Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 2014, 07:39:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657253 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 80 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Liege and Lief  (Read 5297 times)
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #25 on: Apr 29, 2005, 01:49:30 PM »

I like that cover of "kiss" on the old kit bag bonus disc

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
justinh

« Reply #26 on: Apr 29, 2005, 08:22:41 PM »

so i gave shoot out the lights another listen (it's been probably a year since i bought it and listened to it, twice or so) and on further review, it's actually a pretty decent record.  I still think the cheesy 80s production is terrible and some of the lyrics are cringe-worthy, as is one or two of the more ballad-like songs, but overall, there are some awesome moments.  and not to mention richard thompson is a fucking amazing guitar player.  best song is probably "wall of death".
agnamaracs

« Reply #27 on: Apr 29, 2005, 09:57:39 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
heyyyyy, merry-go-round! i've never heard them, actually, but i have an emmitt rhodes album and it's great. he did an interview with jack rabid in an issue of the big takeover a couple years ago and was matter-of-factly suicidal. it made me sad. someone needs to reissue his solo albums and cut him a fucking check, maybe that would make him smile.

That interview is one of the most incredibly sad things I've ever read.

I'm taking off my watch; I'm trying not to think about time.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #28 on: Apr 29, 2005, 10:02:59 PM »

agreed.  Sad

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
insomniapays

« Reply #29 on: Apr 30, 2005, 01:26:07 AM »

Quote from: "Danen"
Quote from: "insomniapays"

Yeah, Unhalfbricking is kind of damaged by the unnecessary Cajun stuff.  Squeezeboxes, you know?

I still think it's a damn fine album.  So's their eponymous debut - which features a DIFFERENT girl singer than Sandy Denny and is rarely compiled from.  And is the song you're disputing about the French cover (why in French? Who the hell knows) of "If You've Got to Go, Go Now?"  What a twisted wreck of a song - I kinda dig it.

That song has some of what I'm talking about, but it surfaces on a coupla other tracks, too.  I'm not disputing that Unhalfbricking is a good album, it's just that I could do without the fricken accordion.  Not that I have anything gainst accordions in general, but you know.

Also, I've only ever heard that French song in French, done by at least a few different people, whom I cannot name.
Danen

« Reply #30 on: Apr 30, 2005, 11:14:14 AM »

Quote from: "insomniapays"

Also, I've only ever heard that French song in French, done by at least a few different people, whom I cannot name.

The original is by Bob Dylan and it's a hoot in English.  You can find it on disc 2 (I think) of the first Bootleg series boxset.
Lucy

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2005, 03:34:11 PM »

I think RT was actually my very first concert...and I know I've seen him several times since. I grew up on Richard/Sandy Denny era Fairport too, and do love the remastered version of Unhalfbricking with  "Ballad of Easy Rider" on it...it kills every time.  And Genesis Hall?  Yes Please!

As for the solo RT, Mock Tudor tends to get a lot of love in my house, and I listen a lot to the "You? Me? Us?" set. I also have a lot of love for "Waltzing's For Dreamers" off Amnesia (although I'm a sucker for almost anything in 3/4 time it seems...) and for "Persuasion", which he does with his son Teddy (who is a frequent Rufus Wainwright collaborator). The REM cover of "Wall of Death" is pretty sweet too.
Angus

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 05:42:03 PM »

Okay, here are the really rad Fairport Convention records with Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny.  There are other tracks that are on other records, but here are things you really need:

-What We Did On Our Holidays
-Liege and Lief
-Unhalfbricking ("Who Knows Where The Time Goes" is FC's greatest moment, a devastating song and performance)
-Heyday (Comp of live BBC appearances, almost all covers, really good, their version of Richard Farina's "Reno, Nevada" is so so good)

Fairport Convention has made a million other records and they almost all suck.
Whatnot

« Reply #33 on: Aug 11, 2005, 01:16:15 PM »

Ah yes, Fairport. I started with Unhalfbricking and that lasted me about 10 years. Having exhausted that album's pleasures I picked up L and L and after 15 years I'm still mining its treasures. So by my estimate L and L is at least 5 years better than Unhalfbricking.

By the way, the 'old people' on the cover of Unhalfbricking are supposedly Sandy Denny's parents.  What a stern upbringing she must have had!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Last Plane | Topic: Liege and Lief
Jump to: