Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 21, 2014, 08:09:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 91 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Alcohol  (Read 45442 times)
another max

« Reply #50 on: Mar 29, 2006, 09:05:45 PM »

monday night I drank a lot of "Old Grandad" bourbon, which can be understood as:

(quality of name)/1 = 1/(quality of overall drinking experience)
diesel_powered

« Reply #51 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:06:43 AM »

Quote from: "robOt"
fuck it. let's talk about booze some more.

promptly list your preferred:

- gin
- tequilla
- vodka
- rum
- brandy
- or even beer.

what & why, of each. i'm thinking of experimenting more with rum and/or gin-based drinks, and want to invest in some primo shit.

Tanqueray 10 - Bombay sapphire is just as good, but I like the citrus notes in the Tanqueray better than Bombay's herbal character.

Don Fernando Anniversary Boxed - I had this in a flight at a tequila bar... to call it smooth would be to do it a disservice. Goes down like water. And at something like $150 a bottle, it better.

Ciroc - This is a french grape vodka that some vodka heads I know turned me on to. Very smooth, none of that rubbing alcohol feel certain vodkas can give you. Nice winelike aftertaste.

Brugal Anejo - This rum is kind of harder to find in the U.S., but it's all over the Dominican Republic. Not too expensive and makes a hell of a Cuba Libre.

Maker's Mark - This is really my workhorse of whiskey. Lately I've been drinking it on the rocks at bars to get away from the beer consumption. It's a little sweet without venturing into Southern Comfort territory (eew....). I'd really like to get some more miles logged with better whiskeys, though. However, this proves difficult as better whiskeys aren't really in my price range at the moment.

Beer-wise, I'm usually up for anything that's either bottom of the barrel (Old Style and Mickeys are my favorite crap beers) or pretty good. Right now Summit Maibock is my beer of choice. It's well-rounded with a touch of bitterness and at about 8% ABV, it packs a whallup. Much like myself.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #52 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:59:57 AM »

Quote from: "another max"
monday night I drank a lot of "Old Grandad" bourbon, which can be understood as:

(quality of name)/1 = 1/(quality of overall drinking experience)

dude, i solved that as a ratio and got 1=1. i'm confused.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Keith from TTIKTDA

« Reply #53 on: Mar 30, 2006, 02:59:38 AM »

Quote from: "dumbfish"

Whereas expensive gin is the only gin worth drinking, buying expensive vodka is pointless.

This is a downright lie.

Ciroc is awesome.

Also, I have been mixing Vodka and Sudafed.

this was a bad idea.

--Keith

http://www.indiekids.org
(YES! I got a domain!)
jebreject

« Reply #54 on: Mar 30, 2006, 03:56:31 AM »

I think Old Granddad is probably my #1 favourite whiseky

I drank some Cutty Sark Scotch tonight thoug, that was good,.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Gracelette

« Reply #55 on: Mar 30, 2006, 03:57:55 AM »

Quote from: "jebreject"
I think Old Granddad is probably my #1 favourite whiseky

I drank some Cutty Sark Scotch tonight thoug, that was good,.

Sweet jesus, there is such a thing as Cutty Sark Scotch?

The dream!

Gracelette
-x-
jebreject

« Reply #56 on: Mar 30, 2006, 03:58:12 AM »

anlywa, I'm a big fan of bourban especially, I'll have a dark rum or a tequila everyonce in a while but really I'm a good bourban man

Greg Nog

« Reply #57 on: Mar 30, 2006, 07:57:47 AM »

Quote from: "Gracelette"

The dream!

Curious!  Do you have Cutty-Sark-brand other products?

I really like the scotch.  It's been a really long time since I've had any other whisky, until just a couple of weeks ago; when I did, I kinda wanted to spit up, it tasted so sweet.  I guess the smokiness has really grown on me.
dumbfish

« Reply #58 on: Mar 30, 2006, 09:18:22 AM »

Quote from: "Keith from TTIKTDA"

Whereas expensive gin is the only gin worth drinking, buying expensive vodka is pointless.

This is a downright lie.

Here's my logic:  You're supposed to taste gin.  Therefore, gin flavor is something you want done right.  You're not supposed to taste vodka.  Most non-Vladimir vodka lacks flavor, so there's no point in climbing the ladder.

Note that most of the gin I drink is in martinis, which for me are nearly straight gin.  Most vodka I drink is mixed into Caucasians, Marys, and tonics.  So that prolly influences my feelings on the relative importance of flavor in those liquors.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
Gracelette

« Reply #59 on: Mar 30, 2006, 09:46:04 AM »

Quote from: "Greg Nog"
Quote from: "Gracelette"

The dream!

Curious!  Do you have Cutty-Sark-brand other products?

No, but the Cutty Sark is this famous ship museum in a dry dock in Greenwich in London and I used to go there with my family sometimes when I was a kid. They had ship's biscuits (or pretend ship's biscuits but I thought they were real) in barrels and I always *always* wanted to eat one. Instead I had to settle for lemon sorbet in a cone from the ice cream vendor that still apparently sells them outside there now.

But if I could have Cutty Sark scotch, it would be almost the same as having Cutty Sark biscuits.

Almost.

Gracelette
-x-
theartlessmonster

« Reply #60 on: Mar 30, 2006, 10:02:13 AM »

Quote from: "Keith from TTIKTDA"

This is a downright lie.

Here's my logic:  You're supposed to taste gin.  Therefore, gin flavor is something you want done right.  You're not supposed to taste vodka.  Most non-Vladimir vodka lacks flavor, so there's no point in climbing the ladder.

Note that most of the gin I drink is in martinis, which for me are nearly straight gin.  Most vodka I drink is mixed into Caucasians, Marys, and tonics.  So that prolly influences my feelings on the relative importance of flavor in those liquors.

I tend to agree, although they sure do smell different to me, and with one caveat that is, I am into flavored vodka and I like it on the rocks straight up and I can taste the flavor, but yeah not the actual vodka.

Here's another thing that a marketing professor of mine told me once about all alchohol, but I have no idea if its true, he told me that the alcohol kills your taste buds after two drinks anyways so he always said, have the good stuff first then switch and he swore you won't know the diff.

But yeah, gin has a definate taste, my usual drink is pretty much G&T with lime.  

Anyone else feel different alchohol affects them differently, I feel like when I drink vodka I'm more talkative and when I drink gin, I get an edge, like meanish.  Shocked I have no idea if this is valid or I have listened to Dr. Jimmy and Mr. Jim too many times?

When I drink wine I get warm and sleepy, and really like nothing bothers me and I like to hug people.

Anyone else experience this kind of thing?

Don't be a swiss roll.
Greg Nog

« Reply #61 on: Mar 30, 2006, 10:10:42 AM »

Quote from: "theartlessmonster"
Here's another thing that a marketing professor of mine told me once about all alchohol, but I have no idea if its true, he told me that the alcohol kills your taste buds after two drinks anyways so he always said, have the good stuff first then switch and he swore you won't know the diff.

That can't possibly be true, but it's still good advice.  And it comes straight from the Bible!

Quote from: "John 2:10"
Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink.
nonotyet

« Reply #62 on: Mar 30, 2006, 10:24:04 AM »

I've never experienced the tastebuds thing either, but I have a friend who claims that she can't tell the difference between rail alcohol and...uh, not-rail? in mixed drinks, which leads to many scornful looks from her if we are out together and I request Maker's Mark or Grey Goose or something. I have found, and I have no idea if this is even scientifically possible, that the shittier the rail alcohol the worse my hangover the next day. Perhaps the alcohol-responding part of my brain is a total fucking snob?
The_Tourist

« Reply #63 on: Mar 30, 2006, 10:28:51 AM »

Quote from: "nonotyet"
I've never experienced the tastebuds thing either, but I have a friend who claims that she can't tell the difference between rail alcohol and...uh, not-rail? in mixed drinks, which leads to many scornful looks from her if we are out together and I request Maker's Mark or Grey Goose or something. I have found, and I have no idea if this is even scientifically possible, that the shittier the rail alcohol the worse my hangover the next day. Perhaps the alcohol-responding part of my brain is a total fucking snob?

you'd probably be embarrassed to be seen with me...i drink martinis with rail gin.

we have the money for missiles and fun
theartlessmonster

« Reply #64 on: Mar 30, 2006, 10:40:12 AM »

is rail gin like well gin?

Don't be a swiss roll.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #65 on: Mar 30, 2006, 11:56:06 AM »

Anyone else feel different alchohol affects them differently, I feel like when I drink vodka I'm more talkative and when I drink gin, I get an edge, like meanish.  Shocked I have no idea if this is valid or I have listened to Dr. Jimmy and Mr. Jim too many times?

oh shit.

WHEN I'M PILLED, YA DON'T NOTICE HIM
HE ONLY COMES OUT WHEN I DRINK MY GIN!!!

god, that's one of my favorite records of all time.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #66 on: Mar 30, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »

Quote from: "nonotyet"
I have found, and I have no idea if this is even scientifically possible, that the shittier the rail alcohol the worse my hangover the next day. Perhaps the alcohol-responding part of my brain is a total fucking snob?

actually, i'm somewhat sure that this is a legitimate effect and has to do with the relative purity of the higher-quality alcohol. but i could be wrong, and that could just be an urban legend.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #67 on: Mar 30, 2006, 12:02:12 PM »

I don't know the science, but I know that gettin twisted on some Old Crow does not a spiff and sprightly morning after make.

think 'on the road.'
Greg Nog

« Reply #68 on: Mar 30, 2006, 12:32:28 PM »

I feel like when I drink vodka I'm more talkative and when I drink gin, I get an edge, like meanish.

Milk & Cheese agree!
hannah

« Reply #69 on: Apr 01, 2006, 12:43:46 AM »

whiskey sour!!!!!
pk

« Reply #70 on: Apr 01, 2006, 12:55:48 AM »

Let me just back up my niggaz supporting Old Grandad.  I love buying it at the local liquor store because every time I do, the old guy at the counter tells me the EXACT SAME STORY about his high school graduation, when they get hammered on the stuff and drove off the side of the road in Podunk, MD and the cops came and something something you'd think I'd remember the rest because he's told me the story five or six times now but I just smile and zone out.
jebreject

« Reply #71 on: Apr 01, 2006, 10:08:52 AM »

dudes, i abused the liquor bad last night.  i PUKED.  oh my god.  and my friend frank took care of me.  he's a good guy.

RoyBiggins

« Reply #72 on: Apr 01, 2006, 11:29:03 AM »

Mary:  Yes, rail and well are analagous.  And, also, I think you're totally right about different kind of liquors being different kind of drunks.  Wine-drunk is a sleepy drunk for me, vodka drunk is like party drunk and whiskey drunk is laugh-a-lot drunk. Something like that, anyway.

I also have experienced less intense hangovers with better booze.  So, I'm just confirming all sorts of wild speculation here.  Once, my brother and I drank an entire bottle of Grey Goose, and the next day I didn't even feel hung over, except via my bodily functions (see Hannah's latest post in the drunk poster thread).

And, also, Early Times does not make me hung over, which is my argument that that shit is secretly top-shelf liquor.  And, at 14.99 for the 1.75L bottle, that makes it the king of booze.  My love of E.T. knows very few bounds.

14.99!  C'mon!  It's the size of a listerine bottle! And, actually, a lot like one.  But easier to open.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
SPACERACE

« Reply #73 on: Apr 01, 2006, 01:07:57 PM »

dude, that's the most flawed-ass vodka logic i ever heard. first, dirt cheap vodka tastes like socks becausethe alcohol in it is really not very pure at all, but more importantly, the texture between a decent vodka and the ABC special is incomparable. besides, saying you're "not supposed to taste" any sort of drink is a bit off, because alcohol tastes pretty strong, and i'd sure like it not to taste like death + gym shower floor.

Supplier of highest-quality synthetic duck butter
jebreject

« Reply #74 on: Apr 01, 2006, 05:42:46 PM »

Early Times is what I drank last night, and I've been hangover free all day today.  And I was fucking DRUNK last night, guys.  Seriously.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Alcohol
Jump to: