to see and which will almost definitely piss me off on some level(s).

Greg Nog

« Reply #559 on: Aug 05, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

Oh, damn it.  I did too, but forgot the name, and until I looked it up just now, I got excited that there was gonna be a movie about Jason and The Argonauts.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #560 on: Aug 06, 2012, 09:00:17 PM »

think 'on the road.'
jm

« Reply #561 on: Aug 06, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »

Boy do I ever not get that.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #562 on: Aug 06, 2012, 09:03:12 PM »

Never seen True Lies?

think 'on the road.'
milly balgeary

« Reply #563 on: Aug 06, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »

Never seen True Lies?

That movie straight SICzkkKK with action

jm

« Reply #564 on: Aug 06, 2012, 10:54:34 PM »

Never seen True Lies?

16-17 years ago, yeah

peacocks

« Reply #565 on: Aug 09, 2012, 12:54:39 AM »

just watched network for the first time. daaaaaaaaaaaaamn

and now I'm experiencing movie related angst.

Good Intentions

« Reply #566 on: Aug 09, 2012, 12:58:41 AM »

The performances in that movie are earth-shattering. Ultimately it tries to do a little too much and some of the arcs (esp. the love affair) get a little on-the-nose, but when that movie hits, it hits hard.
peacocks

« Reply #567 on: Aug 09, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »

yeah dude. I had to take a minute and be all quiet about it afterwords. and I like, needed a hug.

fishjim

« Reply #568 on: Aug 09, 2012, 11:40:57 AM »

it's been about 15 years since i saw network. time for re-viewing.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 12:15:59 PM by fishjim » Logged

Just wandering the countryside clearing caves.
G.C.R

« Reply #569 on: Aug 09, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »

I had never seen a Nick Broomfeild film, but man, Biggie and Tupac pretty much sucked, huh. I complained so hard all the way through that my boyfriend was basically like "why are you being such a bitch?" but wow, as a film maker he (Broomfeild, not my boyfriend) sure gives creedence to a bunch of pretty tenuous statements by people only vaguely related to the subject at hand (so, you worked as a bag boy with Biggie when you were both 17? tell me, do you think he had it in him to kill people?)

But last night I rewatched Footlight Parade, which is kinda racist and basically overblown propagada a lot of the time (I love when the dancers hold placards which form an American flag! Which then morphs into the face of FDR! And then they group themselves in the shape of an eagle with guns firing out from its edges!) but is still probably like my 3rd favourite Busby Berkeley musical (just behind 42nd st and Gold Diggers of 1933). James Cagney is the super best dancer.

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 10:27:47 PM by G.C.R » Logged

I think it's fair to assume we'll be inebriated and covered in bodily effluvia all weekend
peacocks

« Reply #570 on: Aug 12, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »

dangit I saw the last 3 minutes of bonnie and clyde before having seen the rest of the movie.

I saw The Watch in theaters with my parents the other day, it was better than I expected. Vince Vaughn is an annoying scene stealer but maybe 3 out of 10 things he said in rapid succession made me laught so it wasn't bad. The dude from the IT crowd was funny, it was pretty suspenseful, the aliens were good, the explosions were good. I had fun watching it with my parents! It didn't pass the bechdel test but neither did batman, whatareyagonnado.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2012, 06:19:54 PM by peacocks » Logged

jebreject

« Reply #571 on: Aug 26, 2012, 07:00:42 PM »

Watched two movies today.

The Dictator was exactly what I should have expected, but a number of people whose opinions I trust recommended it, so I kind of had my hopes up. I had about the same experience with it as I did with Borat: some incredibly funny moments, but over all it was just really stupid and often offensive (and not in any interesting way). Also, one rape joke isn't funny, let alone sprinkling them liberally throughout the entire movie. I thought some of the gross-out stuff was funny, and I liked the movie best when it was just being ridiculous; almost all of the attempts to be a smart satire fell totally flat or were way, way too ham-fisted.

21 Jump Street, on the other hand, was the most fun I've had watching a movie in quite a while. I liked pretty much everything about it, from the way it parodied and poked fun at the action/buddy cop genre while lovingly exemplifying it--it reminded me a lot of Hot Fuzz--to the casting, the direction and the way it was self-referential just enough to be funny rather than cynical. Not an Important or Great film by any means, but a lot of fun, with some great action moments, and most importantly it was, really, really funny.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
milly balgeary

« Reply #572 on: Aug 26, 2012, 11:35:32 PM »

If I could stand Jonah Hill I would have thought it was funny, but due to his presence, the movie grated on me.

davy

« Reply #573 on: Aug 28, 2012, 09:40:48 AM »

Yeah, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed 21 Jump Street.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Nick Ink

« Reply #574 on: Aug 28, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »

I went to the cinema and saw Brave the other day. It was good. That is all I have to say at the moment.

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: MOVIES MOVIES MOVIES! ACK!
Jump to: