Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:00:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657250 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 90 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RIP Jhonn Balance  (Read 2063 times)
Ah_Pook

« on: Nov 15, 2004, 03:36:14 PM »

We are greatly saddened to have to you that at about 5.30 pm Saturday Nov 13th, Jhonn Balance, was killed in an accident at home.

Under the influence of alcohol he fell from the first floor landing, hitting his head on the floor some 15ft below.

Peter/Sleazy who was in the front room heard the noise, came out investigate and found him unconscious, though still breathing.

Balance was rushed to hospital, where his condition deteriorated, and he died soon after, without ever regaining consciousness.

There is no suggestion that this event was in any way deliberate, in fact, anything other than a tragic accident.

Unusually, Balance had been cheerfull during the day, and was looking forward to seeing Ian at the weekend, and working on new recordings this week.

Our awareness that physical death is not an end, but mearly a transition to a whole different part of existence, a new adventure, should by now be clear to everyone.

Jhonn has simply crossed over the Threshold...

As Thomas Olson wrote this morning: "Listening to some Coil songs now, and they are all sounding to me now as if they were written for this moment...."

Nevertheless the parting will be hard for us all. Fortunately there is much to be done that will keep us busy in the next few difficult weeks.

When we have more details we will post them.

www.thresholdhouse.com

Sad

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
TheNames

« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2004, 03:37:58 PM »

http://lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=710 too

If I had a nickel for every cigarette your mother smoked...
I'd be dead.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2004, 03:40:10 PM »

bah! departure lounge is for squares.

im grieving in here.

TheNames

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2004, 03:48:49 PM »

Departure Lounge also sounds like a waiting room for Death, which makes it kind of a creepy place to grieve over a dude who made such amazingly unsettling music, so I think I'll join you here.

I'd be dead.
TheNames

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2004, 03:57:15 PM »

lines like:
"As I fell into the water
I slipped and broke my aura"
and
"Pay your respects to the vultures
For they are your future"
are particularly chilling on days like today.

I'd be dead.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2004, 04:04:21 PM »

im pretty glad i got to see them live some times before this happened.

i think i might listen to a whole lot of coil now. it seems as if it will be an upsetting/unsettling thing to do but yknow.

man this really sucks. theyre my favorite band and everything. i just sort of thought they would live forever i guess. balance has been through so much shit and just sorta came out alright, i figured he was invincible at this point.

Keith from TTIKTDA

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2004, 04:06:58 PM »

Is this the beginning of LPTJ interforum beef?

--Keith

http://www.indiekids.org
(YES! I got a domain!)
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2004, 05:19:47 PM »

He's the guy from Coil?

Scatology rocks  Sad

Puddle Pants
Ah_Pook

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2004, 05:23:24 PM »

np: Coil - The Autoasphyxiating Hierophant

Crying or Very sad

edit: shit Amethyst Deceivers just came on. this is killing me.

TheNames

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2004, 05:38:24 PM »

that was one of the first Coil CDs I bought (that, time machines, and horse rotorvator). I remember being 16 years old and ridiculously excited by the fact that i actually found a Coil cd. I already had a bunch of random tracks (thanks to Napster) but they weren't stocked in any of the local record stores (in new orleans, for X's sake!! aren't we supposed to be the american goth city?).  My then g/f and I were taking summer classes at a college in Birmingham and we went to a mom n' pop place to browse. Not only did they have a Coil section, but they had THREE DIFFERENT ALBUMS!!  I bought them all and proceeded to annoy my girlfriend by playing the hell out of them, particularly the amethyst deceivers single, and going on about how brilliant they were and how I wished more bands could make music that was simultaneously wildly experimental and moving.
I even played "Auto-Asphyxiating Hierophant" for my music fundamentals class as an example of "symphonic" music that relied heavily on timbre.
At least John released as much music as he did.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to fully digest the daunting Coil catalogue.

I'd be dead.
mackro

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2004, 05:55:30 PM »

The image that will be ingrained in my mind is the video to their cover of Soft Cell's cover of "Tainted Love".   Seeing John Balance dressed like a school boy, putting a handkerchief caked in honey and dead flies onto his very clean forehead while singing this dirgey version, and watching this one dangling dead fly hang from one of his short hairs before dropping back to the table.  That and the evil Marc Almond cameo in the hospital bed room.   Excellent video.  One of the best music videos ever made. (directed by Peter Christopherson, unsurprisingly)

...which give it a colonic appeal and the awkward sense that you might be a suppository.
giant_robot7

« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2004, 08:22:49 AM »

this is terrible...Coil have been one of my favorite bands for the last couple of years, and now when I'm finally on the verge of seeing them play (at ATP no less) a tragedy like this occurs.

I'm all for listening to their most unsettling material on loop for a long time. It just seems like the most appropriate way to grieve.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2005, 12:10:31 AM »

i got this in the mail today

Crying or Very sad

Pages: [1]
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: RIP Jhonn Balance
Jump to: