Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 18, 2014, 09:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657241 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 75 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: bride of best movie thread ever  (Read 35412 times)
girl

« Reply #175 on: Aug 06, 2007, 12:21:34 AM »

I'm watching Clueless.  I'm thinking of making it an Amy Heckerling night and putting on Fast Times at Ridgemont High next.

You can add to the Heckerling/Jodorowsky comparisons that took over and (regrettably, I thought) killed the Judd Apatow thread! How did Fando y Lis inform the Phoebe Cates diving-board scene? The question merits inquiry!

I'll keep that in mind.   Cool

(I'm thinking that you're just looking for a reason to watch that scene on repeat, but I've been wrong before.)

this is a story and you're not in it
auto-da-fey

« Reply #176 on: Aug 06, 2007, 12:32:59 AM »

I need no reason to revel in the wonders of Phoebe Cates' bosoms!

Though eighth-grade memories compel me to admit that I never cared much about her legendary Fast Times scene, because it was so dramatically overshadowed by her work in the mind-numbing but flesh-baring 1982 sub-Blue Lagoon atrocity Paradise.
das kranke Tier

« Reply #177 on: Aug 06, 2007, 09:46:32 AM »

Last nigh I watched Zardoz.

Umm, anybody else ever seen this? It features Sean Connery playing a barbarian wearing a bright red loincloth with two ammo belts across his chest, who has infiltrated a hippy commune and acts the uebermensch.

Also, the movie proper starts with a giant stone head flying through the air, then landing in the countryside, proclaiming to a gathered horde of horseback marauders, all dressed like Connery, that 'the gun is good' and 'the penis is bad'. Then spouting a stash of weapons and ammo out of its mouth.

I am a proud owner of this particular film!

Compendious as hell
Greg Nog

« Reply #178 on: Aug 06, 2007, 12:03:05 PM »

I saw Ocean's 13 for the second time yesterday, and was just as pleased this time around.  I'm digging how each of the Ocean's movies seem to be creeping more and more towards Soderberghian essays on what he feels it means to be an upright American male.
nonotyet

« Reply #179 on: Aug 06, 2007, 12:15:30 PM »

The Bourne Ultimatum was excellent; I saw it this weekend. I was distracted by the thickness of Matt Damon's neck in the flashback scenes in general. Shit was HUGE. Also before we saw the movie I saw an interview with Damon on The Daily Show in which he said there will probably not be another Bourne movie and if there is they will title it The Bourne Redundancy. But the thing is, I like these movies so much and the quality is so consistently awesome that if there was a fourth one, I would see it.   

The end!
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #180 on: Aug 06, 2007, 12:42:42 PM »

i saw el mariachi yesterday. that movie was great. if no one had ever told me just how cheaply robert rodriguez made it, i wouldn't have guessed. i mean, it's obviously cheap, but i would have thought "easy rider" cheap rather than "clerks" cheap. but anyway, great movie. fucking awesome.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Aglaya

« Reply #181 on: Aug 06, 2007, 01:22:55 PM »

Saw Hot Fuzz.  There were a couple of moments that were kind of bleh, and a couple of kind of annoying Shaun of the Dead references, but overall I thought it was spectacular.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
girl

« Reply #182 on: Aug 06, 2007, 05:26:12 PM »

After watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High several times in a row yesterday and today, I chose something at random off the dvd shelf, so now I'm watching The Matador.

hannah

« Reply #183 on: Aug 06, 2007, 05:36:38 PM »

girl, come to NYC and go to one of these with me:

http://www.filmforum.org/films/nycnoirfilms.html
jebreject

« Reply #184 on: Aug 06, 2007, 05:39:56 PM »

i saw el mariachi yesterday. that movie was great. if no one had ever told me just how cheaply robert rodriguez made it, i wouldn't have guessed. i mean, it's obviously cheap, but i would have thought "easy rider" cheap rather than "clerks" cheap. but anyway, great movie. fucking awesome.

your first time seeing it? it was probably the only movie of the "mexico trilogy" that's really all that good. i mean, desperado is good, but it becomes too comic book-y, too larger than life. el mariachi isn't really like that at all.

once upon a time in mexico is, of course, patently awful.

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #185 on: Aug 06, 2007, 05:40:27 PM »

saw the bourne ultimatum yesterday. it was pretty meh. i liked the first two a lot, but this one i dunno. everything cool about it had been done better in the first two, plus there pretty much wasnt a story. it was coasting on the fumes of the story of the 2nd one without adding anything worth caring about at all. that said it had some cool action bits, even if they all felt pretty samey. oh no another chase! NSA security alert level 5! pan that camera oh no dont lose him!!!!! blah blah blah.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
hannah

« Reply #186 on: Aug 06, 2007, 05:41:31 PM »

Oh, last night I saw Husbands by John Cassavetes.

Tonight I'm seeing Pedro Costa's Colossal Youth.

Tomorrow, if I can get out of the dentist on time, I'm seeing Bourne Ultimatum.

Wednesday, I'm not sure. Have to check repertory schedules. No amount of Al Swearengen or my attraction to Andy Samberg will make me see Hot Rod. No.

Thursday, another Pedro Costa film.

Friday, again, not sure.

I wish to see Mon Oncle d'Amerique at Lincoln Center the Tuesday before I head off to Chicago, but that's too far in advance.

I love New York, yes.
girl

« Reply #187 on: Aug 06, 2007, 05:42:25 PM »

girl, come to NYC and go to one of these with me:

http://www.filmforum.org/films/nycnoirfilms.html

Tempting!  Actually, there are quite a few movies in that lineup that I haven't seen before.

Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #188 on: Aug 06, 2007, 05:49:15 PM »

your first time seeing it? it was probably the only movie of the "mexico trilogy" that's really all that good. i mean, desperado is good, but it becomes too comic book-y, too larger than life. el mariachi isn't really like that at all.

once upon a time in mexico is, of course, patently awful.

it was indeed my first time seeing it, and i haven't seen the other two movies in the trilogy. i'll check them out eventually, but i've often heard what you've said about them repeated by other people, so i'm in no rush at this point.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
Lindsay With An A

« Reply #189 on: Aug 07, 2007, 12:55:39 AM »

Went to the movie theater tonight, and our friend was working and gave us free passes. There was really nothing playing that either of us wanted to see, so we blindly picked The Ten only because, according to the poster, Paul Rudd was in it. And in it he was. It was alright, nothing great, but definitely a worthy way to spend unexpected free movie passes. And, as I may have already mentioned, Paul Rudd was in it.

Mel Gibson spelled backwards.
YojimboMonkey

« Reply #190 on: Aug 07, 2007, 01:20:09 AM »

Max and I watched The Black Hole earlier.  He didn't seem that impressed by Maximilian, the evil robot he was named after.  I was a bit disappointed; that robot freaked me out when I was his age, and I thought it was awesome.  I guess the special effects are so much better these days that wicked ass floating robots with whirling arm blades and an evil glowy red eye don't seem as scary just 'cause you can see the strings.  I don't know.  He liked Vincent and old Bob and was pretty psyched when Vincent beat Maximilian and mostly liked the movie pretty much.  Also we were both pretty freaked out at the end when the black hole led them into hell.  I mean, I haven't watched the movie in a long time, and I remember the end when they go into the black hole being pretty freaky, and red, and hellish but I didn't remember it literally being Hell.  Anyway, mission accomplished and Maximilian has met Maximilian.  Now I just gotta figure out when to show Damian the Omen series.

Anus-licking causes sepsis; if not given antibiotics within a half hour, they perish.
nonotyet

« Reply #191 on: Aug 07, 2007, 02:30:59 PM »

Because I Said So made me want to choke inanimate objects that do not breathe and also Diane Keaton. What the FUCK, Diane Keaton. And the Making Of bit on the DVD extras made me want to die, what with the "it's so REFRESHING to have a movie about women written by women tee hee our male director felt so out of place because we were like sisters!" These women who wrote this movie have no idea how women talk. Also I called the ending AND like four major plot points in the first ten minutes.
I am hateful.

diesel_powered

« Reply #192 on: Aug 07, 2007, 02:55:24 PM »

I went to see Transformers. It was fucking sweet. Anyone who says otherwise hates fun.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
girl

« Reply #193 on: Aug 07, 2007, 03:33:41 PM »

I shuffled up my Netflix queue a bit, and the movies at the top are on "very long wait" status, so the three movies that arrived today are almost completely random; Baby Doll, Clean and Holy Mountain.

auto-da-fey

« Reply #194 on: Aug 07, 2007, 04:07:54 PM »

I shuffled up my Netflix queue a bit, and the movies at the top are on "very long wait" status, so the three movies that arrived today are almost completely random; Baby Doll, Clean and Holy Mountain.

I keep waiting for those two giallo movies to hit, because I'm curious to see what you think of them. Even if you dislike 'em, I'm hoping you appreciate the cinematic glow of Edwige Fenech.
auto-da-fey

« Reply #195 on: Aug 07, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »

Because I Said So made me want to choke inanimate objects that do not breathe and also Diane Keaton.

I refuse to believe the presence of Mandy Moore does not mitigate the hideousness of this film at least somewhat. She has brightened everything I've seen her in, and yes, I've seen Chasing Liberty.
girl

« Reply #196 on: Aug 07, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »

I keep waiting for those two giallo movies to hit, because I'm curious to see what you think of them. Even if you dislike 'em, I'm hoping you appreciate the cinematic glow of Edwige Fenech.

I didn't realize you were waiting.  I'll move them up.  Cool

edit:  Did I get those out of your queue?  I can't remember why they're in mine, actually, but I bumped them nonetheless.
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2007, 04:21:24 PM by girl » Logged

auto-da-fey

« Reply #197 on: Aug 07, 2007, 04:49:55 PM »

edit:  Did I get those out of your queue?  I can't remember why they're in mine, actually, but I bumped them nonetheless.

I mentioned 'em both here, so I just figured that was the catalyst, but who knows--their allure is expansive and mysterious, so perhaps they just crept up on you. Like things that go bump in the night!
silentsigh89

« Reply #198 on: Aug 07, 2007, 06:44:22 PM »

I'm about to watch return of the jedi for the first time. In a few hours I will be able to stand proudly and say "I HAVE SEEN THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS MOVIES".

It's taken me about a year to get to this point. I'm really very proud.
Ah_Pook

« Reply #199 on: Aug 07, 2007, 07:32:01 PM »

about a year... not counting the past 24 years i guess

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: bride of best movie thread ever
Jump to: