Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 2014, 02:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657252 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 80 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
Print
Author Topic: new albums purchased thread  (Read 29966 times)
Ah_Pook

« Reply #375 on: Oct 25, 2007, 08:28:51 PM »

How's that Anal Penetration album?

its really good if you like that sort of thing. that sort of thing being this sort of thing.

edit: i had a track from it on that grind mix i uploaded a little while ago, for another shot of their... stuff.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
Beckles

« Reply #376 on: Oct 26, 2007, 03:57:46 PM »

This old record store nearby is closing and all the used cd's are being sold for next to nothing so I cleaned up:

Bonnie Prince Billy- Ease Down the Road- I've never heard anything other than ISAD so I assumed this was good
Sunset Rubdown- Shut Up I Am Dreaming- I like Krug enough
Bowerbirds- Hymn For a Dark Horse- John says this is good

I love these so much. How're they working out for you? Ease Down the Road is a great listen, though if I recall, there's at least one track I can't listen to. On reflection, it may not be quite as good as I See A Darkness, but I've a special place for it since it was my first Will Oldham material I'd been exposed to, and it made me want to listen to his extensive back catalogue. I don't know if you mean you haven't heard just the BPB stuff, but I'd recommend Palace if you haven't heard them, especially Viva Last Blues. I guess it's less polished than EDTR and ISAD.

OT: I got the new Beirut album and am loving it, and I thought I'd be disappointed by it.

what is it sebastian, i'm arranging matchsticks?
Nick Ink

« Reply #377 on: Oct 26, 2007, 04:21:48 PM »

A Broken Consort "Box of Birch" (cd - 2nd ed.)
A Broken Consort (a.k.a. Richard Skelton) delivers a beautiful multi-layered work of accordion drones, strings, etc that makes your living room come alive. I cannot recommend this release enough if you’re into ambient/drones/etc.

I've had this for about a week now and I concur. (I'll try to give a more in-depth report when I finally get around to replying to your message, sorry...)

Thanks for pointing this out you two. It is, in fact, so good that I have even dared to come back onto page 15 of the 'new albums' thread, something I thought I would never do after Pook's post, er, down below.

But, yes, this Box Of Birch thingamajig. It kind of reminds me of Clogs' Lantern album in places, with all the scrapy strings and stuff. And also of the Miasmah label people like Svarte Greiner and Deaf Center, Elegi, Gultskra Artikler etc.

The real gem is the second track, Weight Of Days, in my opinion. Do you have another 'pinion?

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
davy

« Reply #378 on: Oct 26, 2007, 11:11:02 PM »

THE GOURDS stadium blitzer  /  THE AVETT BROTHERS four thieves gone: the robbinsville sessions

ahhh. now this is just my kind of music.

The drummer IS the foundation, p3wn.
justinh

« Reply #379 on: Oct 26, 2007, 11:42:45 PM »

from yourmusic:

I wanted something nice and autumnal, but I'm not sure how much I'm digging this.  Why doesn't yourmusic carry Agalloch records?
davy

« Reply #380 on: Oct 27, 2007, 12:53:35 AM »

yeah, it almost goes without saying, but deliverance and damnation would've been much better as a well-edited single album than they are as two separate albums.

Ah_Pook

« Reply #381 on: Oct 27, 2007, 09:43:22 AM »

deliverance and damnation would have been much better as just damnation, since deliverance sucked. damnation is pretty great though, if a little samey by the end.

Blame it on the girls who know what to do
Blame it on the boys who keep hitting on you
alex

« Reply #382 on: Oct 27, 2007, 10:23:56 AM »

It is, in fact, so good that I have even dared to come back onto page 15 of the 'new albums' thread, something I thought I would never do after Pook's post, er, down below.

Heh, that's quite some praise there!

I'm glad, but not in the least bit surprised, that you're liking it. I'm afraid I haven't heard any of the people you're bringing up as reference points, though.
Nick Ink

« Reply #383 on: Oct 27, 2007, 10:44:31 AM »

Although it's the least like A Broken Consort of all of them, if you haven't heard Deaf Center's Pale Ravine album from a couple of years ago, I think you'd like it a lot. One of the members has subsequently set up the Miasmah label, and his first solo album, (Knive by Svarte Greiner) is a kind of template for the rest of its releases, sometimes described as 'acoustic doom'.

You can hear some of the Deaf Center here : http://www.typerecords.com/releases/full.php?id=14

and Miasmah is over here : http://www.miasmah.com/music/

EDIT : to say, I've just been reminded that Rafael Anton Irisarri's Daydreaming was also on Miasmah

« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2007, 10:53:17 AM by Nick Ink » Logged

Seest thou what happens, Laurence, when thou firk’st a stranger ‘twixt the buttocks?!
alex

« Reply #384 on: Oct 27, 2007, 11:00:22 AM »

I've heard one song from that Deaf Center album on your piano mix, and I enjoyed that one a lot, so I suppose I should indeed check out the rest of the album.

As for Miasmah, I do of course know the excellent Rafael Anton Irisarri album, but nothing else on that label.

edit: x-post with your edit!
grammarcore

« Reply #385 on: Oct 28, 2007, 01:58:46 PM »

(re-buy)

milesofsparks

« Reply #386 on: Oct 28, 2007, 05:18:02 PM »

I needed some cheerful happy poppy music, so I bought these

but then  I saw this in the used bin and I couldn't resist

since I'm (hopefully) seeing casiotone for the painfully alone next week.

With some of my research and knowledge I am a little sure about it.
in jest

« Reply #387 on: Oct 29, 2007, 12:34:45 AM »

Career Suicide - Attempted Suicide LP
Jay Reatard - Blood Visions LP

Both raging. Can't stop listening to "My Shadow" from the JR LP.

making love with devil
edison

« Reply #388 on: Oct 30, 2007, 03:56:14 AM »

Cass McCombs Dropping The Writ

I got this in the mail yesterday, which is really weird, because I had cancelled my Amazon order as I'm nearly broke. And now I don't have it in me to return it, because it was dirt cheap anyway, and because it's Cass McCombs, and it looks like another fascinating, if not quite perfect, record.
Doctor Bob

« Reply #389 on: Oct 30, 2007, 08:17:29 AM »

Paul Metzger - Deliverance.

Got the Locust newsletter last Wednesday at lunchtime.  This was ordered within 5 minutes, and was on my desk in work this morning (after a 3 day weekend) ready for collection.  Score!

PM's Three improvisations on modified banjo has long entertained me, and now there's another instalment.  I'm greatly looking forward to hearing this ASAP.  Now I just need to get a working CD player again- currently without.  Sad

EDIT: And I ordered Erik Friedlander's Block ice and propane this morning too, after hearing some of it over the weekend at The Brother's house- astonishing stuff.

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2007, 08:33:31 AM by Doctor Bob » Logged

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
WhereTheSlimeLive

« Reply #390 on: Oct 30, 2007, 09:43:38 AM »

I used to think Deliverance sucked, now it's one of only two albums I still listen to from Opeth.  Orchid being the other.

Puddle Pants
KJ

« Reply #391 on: Oct 30, 2007, 10:04:45 AM »

Deliverance is the only Opeth album I've ever listened to (cause, you know, edit0r's chocie) and I think it's ace. Just never really had the itch for more.

Which, reminds me, I still need to buy

Gateways
                                         to
                                              ANNIHILATION

aND SOME bORIS.

KJ brings 'em homicide.
Salkin Red

« Reply #392 on: Oct 30, 2007, 10:19:58 AM »

I just got the new(ish) Thurston Moore solo record as a (late) birthday present and I think it may very well be one of my favorite records of the year. Maybe he does revisit that one melody he does so well (you know, the Diamond Sea one) once too often, but the arrangements and the songwriting (that, at times, reminds me of that Doug Martsch solo record from years ago) are all top notch, the understated playing of all involved (even J Mascis) is amazingly fun to listen to and, apart from all that, I could listen to Thurston Moore's voice all day long, anyway.

(Anyone reading this might want to take note of the fact that I also liked New York City Ghosts And Flowers so I might not be the most reliable source for most of you...)

"Metal is forever, in every single matter"
davy

« Reply #393 on: Oct 30, 2007, 11:08:02 AM »

I used to think Deliverance sucked, now it's one of only two albums I still listen to from Opeth.  Orchid being the other.

i couldn't get into orchid at all.

Bubbachups

« Reply #394 on: Oct 30, 2007, 02:48:32 PM »

A Broken Consort "Box of Birch" (cd - 2nd ed.)
A Broken Consort (a.k.a. Richard Skelton) delivers a beautiful multi-layered work of accordion drones, strings, etc that makes your living room come alive. I cannot recommend this release enough if you’re into ambient/drones/etc.

I've had this for about a week now and I concur. (I'll try to give a more in-depth report when I finally get around to replying to your message, sorry...)

Thanks for pointing this out you two. It is, in fact, so good that I have even dared to come back onto page 15 of the 'new albums' thread, something I thought I would never do after Pook's post, er, down below.

But, yes, this Box Of Birch thingamajig. It kind of reminds me of Clogs' Lantern album in places, with all the scrapy strings and stuff. And also of the Miasmah label people like Svarte Greiner and Deaf Center, Elegi, Gultskra Artikler etc.

The real gem is the second track, Weight Of Days, in my opinion. Do you have another 'pinion?
Great, when I posted that I was kind of hoping that you would pick up on it. I'm glad to hear that you like it too! So far I guess the fourth track is my favourite. I love the melancholic feel that's present on the entire album. Which indeed makes it fit nicely together with the Miasmah releases. Although the sound of Box of Birch is more full and less serene than your typical Miasmah album.

Today I got Sleeping Debris by Meursault in the mail which is also very much recommended and quite similar. Unfortunately I've just learned that the album has just sold out (limited to 100 on Students of Decay) but there's a small preview here:
http://www.studentsofdecay.com/SoD41.htm
Bubbachups

« Reply #395 on: Oct 30, 2007, 03:15:17 PM »

Paul Metzger - Deliverance.

Got the Locust newsletter last Wednesday at lunchtime.  This was ordered within 5 minutes, and was on my desk in work this morning (after a 3 day weekend) ready for collection.  Score!

PM's Three improvisations on modified banjo has long entertained me, and now there's another instalment.  I'm greatly looking forward to hearing this ASAP.  Now I just need to get a working CD player again- currently without.  Sad
Another Bob here who ordered the new Paul Metzger album! (on vinyl though) I absolutely loved his Three improvisations on modified banjo album, which became very personal too about 18 months ago for unfortunate reasons. I can't wait to hear this new material, the preview on the Locust website already sounds spectacular. I've read that there will also be a new vinyl-only album out on the excellent Roaratorio very soon.

Other purchases of the last two weeks or so:

Oren Ambarchi "In the Pendulum's Embrace" (cd)
Molasses "Trouble at Jinx Hotel" (cd)
Begushkin "Nightly Things" (cd)
Phosphorescent "Pride" (lp)
Mv & Ee With the Golden Road "Gettin' Gone" (cd)
Supersilent "8" (cd)
The Necks "Townsville" (cd)
The Necks "Chemist" (cd)
Nadja "Touched" (cd)
Nadja "Radiance of Shadows" (cd)
Meursault "Sleeping Debris" (cd)

Of particular interest are both Nadja albums which are just monstrous. Very much recommended for those into doom-ambient/drone-metal. You can stream both on the Alien8 website here and here. The Alien8 website speaks of a combination of dirge-like metal riffs and shoegazer aesthetics. Buy two Alien8 albums and get a third one for free, I chose the Molasses album as my third.

Not listed above (because there's no artwork yet on the internet) but also very much recommended is the new Agitated Radio Pilot called World Winding Down, for those into singer/songwriters, folk or just melancholic music in general. Their previous album Your Turn To Go It Alone was one of my favourites last year. I haven't managed to listen to this new one in its entirety but what I did hear so far was just fantastic. There are two new tracks up on the MySpace page.
davy

« Reply #396 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:28:04 AM »

LEVON HELM dirt farmer  /  VARIOUS ARTISTS i'm not there (soundtrack - 2cd)

listening to the former for the 2nd time in a row. man, it's good! it's basically the album i wanted john fogerty to release this year. raucous, meaty folk music...superb rhythm section. levon helm's drumming and his vocals easily recall his days in the band, and if the talents have aged at all, they've aged like wine. i can't recommend this album highly enough to the folkies on this board.

das kranke Tier

« Reply #397 on: Oct 31, 2007, 11:53:30 AM »

Yeah, I've been pondering picking that up.  May have to do so now upon your recommendation.

Compendious as hell
Doctor Bob

« Reply #398 on: Oct 31, 2007, 12:46:31 PM »

The Necks "Townsville" (cd)
The Necks "Chemist" (cd)

Not listed above (because there's no artwork yet on the internet) but also very much recommended is the new Agitated Radio Pilot called World Winding Down, for those into singer/songwriters, folk or just melancholic music in general. Their previous album Your Turn To Go It Alone was one of my favourites last year. I haven't managed to listen to this new one in its entirety but what I did hear so far was just fantastic. There are two new tracks up on the MySpace page.

Chemist is great- 'Abillera' is a regular cycling tune for me, and will probably remain so until I crack the maddeningly / wonderfully irregular code of the drums!  Haven't got/heard Townsville yet, but The Brother assures me it's the biz.

Re Agitated Radio Pilot-
The main man in ARP, Dave, is an acquaintance of mine, and a good friend of a friend who has been in other bands with him- Murmansk being the one I saw more than others, though they might be dormant at the moment.  It's funny to see ARP getting mentions / reviews in a few places after all these years- Aquarius Records reviewed something, and I think I saw a mention on the Grown So Ugly blog.

Amusingly (perhaps), the first place I met Dave was in the dingy toilet of a pub in Dublin, right after the first ever Irish date by The Mountain Goats which I'd arranged with my brother and his friend (November 1996).  As I was peeing, he came up to me and said "Thanks for booking the show!  I never thought I'd see The Mountain Goats in Ireland!"  Yes, we were a rare breed in the Ireland of the mid-1990s.

And the final piece of the puzzle is that, when tMG returned to Ireland in 2002, ARP played support for their date in Sligo, pictures of which can still be found here.  If you look closely (well, not that closely) you can see pictures of me too, back in my beard-free days.

(Readers of some duration will remember these pictures from a while back- I know TSKS posted the crowd shot from Sligo here before.)

Yowza. Things happen when you go outside!
alex

« Reply #399 on: Oct 31, 2007, 02:46:50 PM »

Thanks for the reminder that I'd been meaning to check out Paul Metzger, Bob and Bob!

Meanwhile, I picked up this today on vinyl:

Sir Richard Bishop - Polytheistic Fragments
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
Print
LPTJ | Last Plane Forums | In The Earbuds | Topic: new albums purchased thread
Jump to: