Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 19, 2014, 03:34:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 81 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33
Print
Author Topic: books bought today  (Read 57322 times)
theartlessmonster

« Reply #775 on: Dec 17, 2006, 03:29:06 AM »

the secret language of the soul, a visual key to the spiritual world
secrets of aromatherapy
birds of san francisco and the bay area
the trees of san francisco

i want to know what's around me in terms of birds and trees, yes, these kinds of boring things interest me. heh.

the secret soul language one i already started reading while they were getting our table ready "the soul is invisible - a vital existance that breathes exisistence into humanity" hmmm do you guys believe in the soul? that it really can transform knowledge into wisdom?

Don't be a swiss roll.
slow west vultures

« Reply #776 on: Dec 17, 2006, 07:21:58 AM »

why don't you go live in a tree hippy lady  Smile  the soul is a phantasm cooked up by berkeley acid freaks.  i think its time to relocate Very Happy

Ocean in view! O! The joy!
theartlessmonster

« Reply #777 on: Dec 17, 2006, 02:35:15 PM »

i might like living in a tree, i'd completely hide out and have a "forest name" to replace my real name, NO ONE WILL FIND ME!

and you know what just for that, slow vulture, i'm not telling you ANY secrets of aromatherapy or the soul or any secret i find out about anything ever!  Mad

and i'm not a hippy! in fact someone offered me a chocolate a mushroom in it last night and i was afraid to take it, he kind of agreed that because my thoughts already depart with reality it might be strange to add that into the mix.  i thought of that NMH "song against sex" line about all the drugs i don't have the guts to take.

actually i think i'd like to live in a yurt more so then a tree, but some tree houses can be kick-ass too. two headed yurts. what?  Shocked

Don't be a swiss roll.
hannah

« Reply #778 on: Dec 23, 2006, 02:27:48 PM »

We had to wake up at 8 AM to make sure we were able to reserve seats together on our plane tomorrow, and once we were up it seemed we would not go back to sleep. Thus, we went and had coffee, and then we went to the Los Feliz Library's used book sale. Shit was kind of weird there. He and I were the youngest by millions of years.

For $2.50 ($.75 for hardcovers, $.25 for paperbacks), I got:

The Corrections
Pride and Prejudice

Nicholson Baker's Checkpoint
Beckett's Krapp's Last Tape

Not too shabby, I'd say.
milly balgeary

« Reply #779 on: Dec 23, 2006, 02:50:28 PM »

I've never had much love for Lovecraft, but I couldn't help picking up At The Mountains of Madness modern library classic, just for the cover which is of these beautiful, omnious glaciers.

It's got a psuedo-bad introduction by China Mieville, where China uses his formidable powers as an essayist to regurgitate the same old HP LOVECRAFT bit about his racism and about his extraordinary powers of imagination, etc. I've read Madness before (one of the only things by Lovecraft I can stand etc) and this is the 'restored version' but included, besides Mountains, is an essay by Lovecraft called supernatural horror in literature which I haven't read yet but I'm hoping proves as essential as Poe's article (gathered on the net) about the rules of composition.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #780 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:58:14 PM »

milly, that's the edition of that book that i read earlier this year and talked about in this thread. the story was pretty great, and i liked the essay, though it's almost all about super-obscure old shit from 200 years ago. still, it gave me a few ideas for stuff i need to look out for.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
El_Josharino

« Reply #781 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:58:46 PM »

I don't venture into this thread very often, as I don't read nearly as much as I should/want to.  Today, though, I was browsing some bookstores trying to get ideas for Christmas gifts, and I found some things that I thought would make great gifts to myself.

Duncan John Astronomy: The Definitive Guide to the Universe
Brian Greene The Elegant Universe
Kellow Chesney Pickpockets, Beggars, and Ratcatchers (Life in the Victorian Underworld)
Al Franken Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
milly balgeary

« Reply #782 on: Dec 24, 2006, 01:22:28 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
milly, that's the edition of that book that i read earlier this year and talked about in this thread. the story was pretty great, and i liked the essay, though it's almost all about super-obscure old shit from 200 years ago. still, it gave me a few ideas for stuff i need to look out for.

There's one very ironic passage in the essay Supernatural Horror in Literature

Lovecraft is talking about Henry James and the Turn of the Screw. He writes:

Henry James triumphs over his inevitable pomposity and prolixity sufficiently well to create a truly potent air of...

He woulda been right, had he switched his name for HJ.

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #783 on: Dec 24, 2006, 02:05:22 AM »

Quote from: "El_Josharino"

Brian Greene The Elegant Universe

Own it, fantastic book.  he's got a newer one too which i didn't find as immediate but I think will be equally rewarding if I give it the attention it deserves.  Guy has a way of describing really difficult science in a way that makes it live for you.  Like relativity?  Relativity, I knew the basic concepts, but until I read this book I never really GOT it, never felt it intuitively, like yeah, that's a way the universe could work.  This guy's awesome.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #784 on: Dec 24, 2006, 03:48:39 AM »

Bryan Burrough & John Helyar, Barbarians at the Gate.

Found this for $1 today. It'll take me ages to get around to it, but I figured I'd be a fool to pass it up for that price.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #785 on: Dec 29, 2006, 09:21:23 PM »

today i spent a $50 gift card to my own store that i got as a christmas gift/bonus from my boss. here's what i bought:

the walking dead vols. 3 and 4 (my collection is now complete--i have all of the individual comic books from vol. 5 on)
y the last man vol. 1
tapping the dream tree by charles de lint
someone comes to town, someone leaves town by cory doctorow (yes, son of e.l. he's a sci-fi writer, and his books look fascinating)
everyone in silico by jim munroe (i've read this, but don't own it, and it's going out of print so i figured i better get it now)

sorry no pics, i'm slack about that shit lately.

Wally

« Reply #786 on: Dec 30, 2006, 11:36:31 AM »

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
rockmeamadeus

« Reply #787 on: Dec 30, 2006, 11:55:16 AM »

Ahh sweet, Goldman was a crazy bitch! I mean that in the greatest sense possible, as in "I sure do wish I was a crazy bitch!"
Good Intentions

« Reply #788 on: Dec 30, 2006, 05:43:16 PM »

She is one of my personal heroes. Also, a theater critic.
jebreject

« Reply #789 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:23:16 PM »

Quote from: "Good Intentions"
She is one of my personal heroes.

Mine too.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
theartlessmonster

« Reply #790 on: Dec 31, 2006, 02:56:20 PM »

well not today exactly but

Zodiac Unmasked "The Identity of America's Most Elusive Serial Killer Revealed"

I have not read it yet, I always thought he was the "unabomber" same guy, but maybe not. You guys ever read about this guy?

Don't be a swiss roll.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #791 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:43:44 PM »

bought solely for the cover

i mean i'll read it but still. i love old sci fi book covers so much.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Aglaya

« Reply #792 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:49:07 PM »

I am currently coming to the end of the His Dark Materials trilogy.  All very good books.  I also hear they're supposed to be made into a movie, which will be interesting, what with all the anti-god/there-is-no-god sentiment.  I mean, as long as ridiculous changes aren't made, they'll be good movies, but I don't see how those movies could be released in America without basically changing the entire plot of the books.
Anyway though, they're all good books.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #793 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:50:20 PM »

Quote from: "Aglaya"
I mean, as long as ridiculous changes aren't made, they'll be good movies

i hate to break it to you...

Aglaya

« Reply #794 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:55:08 PM »

Quote from: "Ah_Pook"
I mean, as long as ridiculous changes aren't made, they'll be good movies

i hate to break it to you...

That's what I figured.  I mean, I was holding out a little hope but... yea.  A movie about killing god?  Not so much.  Which is sad.  What the hell are they going to be about now?

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #795 on: Jan 31, 2007, 10:58:37 PM »

thats the million dollar question

Ah_Pook

« Reply #796 on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:03:41 PM »

Quote from: "Ah_Pook"

bought solely for the cover

i mean i'll read it but still. i love old sci fi book covers so much.

i just wanted to have this on this page too :)

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #797 on: Feb 01, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »

I am currently coming to the end of the His Dark Materials trilogy.  All very good books.  I also hear they're supposed to be made into a movie, which will be interesting, what with all the anti-god/there-is-no-god sentiment.  I mean, as long as ridiculous changes aren't made, they'll be good movies, but I don't see how those movies could be released in America without basically changing the entire plot of the books.
Anyway though, they're all good books.

i'm betting they will edit out all of the stuff about dark matter entirely. the quest will become vague and fuzzy, or something. but one clarification: there is a god. he's just not the Creator, and therefore, doesn't necessarily deserve the respect/worship/belief of omnipotence/benevolence that he gets. which is why the angels are revolting in the first place. and who knows what happened to the Creator? it's never explained, and i think we're specifically told that the angels don't know.

shit is complicated.

on topic: went to barnes and noble yesterday to get the latest issue of the believer. i'm very broke this pay cycle for reasons of my own stupidity that i won't explain, but nonetheless i could scrounge up enough to do that. but then i decided to go look at the bargain books too. which i probably shouldn't have done, because i found two things i couldn't pass up:

tom wolfe - i am charlotte simmons ($7)

william t. vollmann - rising up and rising down (one-volume abridged version) ($6)

so yeah, spent $24. oops.

old kentucky shark

« Reply #798 on: Feb 05, 2007, 12:46:25 AM »

bought hella codexes recently gonna list em up like

samuel butler - the way of all flesh
donald barthelme - snow white
jean cocteau - les enfants terribles
henry miller - tropic of cancer
mikhail sholokhov - the don flows home to the sea
william gaddis - a frolic of his own
ayn rand - atlas shrugged
raymond chandler - killer in the rain
herman melville - great short works of
jules verne - journey to the center of the earth
edgar allan poe - complete tales and poems
john cheever - falconer
ludwig bemelmans - the donkey inside
robert coover - pricksongs and descants
charles dickens - ' best stories
gunter grass - dog years

this is in the past month or so and probably totaled around $60?

(ludwig bemelmans is the author of the "madeline" kids picture books and this is one of the only thigns he wrote for adults)

reading that gaddis now and liking it s o m u c h

you are seven dollars yes you are
davy

« Reply #799 on: Aug 10, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »

necro in da house.

things are too heavy in the books & reading thread right now, so i'm going to use this one to post pictures of the totally sweet 1940s children's book set my mother-in-law got me at a antique store in cornelia, ga for my birthday:

« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2008, 07:48:31 PM by davy » Logged

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: books bought today
Jump to: