Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:12:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657220 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 64 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Jon Stewart hands Tucker Carlson his ASS.  (Read 4701 times)
elpollodiablo

« on: Oct 16, 2004, 06:43:12 AM »

I remember when Jon Stewart took over the Daily Show. Craig Kilborn, frustrated with his position as host of a very funny and underrated program, moved onto what he supposed would be greener broadcast pastures, leaving the then virtually unknown comic to fill the void. No one expected very much from him; the Daily had long-struggled, and it was expected that Stewart would go down with the ship. I took an immediate dislike to the man, and I still contend that Kilborn was the funnier of the two. I was as surprised as anyone when the show started to pull ahead in the ratings. Now the Daily Show is highly acclaimed, winning Emmys and pulling in guests like Clinton and Senator Kerry. Whodathunkit?
I really don't watch TV. All of my news comes from the Guardian and NPR, and beyond that, the Simpsons is the only program I regularly tune into. My only real guilty pleasure is cable news, which I'll turn on at work in the lobby for the sunken-eyed business travelers that flood in every morning. Fox is my favorite, for obvious reasons: When the Daily Show isn't on, it's the funniest news-related programming available.
I just happened to turn on CNN yesterday afternoon, though, and caught Crossfire, the network's bipartisan "debate" format show. Every cable news network has one of these programs: MSNBC has Hardball, Fox News has the oft-hilarious Hannity and Colmes. Crossfire used to have James Carville, a favorite of mine, but he has been replaced by Paul Begala, who has no discernable personality. Tucker Carlson, the bow-tied shitbrick and consummate republican lackey, sits on the right.
I imagine when the show's producers booked Jon Stewart to talk about his new satirical textbook America: The Book, they expected he would be his usual jocular self, the one they'd come to know four nights a week on Comedy Central. He'd make a few jokes, garner some easy laughs on such subjects as the president and the election, plug his book, and be out the door.
Thing is, ol' Jonny came out swinging. As far as unscripted, candid interviews go, this is one of the best I've seen on any news program ever. Stewart won more of my respect with thirty minutes of tenacity than he could in four or five seasons of hosting the Daily Show. Among the highlights: Stewart says that Crossfire and similar debate-style programs are nothing less than "theatre" and such bipartisan pandering "is hurting America." When Carlson tries to call Stewart on the manner in which he 'went easy' on Kerry during their recent interview, Stewart replies that he doesn't have any sort of journalistic commitment: "You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls." He also calls Tucker Carlson a dick.

You can read the whole transcript here, and it really is worth your time. I'm waiting to see how many news outlets actually pick up on this, because it really was sort of an unprecedented thing for CNN.... I doubt they'll be inviting him back any time soon.[/url]

think 'on the road.'
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2004, 09:37:35 AM »

http://www.ifilm.com/filmdetail?ifilmid=2652831&htv=12

watch it there

I think he's pretty good, and I like his point, but i don't like the 'omg why don't you take me seriously/hey, back off, don't take me too seriously, i'm just a comedian' routine too much...

Puddle Pants
Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2004, 10:42:50 AM »

Get a bit torrent client and download the whole thing here:
http://bitflood.org:8080/?file=791b2f5d95a54d1381b85f271b51f71e73964185

You have to watch it, the transcript doesn't do it justice. Carlson trying to "get" Stewart by saying he wasn't being funny, that he was 'lecturing', meanwhile the audience was launghing heartily everytime Stewart spoke, that pure, relaxed laugh of yes finally, someone said that, so true, so true
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2004, 10:50:53 AM »

slime--i don't think that's exactly what he was saying. i think he was talking to the crossfire guys about what he thought their show SHOULD be doing as opposed to what it DOES, and they (mostly carlson) tried to go ad hominem on him and tell him that since he didn't do the things he wanted them to do on his own show, that he was wrong to say that to them.

but i think stewart's right. crossfire's purpose is way different from the daily show's purpose. the daily show is there to make fun of the news. crossfire is supposed to BE the news. i think that's all he was saying.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
trailofmusic

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2004, 01:42:29 PM »

http://www.contemporaryinsanity.org/video/

there it is for non-torrent people
El_Josharino

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2004, 02:26:37 PM »

I enjoyed how he explained things to them the same way a mother explains things to a 4 year old, like the bit about "the process" when they asked him if Kerry was the best democratic candidate.

"You are partisan... what do you call it.... hacks."

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
justinh

« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2004, 05:59:05 PM »

yeah, that was great.  i read the john stewart interview in rolling stone today and i've gotta say that i really respect what he was trying to do, as far as drawing attention to the whole stupid apparatus of the media coverage of politics and the problems inherent when you address politics via entertainment and "theater", to use stewart's word.  and he's FUNNY while doing it. brilliant!
Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2004, 11:55:46 AM »

Stewart's Daily Show segment about the Crossfire experience:
http://shell.exo.com/~boogah/junkdrawer/Daily_Show-Crossfire_Fallout.mov
mackro

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:21:01 PM »

couldn't download.  Scared, shocked

...which give it a colonic appeal and the awkward sense that you might be a suppository.
Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:25:25 PM »

Yeah I thought it wasn't working but I let it try for awhile, and eventually it downloaded. I dunno, I'm guessing the server is getting pummeled.
Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:34:23 PM »

Tiny quicktime version:

http://www.looptvandfilm.com/blog/dailycross.mov

The link I posted a few posts ago is better though, if you can get it to work. If not, this one seems to work well.
mackro

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:40:53 PM »

Yay! Heart

(Loving the new yellowmoticons)

Toothy smile

...which give it a colonic appeal and the awkward sense that you might be a suppository.
mackro

« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2004, 12:46:54 PM »

(OK, now I regret not having cable tv...  that was great.)

trailofmusic

« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2004, 02:32:03 PM »

He made little comments and references throughout the episode too (at one point clarifying that he thought all 4 of the guys were dicks, not just Carlson)
sedita

« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2004, 02:56:54 PM »

JON STEWART IS MY NEW FUCKING HERO.

f'realz.

so remember, on a scale from one to awesome, i'm super great.
crystalcakes

« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2004, 06:06:59 PM »

okay, jon stewart is awesome.  i have loved him since he did "you wrote it, you watch it" on mtv.  craig kilbourne is a misogynist ass and i am glad he is away from my good tv.  

jon stewart's showing on crossfire was great.  

now for the embarrassing part.  i actually confessed this to my friend who reads these forums first so that it would take the edge off of him reading it here.  the first time i saw tucker carlson on tv i said (outloud) "whoa!  that guy is HOTT".  my boyfriend looked at me like i had just broken his heart.  this was years ago when i knew of carlson but had never seen him.  my boyfriend then gave me a long lecture on why i can not, in anyway find this guy attractive.  i must say though, some deep, dark part of me- the part most girls reserve for liking bad boy types, still finds him very hot.  with two Ts.  sometimes 3.  smoking, nerd-ass hot.  just turn off the sound.  when he talks it all washes away.  

sometimes i think of pulling a james carville and going for someone completely the opposite of me in every way of thinking.  luckily these are fleeting thoughts.

Quote from: "John"
life is now worthless and I am going to eat cat food & die
heather
« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2004, 07:51:21 PM »

His gd bowtie.  Growl

anyone know where i can find the jon stewart/o'reilly clip?
mackro

« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2004, 08:36:38 PM »

crystal.. while I can't, uh, personally relate to crushing on tucker carlson ( Hrumph ), I do have a left leaning friend who used to find Rush Limbaugh hot.  Not anymore though.  Apparently, somewhere during his tragedy regarding his hearing condition, the pain killers, and his bucking the party line given the circumstances of the current administration, she finally lost her crush for him after almost seven years.  Poor Rush.

Keith from TTIKTDA

« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2004, 08:38:06 PM »

Quote from: "crystalcakes"
the first time i saw tucker carlson on tv i said (outloud) "whoa!  that guy is HOTT".  my boyfriend looked at me like i had just broken his heart.  this was years ago when i knew of carlson but had never seen him.  my boyfriend then gave me a long lecture on why i can not, in anyway find this guy attractive.  i must say though, some deep, dark part of me- the part most girls reserve for liking bad boy types, still finds him very hot.  with two Ts.  sometimes 3.  smoking, nerd-ass hot.

I have heard this from many people. I do not comprehend it, but I have heard it before. Often.

--Keith

http://www.indiekids.org
(YES! I got a domain!)
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2004, 08:43:19 PM »

for the record, i can't get the first daily show crossfire segment to download, and the second one is both pictureless and soundless. apparently i don't have the "required compressor". fuck quicktime.

Lalitree
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2004, 08:44:51 PM »

Andrew, I think you can stream them both from the iFilm website.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2004, 08:46:11 PM »

oh killer. thanks!

boganlux

« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2004, 09:27:05 PM »

Quote from: "mackro"
crystal.. while I can't, uh, personally relate to crushing on tucker carlson ( Hrumph ), I do have a left leaning friend who used to find Rush Limbaugh hot.  Not anymore though.  Apparently, somewhere during his tragedy regarding his hearing condition, the pain killers, and his bucking the party line given the circumstances of the current administration, she finally lost her crush for him after almost seven years.  Poor Rush.

Rush has bucked the party line? Not that I ever listen to him, but I think I would've heard that.
mackro

« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2004, 11:08:34 PM »

Aie, I probably used the wrong term, I meant Rush has been continuing to be all pro-Bush, given the circumstances.  Rush likes to make himself out to be an "independent" thinker, when in fact, he sucks Bush cock moreso than most.... so, uh, that's what I meant by "buck".   Question

jebreject

« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2004, 11:49:57 PM »

toe the party line?  tow?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: Jon Stewart hands Tucker Carlson his ASS.
Jump to: