Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 90 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Band Names you have on hand, just in case.....  (Read 41094 times)
the living dead!

« Reply #150 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:39:07 PM »

Peanut Butter And Jet Li

end quote
the living dead!

« Reply #151 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:42:08 PM »

MC Babyfeet

end quote
Chet

« Reply #152 on: Mar 30, 2006, 01:48:16 PM »

You'll Never Be Paul McStay With That Haircut

"You need to put some clothes on and eat some food."
Trousers and Pat

« Reply #153 on: Mar 30, 2006, 05:51:31 PM »

Pearl Harbor

(I had forgotten this until recently, I think it was a band that a friend and I were going to start if we went to Japan... Or something. It doesn't really make sense to me now.)

I practice nonviolence, but I preach... ALRIGHT
jebreject

« Reply #154 on: Mar 30, 2006, 05:57:17 PM »

Pearl S. Buck Harbor

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
shai faithe

« Reply #155 on: Mar 30, 2006, 07:26:59 PM »

Quote from: "the living dead!"
MC Babyfeet

i've actually done a few battles with the name mc (fill in the blank with a serious actor).  my favorite was mc marlon brando.
also:

people hearts can't be repaired, fish hearts can

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #156 on: Mar 31, 2006, 02:52:58 AM »

Quote from: "jebreject"
Pearl S. Buck Harbor

i like "Minnie Pearl Harbor" a little better.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
jebreject

« Reply #157 on: Mar 31, 2006, 02:59:48 AM »

yeah, that is better.

jebreject

« Reply #158 on: Mar 31, 2006, 03:00:05 AM »

how about "the pearl s. buck stops here"

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #159 on: Mar 31, 2006, 08:36:56 AM »

I kept a text file a while back of band name ideas I had.  I just located it for the purpose of posting in this thread and realized that they're all nerdy shit I got out of comic books (and that there are only 4 of them, so my attention span for that project was fairly short).  And here they are:

Thor Needs Virgins
Alien Love Messiah
Skartaris Nightlife
Freakbeat Vivaldi

Also, on another board recently there was a thread with a bunch of crappy band name suggestions and the only one that caught my eye was Goatsoda, which tickled me for some bizarre reason.  I don't think I'd listen to a band named Goatsoda but I can picture them being the soundtrack to a new Mountain Dew commercial or something.

My buddy Mike has always said that if he were in a band it would be called Naked Love Beat.  Knowing Mike, their sound would probably be somewhere between OMD and early Duran Duran.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
alistarr*

« Reply #160 on: Mar 31, 2006, 08:41:53 AM »

Quote from: "YojimboMonkey"
Also, on another board recently...

keep that shit away from me.

oh, and

Bonky Squirrel
Kreuger Kreuger
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #161 on: Mar 31, 2006, 11:15:25 AM »

Freakbeat Vivaldi

this was from comics? i want to hear more about whatever comic you got that from!

YojimboMonkey

« Reply #162 on: Mar 31, 2006, 12:14:08 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew_TSKS"
Freakbeat Vivaldi

this was from comics? i want to hear more about whatever comic you got that from!

That was from Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol, from the late '80s.  Issue #23, "The Butterfly Collector."  This is I believe after the strange meta-narrative of Orqwith (in which a group of philosophers write a book about a fictional city that becomes real, then, guess what?  Their fictional city starts to become real and take over their reality) and during his run-up to the Brotherhood of Dada trying to rewrite the universe and physical law according to dadaist principles.  Grant Morrison is a weirdo.  Anyway, this issue was the first of two about this guy named Red Jack.  This guy:

He's kidnapped one of the Doom Patrol members from the hospital and brought her to his lair.  Oh, and here's how they find his lair (I find this fascinating, but I'm a nerd--you can skip it if you want).  

"Crazy Jane" runs into a bookstore, grabs an armload of books, cuts the pages into tatters with some scissors and throws them into the air.  

Quote from: "Crazy Jane"
Random words.  Cut phrases.  It's a kind of divination, like casting the runes or reading the flight of birds.  Only with words.  

Shuffle them.  See how they fall?  Like snow.  

...You see now?  The presence begins to reveal itself in the casual rearrangement of the text fragments.  It becomes a kind of seance to contact the living.  Listen:  

Strange doctors of pain. History, wake up!  

Alchemy starts in the hour of the knife.  The butterfly labyrinth was no accident.  

The skinned retina I plucked from my mother's forehead when I was a boy.  Oh have you seen the devle with his violet mikerscope and aesthetic scalpul.  The satanic Dr. Stanley favours the entrails of fear.  

The appeal of the Michaelmas girls subjected to the murdering martyrs.  Only a grave in Mitre Square.  

The mortuary in old Montague street in which he weighs the souls of fireworks or galaxies.  The autumn of terror falls to pieces.  Ruthless prophecies of the secret city.  The blue signature of strange attractors.  Good night, Mary.  Up sidles Jack.

The word is murder, old boss.

So they conclude from this that the culprit is Jack the Ripper.  They open the nearest door and step into his lair.

The decor is bizarre--butterflies encased in glass pinned to cork boards cover every wall.  The butterflies' wings still move, feebly--Red Jack apparently feeds on pain.  And there's music.  "The music comes in waves.  Freakbeat Vivaldi sampled and spliced together with the screams of murdered women and butterflies.  And wedding bells.  The clamor of wedding bells."

Grant Morrison is always interesting.  He does tend to revisit the same ideas quite a bit, but they're different, more interesting ideas than many comic creators are exploring, so I guess I can forgive that.

Anyway, that's a long enough derail, back to the cool band names.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #163 on: Mar 31, 2006, 01:01:50 PM »

no, that was awesome dude! thanks for the explanation. that makes me want to finally go ahead and read the volumes of the invisibles that we have at my store. haha.

Greg Nog

« Reply #164 on: Apr 04, 2006, 09:12:37 PM »

RoyBiggins, after reading this article, I would like to suggest that you call your band "Balls Into Bone".
dumbfish

« Reply #165 on: Apr 04, 2006, 10:20:19 PM »

Smooth Jews
Nog's great idea, lost to the mists of reefer.

Love is awesome and has only Darko to fight for rebounds.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #166 on: Apr 04, 2006, 10:28:38 PM »

That Smooth Jew story will make me laugh until the end of my days.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #167 on: Apr 05, 2006, 02:16:38 AM »

huh? what "smooth jew" story? i missed this one.

god, only 4 more posts to go. i better choose wisely.

Wally

« Reply #168 on: Apr 05, 2006, 02:20:36 AM »

huh? what "smooth jew" story? i missed this one.

god, only 4 more posts to go. i better choose wisely.

One day Greg was drunk and wrote the words smooth jew onto a piece of paper, when he rose he saw the paper and did not know what the fuck the words could mean. Everyday since he has refered to a good drunken idea which reveals it's flaws in sobriety as a "smooth jew". He told the story better else where but balls if I can be bothered to look for it.

Do not choose your final four wisely. Our hearts can not take this tension.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #169 on: Apr 05, 2006, 02:29:48 AM »

yeah, i just read the story actually. i have been reading threads in the wrong order, apparently. or rather, threads got bumped in the wrong order.

and by the way wally, i kinda want to go to bed tonight with my post count at 9999 and then come back tomorrow and make some insane post that leaves it at 10000 and then leave again.

but who am i kidding, i've got nothing. nothing at all. my 10000th post will probably be anticlimactic on a level unseen since star wars episode one.

Wally

« Reply #170 on: Apr 05, 2006, 02:48:25 AM »

yeah, i just read the story actually. i have been reading threads in the wrong order, apparently. or rather, threads got bumped in the wrong order.

and by the way wally, i kinda want to go to bed tonight with my post count at 9999 and then come back tomorrow and make some insane post that leaves it at 10000 and then leave again.

but who am i kidding, i've got nothing. nothing at all. my 10000th post will probably be anticlimactic on a level unseen since star wars episode one.

a) I was trying to help. Sort of.

b) NO NO NO NO, you sweet juicy drippings don't leave it hanging the day will not come to end until until until? what now? yes 5 figures, I want five fingers right up there.

c) No comment.

Thus begin the chronicles of the Self-Loathing Gay Commando.
alistarr*

« Reply #171 on: Apr 05, 2006, 05:00:38 AM »

when i hadn't yet seen this movie, my friend described it to me thus: "the biggest disappointment of my life". in retrospect the description - and the sadness in his eyes as he said it - holds true (to say nothing of its near poetic simplistic beauty).
RoyBiggins

« Reply #172 on: Apr 05, 2006, 08:56:27 AM »

You should probably just post a large, disappointing part of the script from Episode 1.  Or, make a list of the most anticlimactic things you can think of.  Or just a single line that says "Fuck this, Bitches.  10K and I'm out!" and then change your name to Jack and talk about Queensryche for 10K more.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
alistarr*

« Reply #173 on: Apr 05, 2006, 09:36:49 AM »

Quote from: "RoyBiggins"
You should probably just post a large, disappointing part of the script from Episode 1.  Or, make a list of the most anticlimactic things you can think of.  Or just a single line that says "Fuck this, Bitches.  10K and I'm out!" and then change your name to Jack and talk about Queensryche for 10K more.

the only problem being that the script from episode one is too flimsy for any of it to be called "large"
alistarr*

« Reply #174 on: Apr 05, 2006, 09:37:21 AM »

in fact, did they even write a script first? or was it more of a scrawl-on-bar-napkin type deal?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: Band Names you have on hand, just in case.....
Jump to: