Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:19:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657245 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 57 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: but, you are aware that there's an invention called Television  (Read 40513 times)
mountmccabe

« on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:00:02 AM »

I think the old thread is too long?

I went to my brother's to watch Battlestar Galactica: Razor last night.

It wasn't terribly good.  Maybe it was only really, really transparent because I knew who would make it out but wow.  After watching it doesn't really feel like any of it was necessary.  Except for one warning that wasn't passed on - except to me, the viewer - that felt rather tacked on.

Also the SciFi channel is really annoying.

You know a pancake?
jebreject

« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:03:05 AM »

wow, i didn't feel that way about razor at all

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jebreject

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:03:37 AM »

btw, awesome thread title

elpollodiablo

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:04:42 AM »

Also to be fair w/r/t Dexter Michael C. Hall is pretty good in it. It's also the only reason I watched it in the first place.

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:05:02 AM »

QFT, wish I'd thought of it

think 'on the road.'
mountmccabe

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:20:18 AM »

QFT, wish I'd thought of it

Thanks.

Also what did you like about Razor, jeb?

You know a pancake?
swilkes

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:40:54 AM »

Hey all. I'm becoming rather dangerously obsessed with Heroes. Like, last two or three episodes? OMG, intense! And hott. From now on, I want all TV shows to involve Jack Coleman wielding a handgun and/or Adrian Pasdar wielding a shotgun.
swilkes

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:45:24 AM »

oh, and hi everyone. I've been off LPTJ so long I had to reset my password. Howevs, not much in le monde swilkes has changed, as it seems my last posts were TV (Lost) related. From one ensemble cast sci-fi clusterfuck to another! sigh.
Aglaya

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:47:45 AM »

Has anyone managed to figure out yet if Lost is actually good or just highly addictive?  I say this as someone who can't stop watching it, I'm just not sure if it's because it's such a great show, or if it's just that I'm completely addicted to it.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
swilkes

« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:51:22 AM »

Aglaya, I'm voting "addictive." It sucked supremely last season, with glaring clues that the writers totally had no idea what they were doing. With Heroes, even when it sucks, I at least get the sense that the writers had their plot arcs totally mapped out before they put pen to paper. I dunno, I'm not a TV writer, and I hate to haterate in this time of the strike, but Lost really pissed me off...and yet I kept crawling back, every damn week.
Aglaya

« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:53:34 AM »

I know!  Season 3 is maddening.  I've seen an interview where they claimed that in one of the first meetings, they sat down and planned out how everything was going to happen in the first 5 years of the show or something, but I keep finding that harder and harder to believe.  Yet I cannot stop watching it and wanting to watch it.

Twurt away, merry horse-scorpions of the internet.
Good Intentions

« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:58:30 AM »

My brother hooked me up on some Metalocalypse. It's like candy. Tastes like chicken woudl taste if chicken was candy.

Apparently the Metalocalypse album, Dethalbum is the best selling death metal album of all time.
jebreject

« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2007, 01:43:11 AM »

Also what did you like about Razor, jeb?

I probably need to rewatch it before I can really say much of anything. My thoughts upon first viewing are here

diesel_powered

« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2007, 05:48:31 AM »

Also to be fair w/r/t Dexter Michael C. Hall is pretty good in it. It's also the only reason I watched it in the first place.

The first season drew me in with the mystery plot and I've been sticking around for the what's-the-deal-with-Doakes and the has-Dexter-lost-his-will-to-kill plotlines.

And have we discussed the whole thing about how Showtime is almost endorsing their shows getting leaked early? "Revenue aside, I don't expect to get rich on Weeds, I'm excited it's out there. Showtime is great, but it does have a limited audience."... says Jenji Kohan, creator of Weeds. Could this be an indication that the premium networks are ahead of the curve on the fact that p2p could be used as a promotional tool for selling DVDs? Seems to me that there's more revenue in that then there is in subscriptions.... As it is, the quality of the internet releases is pretty unbelievable. I've been getting HD/5.1 versions of most of the current season of Dexter and a few episodes of Weeds recently. All they need to do is push the fact that the DVDs have more value than downloaded files (lower video compression, better sound, extras that people give a shit about). I probably spend more on DVDs from premium networks per year than I would on a subscription.

she had me at "let's make a sandwich"
DCDave

« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:38:44 AM »

You probably don't, because Showtime is fucking expensive.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
ellaguru

« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:53:04 AM »

So, FYI, Amazon is currently having a sale. Wire seasons are, like, $27 each and Veronica Mars seasons are about $20.

I also engaged in a rigorous study of philosophy and religion...but cheerfulness kept creeping in.
DCDave

« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »

So, FYI, Amazon is currently having a sale. Wire seasons are, like, $27 each and Veronica Mars seasons are about $20.

Fuuuuuck Amazon.  I just bought these from them.

Oh well, hopefully that means I'll get a discount on my Se. 4 pre-order.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:41:07 AM »

holy god, and i just got $1000 and a check card.

must... resist...

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
hannah

« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:44:07 AM »

I finished the first four seasons of The Wire. The fourth season was incredible.

And I have the answer to my question about the second season being its most popular. From Slate's interview with David Simon:

Simon: You know, sometimes people in West Baltimore say to me, about Season 2, "We know you tried to take our show white, but it didn't work—then you came back to us." And I have to say, "Dawg, no. The second season was the most watched season." A lack of audience is not why we left it behind.

Slate: Do you think it was the most watched season because more of the characters were white?

Simon: It certainly helped. There are limits to empathy in this country. By the way, viewership for The Wire is now up—it's up 15 percent on HBO on Demand, and on second airings.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »

I know!  Season 3 is maddening.  I've seen an interview where they claimed that in one of the first meetings, they sat down and planned out how everything was going to happen in the first 5 years of the show or something, but I keep finding that harder and harder to believe.  Yet I cannot stop watching it and wanting to watch it.

S1 was good, S2 was one of the worst sophomore slumps in TV history, and S3 is pretty good but in a totally fucked-up way and it's weakened because you can tell all of the actors except Ben and Desmond have no clue what they are doing anymore.

But you shouldn't watch it ever again because the producers scabbed.

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »

Hahaha that is pretty much precisely what I was saying
I finished the first four seasons of The Wire. The fourth season was incredible.

And I have the answer to my question about the second season being its most popular. From Slate's interview with David Simon:

Simon: You know, sometimes people in West Baltimore say to me, about Season 2, "We know you tried to take our show white, but it didn't work—then you came back to us." And I have to say, "Dawg, no. The second season was the most watched season." A lack of audience is not why we left it behind.

Slate: Do you think it was the most watched season because more of the characters were white?

Simon: It certainly helped. There are limits to empathy in this country. By the way, viewership for The Wire is now up—it's up 15 percent on HBO on Demand, and on second airings.

Hahaha that is pretty much precisely what I was saying

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:47:03 AM »

S1 was good, S2 was one of the worst sophomore slumps in TV history, and S3 is pretty good but in a totally fucked-up way and it's weakened because you can tell all of the actors except Ben and Desmond have no clue what they are doing anymore.

Also it's kinda dumb. Though I totally cop to getting caught up in it last season.

And speaking of things involving Cedric Daniels, I saw that motherfucker in a Cadillac commercial yesterday.

think 'on the road.'
Andrew_TSKS

« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:49:03 AM »

And speaking of things involving Cedric Daniels, I saw that motherfucker in a Cadillac commercial yesterday.

YEAH, WHAT THE FUCK.

from the old thread:

Also thank GOD they stopped following the novels.  Just read a summary of the second novel online to see how fucking ridiculous it would've been.  Dexter trains Rita's son to be a serial killer, Doakes gets Johnny-Got-His-Gunned by a crazy doctor.  So, so stupid.

regardless of whether they work on tv or not, the books are really good. you haven't read them, have you.

I'm not really dissing the books; it would've just been really dumb on the show, especially since they go a different direction with Rita's kids, and play down the whole "Dark Passenger" thing.  It's a tradeoff; you lose a really interesting concept, but you get more pyschological ambiguity.  In the books there's no *doubt* that Dexter is a pyschopath/sociopath, but on the show there's these lingering doubts.  Does he really have to be this way, or did Harry *make* him this way?  He's pretty self-aware and in-control, why can't he just quit?  If he really has no emotion, why does he protect the people around him at the risk of being exposed?

you have totally convinced me. what's more, now i really want to see the show, whereas before i was kinda apathetic about it.

I just want to be myself and I want you to love me for who I am.
hannah

« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:49:18 AM »

I can't believe they fucking did that. Also, can we take away Jim Belushi's last name already? Shit's overdue as it is.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2007, 11:51:28 AM »

I love the way people act like Jim Belushi is sullying his family name. Usually it's the guy that dies mid-life from a drug overdose that people are ashamed of.

think 'on the road.'
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: but, you are aware that there's an invention called Television
Jump to: