Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:27:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 85 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Would you rather go to the theater, or a concert/live show?  (Read 1703 times)
elpollodiablo

« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2012, 07:58:55 AM »

Honestly I didn't think the split would be nearly that even.

think 'on the road.'
edison

« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:19:26 AM »

It strikes me upon reading some comments here that your take on going to live shows is heavily informed by contextual factors - If I go to a live show here, I'll hardly ever need to queue or even wait (pretty much all venues have set times for bands) and it won't require much of an effort to get there (most venues are in a 1km radius from my house). I suppose that's quite different from the NYC experience, for instance. Also, we're not spoiled for choice - there'll be like one really interesting show every three weeks or so on average, which is not really conducive (in my experience at least) to being blasť about going out to see a band.

Anyway, even without those factors I'd still have voted live show, to be honest. I tell myself "I should go to the theatre more" all the time but never end up doing it. Which is stupid, because there's even an apparently pretty good branch of the national theatre here!
elpollodiablo

« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2012, 08:35:27 AM »

All of the things that jammer complained about irk me too, but those aren't even necessarily the main reasons I prefer the theater. Like Greg was saying, it's more to do with my overwhelming preference for narrative in all human creative endeavors. Live music, in a sense, bores me a lot of the time--even if it's an act I really like, generally after the first couple songs my mind starts to wander and I start speculating as to how much longer it's going to be.

think 'on the road.'
jm

« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:03:15 AM »

All of the things that jammer complained about irk me too, but those aren't even necessarily the main reasons I prefer the theater. Like Greg was saying, it's more to do with my overwhelming preference for narrative in all human creative endeavors. Live music, in a sense, bores me a lot of the time--even if it's an act I really like, generally after the first couple songs my mind starts to wander and I start speculating as to how much longer it's going to be.

Yeah, I was mostly just being grumpy re: the things I hate about shows (which, as edison points out, aren't even remotely universal). The things you're saying here are why I prefer theater - I'm so much less likely to get bored when there's a Thing to follow.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
edison

« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:11:59 AM »

Oh yeah, I got that. I didn't mean to say those I described are deciding factors necessarily, just that they might contribute to making live music a more unpleasant experience than it can and should be.

I don't really share your preference for narrative as a principle, but over the years, I've found that the more I go to shows, the more I tend to be underwhelmed or even annoyed by the acts that just show up to play their new record plus a few older songs more or less competently (in which case, pleasant as it may be, my mind does tend to wander quite a bit pretty fast, as you describe), but thankfully, on a regular basis, there are others who do a great job at being thoroughly and consistently captivating either thanks to sheer musicianship and energy (like Wilco recently), and/or by being utterly unpredictable (Dylan, BPB, The Fall, etc.). But ultimately, yeah, it's a different sort of pleasure and I get that people would prefer narrative-based art.

edit: x-post, this was a response to pollo
coldforge

« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »

Which one do I tick off for watching TV on Hulu?

Ť l'era del terzo mondo.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »

I stay at home and watch Grimm because of my preference for narrative in all human creative endeavors

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:23:26 AM »

I think part of what is happening in this thread is that we've all seen some boring live shows, but not enough of y'all have been to see some really bad theatre regularly enough (SPOILER: Not always so keen on narrative). If we're comparing our pleasant theatre-going experiences with our middling or crappy concert-going experiences, then of course theatre wins. But you can do it the other way around, too.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:24:33 AM »

Meanwhile, at Northwestern

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:24:50 AM »

Do our interactions here matter?

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »

I think part of what is happening in this thread is that we've all seen some boring live shows, but not enough of y'all have been to see some really bad theatre regularly enough (SPOILER: Not always so keen on narrative). If we're comparing our pleasant theatre-going experiences with our middling or crappy concert-going experiences, then of course theatre wins. But you can do it the other way around, too.

But my question was generally which experience do you prefer. I'd prefer a good play to a good rock show.

think 'on the road.'
DCDave

« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »

I'd prefer an ideal live concert to an ideal play because I have a shorter attention span than a scene in a play.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
coldforge

« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:27:05 AM »

Good rock shows are much louder Sad

Ť l'era del terzo mondo.
jm

« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »

Yeah, same here.

His hand is holding my hands, which are rested on his knee.
Ignatius

« Reply #39 on: Mar 15, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »

I would almost never be able to cultivate the same type of relationship to a playwright or director or actor(s) that I do for particular musicians. This makes a big difference. Also, the discovery of a phenomenal performer, even when I'm familiar with the catalog, is a thrill that I rarely experience in theater. To be sure, I know there are eye-opening performances in theater as well, I just never chanced upon one.
Bernard

« Reply #40 on: Mar 15, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »

I think edison makes a good point -- I have experienced perhaps one moderately boring opera, but after that, I cannot recall a single play I've seen that wasn't at least a little amazing. This is almost certainly contextual (and) atypical -- it's because a friend of my mom's was a director, and almost everything I've seen has come through him or my favorite performers from his troupe, and the type of work they do (which is actually very light on narrative) gives me that kind of religious-experience feeling of being really swept up in and a part of something that you get at the best live shows.

On the other hand, LA audiences are a bunch of too-cool shitbags and very often ruin the fuck out of live shows for all but a very few performers (I will go see Meshell play literally anywhere).

Ha, see, and look how Julian Casablancas ended up!!!!
monkeypants

« Reply #41 on: Mar 15, 2012, 12:38:23 PM »

That's an interesting point, Bernard, although my experience has been kinda the opposite of yours.  Not once have I ever left a play thinking "That was the best thing ever!", whereas I have that thought about music performances on a fairly regular basis.  (It's worth noting that I've seen like 1/100 as many plays as shows though.)  Another aspect is that I'm much, much more knowledgeable about music than theatre, so I can make much better decisions about what performances I know I'll enjoy.  Also, I live in the sticks so theater performances are far thinner on the ground than they would be if I lived in a larger city.   But really though, it mostly just come down to the fact that I'm a music nerd and that's what I dig. 

shitcakes drizzled with mediocrity syrup
Anne the Man

« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2012, 01:09:56 AM »

If I lived in a place with better live theatre I'd consider that, but as it is, live shows in this town are far and away superior.

GRACE GO SEE PENINSULA IT'S REALLY GOOD

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
clare

« Reply #43 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:39:54 PM »

My choice was based solely on the fact that the seats in the theatre here are so fucking uncomfortable (even for me, at average height) that the bloke cannot sit in them at all. So even though we don't go out at all to see anything ever, if we did, it wouldn't be theatre.

Of course, if that constraint didn't exist, and if we went out ever, I reckon I'd be a pretty even split. Shows come, and I think "that sounds interesting" or bands I'd like to see, but I never end up making it. Oh, and you can add the "nothing good comes to Canberra" whinge to that too, but that's because I'm in a "bitter about the Gandalf's tour" mood.

You must have a very long, thin, tapered penis.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Would you rather go to the theater, or a concert/live show?
Jump to: