Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 17, 2014, 08:36:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657232 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 78 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: New computer (stop all the downloading!)  (Read 3173 times)
mixed cats

« Reply #25 on: Apr 17, 2012, 10:52:47 PM »

Getting music onto it you didn't pay for might be kind of annoying if you don't have another computer.

Flash not working is not a big deal unless there's a specific reason you need it to work. I don't run into "you don't have flash!!" warnings very often anymore. I think there's a browser in the app store that auto converts flash video to html5, but it doesn't work on flash applications/games. I just use Safari because it's never come up enough to be bothersome. It's possible the ubiquity of iOS devices is making web developers abandon it. Or I am getting shunted to mobile sites. Or people are starting to realize that flash based sites suck even on normal computers.

You can do some things with files, but you can't look at the file structure. So let's say you want to upload a photo to Flickr and normally you'd do it through the browser.. You go there in Safari and there's no option for uploading a file. You have to go get the Flickr app in order to upload photos. The iPad is really about media consumption, not creation, so I wouldn't get it if you need to do much. If you're typing a lot, maybe get one of those keyboard cases? And yeah, you'll end up needing online storage if you don't want to fill up its memory with junk.

I have Samsung Galaxy tabs at work and I hate them, they are terrible crashy things, but it might just be how we have them set up.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
peacocks

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »

I'm getting a new computer on tuesday! It's a lenovo edge and some numbers I don't remember, a new model. 15.5" screen, 500gb memory 2.5 ghz processor 8gb ram and the little nubbin thing for the cursor! And i think a mini numpad on the side, like a real keyboard. I wonder if it will fall off my lap. that's all good right? it's gonna be so much faster than what I'm used to (a computer from 2006).

the problem now is getting the stuff off my old computer because the screen finally sorta fell off last week Sad

dick-check your priviledge
Babar

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »

You could connect the computers via firewire and pick and choose what to keep using your new computer.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
peacocks

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »

Ouuu I like the sound of that!

Babar

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 03:15:56 AM »

How is "Ouuu" pronounced?

peacocks

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 09:57:06 AM »

Ohooo! Sort of like ew but more rounded.

Ignatius

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »

Is that like the Eric Cartman "ohhhh?"
peacocks

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 12:25:26 PM »

no, it's more what you say when someone hands you a mystery gift bag and when you open it there is a bunch of something you love like little reeces peanut butter cups or bottles of nail polish.

peacocks

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »

so i'm using my new computer right this instant and I have some questions.

why, if it is not plugged in, does my battery power appear to be increasing?

what are your desktop backgrounds? I want a super great pretty one. right now it's a bunch of goats hanging out in a tree, which was what i had on my old computer but... I don't know. they don't seem to quite fit this one.

this glass windows thing is crazy, I don't know what color to pick and at which intensity! I am drawn towards purple. but then, no. aahhh!  Too many nonchoices!

Ignatius

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 12:57:31 AM »

I have an eagle's head and the eagle is yelling about something but the eagle is beautiful, even in anger
Babar

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 06:09:11 AM »

Mine is this picture of pot-bellied pigs. I recommend it.

Greg Nog

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »

Mine's this picture of part of the Merrimack river, in southern NH.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 09:42:12 AM »

I have some default windows bullshit, I switch laptops so often ('cause I'm basically always rehabbing castoffs at work) that by the time I get around to changing the desktop wallpaper I'm about ready to switch to a different one.

One of my favorites in the past few years was the month or two I had Greg's "BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS" comic as my wallpaper.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Greg Nog

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »

Oh man, that is great!

My desktop at work is this photo of the sun, stretched to fit the screen, so that it's more of an ellipse.

EDIT: why did I type ellipsis when I meant ellipse, I am tired today
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:12:20 PM by Greg Nog » Logged
El_Josharino

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 01:09:28 PM »

On my work computer I have the lagoon nebula. On my home computer I have a picture of 2 dinosaurs making out. On my Ipad I have a picture of a dinosaur shooting at an asteroid with the word "REVENGE".

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
mixed cats

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »

I left my work one plain blue when I got a new machine a few weeks ago (also changed the appearance back to the hideous old Windows grey taskbar look, because I hate things)
I use Adventure Time background artwork for my home machine, which I believe gets posted on the Frederator blog, or something like that. I haven't changed it in months out of a case of the lazies.
iPad is cat pictures, phone is a picture of my thread rack.

call me, and we'll sit down and work it out
over pancakes and orange juices
Ashley

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »

I have an illustration of Vasilisa the Beautiful on one screen (tiled), and an illustration of kirk, spock and bones with bones getting zapped accidentally by kirk on the other screen (also tiled).

on my phone i have a picture of my cat.  on my netbook is a picture of another cat.

dogg you ain't gotta rustle outside in cloaks of darkness and shit
Good Intentions

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »

I have a slideshow of Cezanne paintings. Since I can't be bothered to decorate my bedroom at all, I thought downloading a few high-res photos of those would cheer up my desk a bit.
peacocks

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2012, 08:37:27 AM »

ok this is mine

jebreject

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 09:22:02 AM »

To piss off my co-workers who constantly change the awesome backgrounds I pick to dumb things like hands with multi-colored sports for fingers, I made the desktop of my (shared) work computer a big picture of Neil Hamburger.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jebreject

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »

My home computer has an awesome photo that our own Alexandra K took

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »

That big cat reminds me of this photo my sister posted on her Facebook yesterday

Which, to be on-topic, I just made the wallpaper image on my phone.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
peacocks

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2012, 12:06:20 PM »

aww her big cat looks a lot nicer than mine!

DCDave

« Reply #48 on: Jun 30, 2012, 05:44:30 PM »

Yesterday a glass of water spilled on my Mac Air. I put it in rice and brought it to the genius bar today. Everything checked out fine, but videos are a little stuttery. Is that a possible thing?

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | White Courtesy Phone | Topic: New computer (stop all the downloading!)
Jump to: