Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:06:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657239 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 82 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: More Talk of Comics  (Read 32181 times)
Anne the Man

« Reply #300 on: Jun 02, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »

And I read Ghost World today. It was okay, but I swear they do nothing but complain throughout, which I found a)unrealistic and b)annoying.

hahahahahaha. maybe you're too close to the subject to get a proper view of it, but don't you think teenagers pretty much complain constantly? i know i did.

Maybe, I complain a lot as well, but there are long conversations in between with friends that consist of much OH MY GOD THAT'S AWESOME AND THAT'S AWESOME AS WELL AND HAVE YOU READ AWESOME ISN'T IT AWESOME AND THAT PHILOSOPHICAL POINT YOU JUST MADE IS AWESOME etc. I mean, me and mine are a fairly unusual bunch, but still.

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
coldforge

« Reply #301 on: Jun 02, 2008, 10:29:13 AM »

And I read Ghost World today. It was okay, but I swear they do nothing but complain throughout, which I found a)unrealistic and b)annoying.

hahahahahaha. maybe you're too close to the subject to get a proper view of it, but don't you think teenagers pretty much complain constantly? i know i did.

Maybe, I complain a lot as well, but there are long conversations in between with friends that consist of much OH MY GOD THAT'S AWESOME AND THAT'S AWESOME AS WELL AND HAVE YOU READ AWESOME ISN'T IT AWESOME AND THAT PHILOSOPHICAL POINT YOU JUST MADE IS AWESOME etc. I mean, me and mine are a fairly unusual bunch, but still.

Man, now that right there is a comic book I sure would enjoy myself to reading.

l'era del terzo mondo.
coldforge

« Reply #302 on: Jun 02, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »

I don't want to be rude, but I was being sarcastic. Not that your friends aren't probably lovely people, but in my experience comic books that consist entirely or nearly entirely of smart, handsome people being clever to each other and agreeing that lots of things are cool (Jeph Jacques, from hell's heart I stab at thee) tend to make my eyes turn red.

l'era del terzo mondo.
Greg Nog

« Reply #303 on: Jun 02, 2008, 03:42:48 PM »

Quote from: Roast Beef
Men in neckties do not wish to be hugged.
jebreject

« Reply #304 on: Jun 02, 2008, 04:44:20 PM »

I don't want to be rude, but I was being sarcastic. Not that your friends aren't probably lovely people, but in my experience comic books that consist entirely or nearly entirely of smart, handsome people being clever to each other and agreeing that lots of things are cool (Jeph Jacques, from hell's heart I stab at thee) tend to make my eyes turn red.

I thought they were red in the first place

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Anne the Man

« Reply #305 on: Jun 03, 2008, 09:16:49 AM »

Yeah, but can't you find a healthy realistic balance?

Hey jerks, mind if I watch you jerks do your jerk-bending?
jebreject

« Reply #306 on: Jun 03, 2008, 11:31:19 AM »

I'm not sure I want my art to be just like real life

Sometimes I'd rather it not be anything like it

Greg Nog

« Reply #307 on: Jun 03, 2008, 11:38:09 AM »

A healthy balance between young people complaining and saying "That's awesome!" all the time, mixed with a total disregard for reality?  What you're looking for is the Scott Pilgrim comics.
jebreject

« Reply #308 on: Jun 03, 2008, 11:54:06 AM »

Everyone wins, eh?

Greg Nog

« Reply #309 on: Jun 03, 2008, 11:59:31 AM »

Everyone except Ramona's SEVEN EVIL EXES
RoyBiggins

« Reply #310 on: Jun 03, 2008, 12:04:40 PM »

Goddamn, Scott Pilgrim is good.  Lucy lent them to me, and I'm only on 3, but man.  MAN.  Sex Bob-omb.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
Greg Nog

« Reply #311 on: Jun 03, 2008, 12:23:38 PM »

This comic shop opened up right near me, and it's run by a guy named Gideon.  When Westphal told me about the place, I was like, "Wait... Gideon... New York... comics... That guy is THE FINAL BOSS!"

Volume 3's pretty excellent, but I think Volume 4 might be my favorite since the first one.  Scott learns how to gain Experience through a Job System.
RoyBiggins

« Reply #312 on: Jun 03, 2008, 02:43:33 PM »

There are only  4 our now, right?  That's a cruel thing to do to a brotha.

This year's Village Voice Jizz and Pap list had a whole lot of birds I'd never even heard of before.
Greg Nog

« Reply #313 on: Jun 03, 2008, 03:34:33 PM »

Only 4, yep.  But O' Malley's still truckin' along, putting out roughly one per year.  Maybe it's just 'cause so many people burn out before their promised stories are done (REPLACEMENT GOD, I AM READY TO FIGHT), but I've been delighted by the relative regularity of the Scott Pilgrim output.  Also, Roy, I'm sure this tickles your fancy: the underage high-school girl continues to be part of the story throughout Book 4.

Also, Book 4 opens with a full-color section at the beach!
Babar

« Reply #314 on: Jun 03, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »

ok, greg, i have recently read this whole thread and you have quite a few posts in it, but they are all about Scott Pilgrim. Do you read any other comics? This is not a jab at you or anything, just curious.

Oh man, I'm gonna have cause to regret this post. I know it.
Greg Nog

« Reply #315 on: Jun 03, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »

I read other things, sure!  But Scott Pilgrim is my favorite one of the past few years.

Let's see... lately, I've read:

The Curse of The Umbrella
, by Lewis Trondheim.  A bunch of single-page autobio stories that are quite excellent.  The dude's good at capturing amusing yet unimportant moments, telling small stories succinctly.

Re-read Leviathan, by Peter Blegvad.  Fucking incredible, endlessly inventive, frequently hilarious, strips about a baby with no face.  Incredibly playful with language in a way that you usually don't see in comics, and subtlely-terrifying drawing that makes Edward Gorey look like the one-note hack he is.

I read a bunch of the Perry Bible Fellowship comics, though I think I'd already read all those online; I just bought the book The Trial Of Colonel Sweeto, was all.

I'm currently reading 52, but there's not a whole lot to say about it.  It's entertaining enough, but nothing too groundbreaking or thrilling.  Maybe it gets better.  Along the same lines, I've read a few individual issues of superhero stuff here and there, lately, and it's been all right, but nothing I'm jazzed about picking up on a regular basis. 

I dunno, are there a lot of great things coming out these days that I'm just totally unaware of?  It seems like comics are at a particularly infertile time right now.  Even brilliant old standbys like Chris Ware just seem to be treading water rather than doing anything really super (picture Jimmy Corrigan, but FEMALE!  And with only ONE LEG!), and a lot of the stuff that various hip news outlets are giving a lot of acclaim (like, say, the incredibly overhyped amateur-hour that was Persepolis) don't really strike me as well-done so much as Socially Relevant And Hey Let's Do A News Story On This So Our Bourgeois Readers Can Feel Like They're Paying Attention.

These days, it seems like I'm looking more into older stuff (I was recently totally impressed with all the Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge comics, and I just picked up some Tintin and Asterix books, though I haven't gotten around to reading them yet (sorry alex)).  I don't know.  I wasn't planning on going to MOCCA this weekend, mainly 'cause I haven't had anyone telling me about anything really exciting happening in comics recently.

If I bring up Scott Pilgrim more than anything else, it's only 'cause it's a currently-published comic that I'm particularly impressed with.  It's obnoxiously common to see a young man making comics about being a young man, talking about playing in a rock band, dating girls, hanging out with friends, etc.  It's rare to see it done in such a consistently-charming fashion that isn't just Main Character Standing In For Author In Belabored Wish-Fulfillment Fantasy.

what up, Adrian Tomine, yes wish fulfillment also includes the romanticization of depressed dude alone at night in a diner
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #316 on: Jun 03, 2008, 09:59:16 PM »

personally i'm thinking david lapham's "young liars" is looking very promising, and of course i'm stoked on almost everything warren ellis is currently doing ("anna mercury" hasn't impressed me, but i've only read one issue), particularly his current weekly internet comic freakangels, and uh, doktor sleepless (which a lot of other people aren't as interested in because it's "just transmetropolitan all over again", except that it's SO not and those people are crazy). i'm waiting for bendis's "secret invasion" comic to blow me away, and although it hasn't yet, i've liked the tie-in issues of "mighty avengers" A LOT. those issues are a good bit better than the actual "secret invasion" comic, if you ask me. at least, so far they are. dc are screwing grant morrison by forcing him to write tiny micro-sections of multi-title batman crossovers, and i'm not happy about that at all (fuck you dc, i'm not gonna buy issues of nightwing and robin, and you can't make me!), and the 3-times-a-month "amazing spider-man" scheduling is every bit the inconsistent frustration-a-thon that i predicted it would be. joe hill's "locke and key" is awesome so far, and i can only imagine that it's gonna get better. joss whedon needs to stop dragging his feet on his current arc of "runaways". it's amazing, but one issue every three months ain't cutting it. "dmz" and "scalped" have been awesome month in and month out since they started. this hasn't changed.

there, those are some recommendations (and some non-recommendations) for currently-running comics.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Greg Nog

« Reply #317 on: Jun 03, 2008, 11:29:57 PM »

Hm.  I'll look into some of those.  Warren Ellis kind of lost me with Gritty Detective In The City comic number 475, I forget what the title was.
DCDave

« Reply #318 on: Jun 04, 2008, 06:18:49 AM »

Fell (Dublin is awesome, but Dalkey is nicer guys.)

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Robert

« Reply #319 on: Jun 04, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »

Dude, I've got both volumes of the DC Comics Showcase collections of The Legion of Super-Heroes, and I pretty much cannot stop reading them.

I am a total mark for Silver-Age Superman / Superboy related titles, admittedly, but these stories are great, and they get even stronger when Superboy starts appearing less.

Damn.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #320 on: Jun 04, 2008, 02:03:26 PM »

personally i'm thinking david lapham's "young liars" is looking very promising, and of course i'm stoked on almost everything warren ellis is currently doing ("anna mercury" hasn't impressed me, but i've only read one issue), particularly his current weekly internet comic freakangels, and uh, doktor sleepless (which a lot of other people aren't as interested in because it's "just transmetropolitan all over again", except that it's SO not and those people are crazy). i'm waiting for bendis's "secret invasion" comic to blow me away, and although it hasn't yet, i've liked the tie-in issues of "mighty avengers" A LOT. those issues are a good bit better than the actual "secret invasion" comic, if you ask me. at least, so far they are. dc are screwing grant morrison by forcing him to write tiny micro-sections of multi-title batman crossovers, and i'm not happy about that at all (fuck you dc, i'm not gonna buy issues of nightwing and robin, and you can't make me!), and the 3-times-a-month "amazing spider-man" scheduling is every bit the inconsistent frustration-a-thon that i predicted it would be. joe hill's "locke and key" is awesome so far, and i can only imagine that it's gonna get better. joss whedon needs to stop dragging his feet on his current arc of "runaways". it's amazing, but one issue every three months ain't cutting it. "dmz" and "scalped" have been awesome month in and month out since they started. this hasn't changed.

there, those are some recommendations (and some non-recommendations) for currently-running comics.

I don't know much of Lapham's work, but I do know Stray Bullets which is an excellent, excellent book. It was the only run of single books I ever collected, though I only ever got up through like issue #20. I should start buying the trades; those were great fucking stories.

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #321 on: Jun 12, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »

i hate to tell you, but there are only trades for the first 14 issues. i think there were 40 issues, total.

elpollodiablo

« Reply #322 on: Jun 17, 2008, 03:25:47 PM »

Really?! Fuck, why?

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #323 on: Jun 17, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »

shit, i was wrong anyway. i guess only the first two volumes were out when i ordered "stray bullets" trades for my store, and i haven't kept up. it's actually compiled in some form up to issue 32. there were three of the bigger trade paperbacks, collecting up to issue 21, and then there are 8 smaller trades collecting 4 issues each. so if you get the three big ones, you can get the last three of the small ones and get up to issue 32. titles and isbn and such are on the stray bullets wikipedia page.

but yeah, el capitan, the publisher, is basically david lapham's self-publishing company, so availability of these books is spotty at best.

Almanzo

« Reply #324 on: Jun 17, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »

Kevin Huizenga's Ganges #2 is pretty great, and #1 is worth picking up if you can find it. I wasn't really sold on the Curses collection, but the Ganges stuff has gotten way better.

I think that Anna Mercury, though by-the-numbers, is really promising based on issue 1.

I've liked Ellis' Black Summer a lot, though that should be wrapping up soon.

Sodomize Intolerance
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: More Talk of Comics
Jump to: