Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 20, 2014, 09:18:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 71 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
Print
Author Topic: video games you're currently about  (Read 28727 times)
andronicus

« Reply #450 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:59:48 AM »

Inflation actually is a little unbalanced to me as a way of modeling and as a way of controlling player behavior in the game.  On the one hand, it's a good way to keep the player realistic.  No, Mecklenburg, you can't deficit spend your way into being an industrial/military power in the 17th century.  Play to your strengths, take the opportunities you can, but maybe playing EU as a minor just means you have to be bored for a while and watch the majors play.  A long while.  The economy is limiting your ability to play in ways that you don't understand, which is consistent with history, I mean it's not like England has monetarists controlling the supply of pounds to prevent inflation right.  At the same time, a lot of dodgy banking practices favored the rulers too (like, hey forgive this loan or I will take all your other money) which EU never models.  It would be nice to see the option to force a loan forgiveness for a doubling of interest rate on new loans a couple times. 

But yeah, if you want to play the whole game as the premier mover and shaker of the world, you have to pick a premier country.  There are a few countries in each game which can be taken from second (or even third) tier status to top tier, but it's hard work.  Prussia is kind of a country that is designed to be a second-tier that takes you places.  The Netherlands, if you play from an early state, is an excellent second-tier power that can result in you just dominating the competition (I once colonized all of the United States with it, as well as most of the Far East, and ended the game pushing my way down Mexico into South America against a weak Spain).  Sweden's brief shining moment can be translated into a fairly significant colonial presence.  My crowning 'shitty power into real power' was using the almost-dead Byzantine Empire to re-establish Rome.  Inflation, lagging technology, a majority-Muslim population, and constant war with my neighbors meant that I never got a real secure foothold, but at its height I had Byzantine soldiers stationed in Poland, Egypt, The Hejaz, Armenia, and Italy. 

Hello, my name is Richard, and I am an addict.
jebreject

« Reply #451 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:27:04 AM »

are you guys talking about like some weird sex thing or what

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
andronicus

« Reply #452 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:56:01 AM »

Only in your wildest fantasies, Jeb.  I have a reputation as one who is able to control your inflation.
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #453 on: Dec 09, 2007, 12:37:46 PM »

we bought Rock Band for my sister (due to heavy encouragement by me!)  Can't wait till she opens that for christmas

Puddle Pants
Good Intentions

« Reply #454 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:11:02 PM »

No, Mecklenburg, you can't deficit spend your way into being an industrial/military power in the 17th century.
Sad

The new patch for EU:NA (the expansion) puts in a limit how far you can send colonists, which means that before you can settle the East Indies, you must first have halfway stations at places like the Cape, Ceylon, etc, not just a colony but one developed to city-level as well, and it takes a pretty impressive naval/colonising power to reach all the way from the Azores to the Cape in the first place. This is great, because it stops everybody sending colonists out willy-nilly the moment the new worlds become availalbe: Burgundy can no longer easily become a major colonising power! On the other hand, in the game I was running when I applied the patch, I had a bunch of New World colonies, none of which at city level, all outside of my colonisation range, so it was time to pack in the game and start a new one.
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #455 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:30:52 PM »

I had a bunch of New World colons, all outside of my colonisation range, so it was time to pack in the game and start a new one.

are you guys talking about like some weird sex thing or what

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
Good Intentions

« Reply #456 on: Dec 09, 2007, 08:04:12 PM »

Oh, just get a copy of Europa Universalis III, and when you emerge a week later you'll not be so perplexed.

With the inflation, I think I can do well a lot/most of the time just rolling with it. After all, is it really such a big deal if building something in 1700 costs 50% more than it did in 1493? Getting money = more money spent = inflation, that's just how it is. The problem is keeping it at manageable levels, cause if the money supply stops, you're fucked.
andronicus

« Reply #457 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »

You're basically right.  It's a matter of fiscal discipline.  Inflation happens in the normal course of playing the game (is worsened by running a deficit, taking out excessive loans, and having gold mines), and the only thing you can do to stem it is a couple of upgrades on the tech tree.  Don't spend money on trade/navy unless you're a trade/navy power.  That 200 ducat loan is probably not worth it in the long run. 

I am kind of excited to play this though, I'm on my laptop right now and apparently EUIII requires video cards that are pixel shader 2.0 compliant?  That is some bullshit, I started playing EU because I had a computer that barely met the requirements and a monitor that didn't display the color green.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #458 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:50:17 PM »

some games im currently excited about

Ontamarama
Operation Darkness

Have you tried Ontamarama yet?  I'm a total whore for music games and I didn't like it very much.  It's good, but it's so hard, and it has too little to do with music and more with random tapping.  I don't regret the purchase, and I'm sure I'll get my $30 worth out of it, but I was generally underwhelmed.

On the subject of music games, I recently picked up Donkey Konga and am having lots of fun with it.  Definitely plan on getting the sequels soon.

i hit a brick wall very very quickly (boss of normal mode/1st level of hard mode) and i dont thinki will ever get better at it. i cant get my eyes to focus on the different things fast enough. its a pretty cool game in theory but its just brutal. brutal beyond being fun, right into "oh... i really dont think i can do this" territory. i dont regret buying it or anything but still. its a son of a bitch.

also, you have to HAVE TO get Jungle Beat. you will flip your shit. its a side scrolling platformer that you control with the bongos.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Good Intentions

« Reply #459 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:54:31 PM »

That 200 ducat loan is probably not worth it in the long run. 
You're telling me I should pay for my manufactories in cash? To blazes with that! They're too bleeding useful early game, for the research benefit alone.

Honestly, I'm all about infrastructure (though this might be a case where non-EU skills don't do me any good), and sometimes you need a loan or three to finance it. It pays off in the end, I'm sure, if used judiciously.

In 2.1, btw, bank loans are scaled for the size of your economy. As Mecklenburg in 1530, for instance, far and away the richest nation in the world measured by income, the loan size was 105. A good move, I think, but an infuriating one.

If your comp can run EUIII, it should run EU:NA without a hitch. The game still looks the same. You can always ask on the official forums, they have threads for that prupose.

I think I'll play Portugal next and try this colonisation thing full-tilt, not concentrate on trade but go for colonies and production efficiency. Any tips?
Ah_Pook

« Reply #460 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:56:30 PM »

EUIII is always tempting to me but i usually just end up playing another game of GalCiv2 when i need my grand strategy fix.

Good Intentions

« Reply #461 on: Dec 09, 2007, 10:59:50 PM »

also, you have to HAVE TO get Jungle Beat. you will flip your shit. its a side scrolling platformer that you control with the bongos.
That sounds AWESOME!
Ah_Pook

« Reply #462 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:03:07 PM »

words cant really capture how fun it is, especially once it gets really fucking crazy on the later levels and youre banging away and comboing over all kinds of ninja apes and cannons and whatnot.

man i have to bust that game out again sometime soon.

Good Intentions

« Reply #463 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:03:54 PM »

EUIII is always tempting to me but i usually just end up playing another game of GalCiv2 when i need my grand strategy fix.
Man, nothing is like EUIII
Ah_Pook

« Reply #464 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:10:55 PM »

Galciv2 has fully customizable space ships though.

plus i already have it sitting there installed, calling out to me. "just one more turn you fool! its only been 9 hours, youve got plenty of time for another turn!"

andronicus

« Reply #465 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:42:51 PM »

You're telling me I should pay for my manufactories in cash? To blazes with that! They're too bleeding useful early game, for the research benefit alone.
If you can afford to pay back your loans on a staggered basis, then it's fine.  But there's no use sinking your economy for something that's probably going to burn down in a fucking fire anyway. [/bitterness]

Honestly, I'm all about infrastructure (though this might be a case where non-EU skills don't do me any good), and sometimes you need a loan or three to finance it. It pays off in the end, I'm sure, if used judiciously.
Infrastructure is really how you dominate the game, but honestly there's little you can do with loans that you can't do with your yearly income.  The formula is really simple, if you can take out a loan to build something and pay it back, then you're golden.  Tax Collectors and that sort of improvement are especially awesome, a 200 ducat loan will get you 3 or so province upgrades like that which will pay for themselves quick.  If you're taking a loan to putz around trying to pick up a couple of provinces in the Balkans then you're just fucking yourself.

For Portugal: Zero out all your other research and focus on government level 1.  (Obvs. take quest for the new world as your national idea) Keep your stability at +3.  Every 10 years kick your slider another notch toward Free Trade.  Colonization works best if you colonize as many colonies as you get colonists in a year, and don't stack all your colonists in a single province, that wastes a lot of resources.  Don't send your explorers around just discovering shit, that's a waste.  Discover what you need, don't worry about the rest.  As far as where to colonize, Caribbean islands are profitable and quite defensible, Brazil is more profitable but is somewhat more expensive to defend/maintain. 

I played the original GalCiv, and never got the hang of it, getting my ass handed to me time and again.  So I haven't picked up GalCiv II.  I think I was trying to play the game too much like Master of Orion, or something.
fourlittlesongs

« Reply #466 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:50:37 PM »

some games im currently excited about

Ontamarama
Operation Darkness

Have you tried Ontamarama yet?  I'm a total whore for music games and I didn't like it very much.  It's good, but it's so hard, and it has too little to do with music and more with random tapping.  I don't regret the purchase, and I'm sure I'll get my $30 worth out of it, but I was generally underwhelmed.

On the subject of music games, I recently picked up Donkey Konga and am having lots of fun with it.  Definitely plan on getting the sequels soon.

i hit a brick wall very very quickly (boss of normal mode/1st level of hard mode) and i dont thinki will ever get better at it. i cant get my eyes to focus on the different things fast enough. its a pretty cool game in theory but its just brutal. brutal beyond being fun, right into "oh... i really dont think i can do this" territory. i dont regret buying it or anything but still. its a son of a bitch.

I'm stuck at the same spot, first song on hard, and also don't ever see myself passing it.  Atlus games are usually really tough (see Trauma Center and Etrian Odyssey), but they're beatable.  This one is is just punishing.

Jungle Beat is on my list.  Zellers (like the Canadian K-Mart, if you're not familiar with it) has all of the bongo games on sale, DK w/bongos was only $10.  Apparently Jungle Beat w/bongos is $15, but I haven't been able to find it.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #467 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:54:21 PM »

i got jungle beat on clearance for $10, with a free 2nd pair of bongos. i havent come across cheap copies of the donkey konga games though, i still really want to play them.

Good Intentions

« Reply #468 on: Dec 09, 2007, 11:59:13 PM »

For Portugal: Zero out all your other research and focus on government level 1.  (Obvs. take quest for the new world as your national idea) Keep your stability at +3.  Every 10 years kick your slider another notch toward Free Trade.  Colonization works best if you colonize as many colonies as you get colonists in a year, and don't stack all your colonists in a single province, that wastes a lot of resources.  Don't send your explorers around just discovering shit, that's a waste.  Discover what you need, don't worry about the rest.  As far as where to colonize, Caribbean islands are profitable and quite defensible, Brazil is more profitable but is somewhat more expensive to defend/maintain. 
But doesn't it pay off to have at least one colony well developed as a springboard? To build ships/units there? And with the new colonial reach thing (which admittedly you have no experience with), your colonists can only reach a certain distance away from your closest unblockaded port city, which suddenly makes places like the Azores and Madeira as strategically important as they historically were.

In my last game I did use the shotgun approach to colonisation, and that did work out well, but I was left hoping for at least one well-developed colony in the Carribean to build a ship and especially units in (since those pirates aren't considerate enough to donate me troops). Also, a city in the colony = mucho mulah.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007, 12:00:53 AM by Good Intentions » Logged
andronicus

« Reply #469 on: Dec 10, 2007, 12:05:18 AM »

When you're first developing though, develop something like 4 provinces at once because their successful colonizations will each in turn increase the likelihood of each successive colonization being successful, reducing your waste of colonists.  You should build as many cities as you can yes, and having a regional center is great yes, but by the time you have even one city in a region, you're in the early-mid game, and the economic decisions you made early on will have had an enormous impact.  Having saved even two colonists is going to yield a big benefit a couple centuries down the road.

Good Intentions

« Reply #470 on: Dec 10, 2007, 12:09:42 AM »

Don't you only get the bonus for having an adjacent territory if the colony is already a city? I thought just a colony would do, but on the 'send colonist' tooltip it tells me I get the 5% penalty even when I control an adjacent colony.
Good Intentions

« Reply #471 on: Dec 11, 2007, 04:25:17 AM »

Well, now I feel a little silly... you see, I read your colonisation advice as 'send your colonists out to as many different places per year as you get colonists a year', ie each time send your colonists to a new province. I did that, and tnow I have 25 distinct colonies, 23 in the Carribean and Brazil, plus Cape Verde and St Helena. Four of them have more than 110 inhabitants. As you can imagine, my research costs are unattainably high, but I was waiting for the gargantuan payoff when those colonies mature, at some unspecified time in the future.

I'll play a little longer to see if I can fix it, from now on doing the proper thing, developing as many distinct colonies at one time as I have colonists per year.
Greg Nog

« Reply #472 on: Dec 14, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »

I rented the Orange Box.  It's pretty good.  Halo 2 is all right, and Portal's a lot of fun.  I haven't played Team Fortress 2 yet.
Little Sixes Little Nines

« Reply #473 on: Dec 15, 2007, 01:00:55 AM »

Lol wut? You MUST mean Half-Life 2, right?

i just sighed (my shitty tumblr)
guanajuato

« Reply #474 on: Dec 15, 2007, 04:07:47 AM »

hey, i thought this was amazing. http://hcsoftware.sourceforge.net/passage/

we're celebrating your sprint anniversary!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | Departure Lounge | Topic: video games you're currently about
Jump to: