Home
Help
Search
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 19, 2014, 06:08:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
657247 Posts in 9253 Topics by 3396 Members Latest Member: - vlozan86 Most online today: 81 - most online ever: 494 (Jul 01, 2007, 02:59:53 PM)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: The Wire - Season Five  (Read 61406 times)
hannah

« Reply #150 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:09:23 AM »

the quote-faker has totally fucked over Daniels... Burrell will believe the made-up quotation about backstabbing, bring all the Daniels shit to light... fucked-up little quote-faker.

I hate McNulty. man, couldn't stand him this episode.
hannah

« Reply #151 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:11:08 AM »

and i couldn't watch the butchie/chris/snoop scene. just horrible... just devastating... oh god.

what will come of the six flags excursion?? seemed to take up a lot of the episode... except, of course, to say that this is what Michael and Dukie should be doing. But makes me so nervous. I can't deal with another Wallace.

I'm going to be sick from nervousness, this episode made me so.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2008, 12:14:27 AM by hannah » Logged
hannah

« Reply #152 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:16:54 AM »

my comments are fucking idiotic, gnight
dieblucasdie

« Reply #153 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:57:41 AM »

See, so is Marlo really dumb enough to let Prop Joe into a position to know where all his money is at the same time he's trying to screw Prop Joe?

he was basically your only chance at making the world love you.
jebreject

« Reply #154 on: Jan 16, 2008, 01:47:07 AM »

I'll post something of substance here in about 40 minutes or so, but can I first say that this season's version of "Down in the Hole" is by far the worst, most bland thing ever?

I'm not racist, I've got lots of black Facebook friends.
jebreject

« Reply #155 on: Jan 16, 2008, 01:49:45 AM »

(and I do usually like Steve Earle)

dieblucasdie

« Reply #156 on: Jan 16, 2008, 01:58:11 AM »

Still better than the Neville Brothers one.

jebreject

« Reply #157 on: Jan 16, 2008, 02:13:25 AM »

I actually rather like that one

DCDave

« Reply #158 on: Jan 16, 2008, 07:55:39 AM »

That was easily the most retarded review of an episode of television I've ever read

It wasn't really a review - All y'all are talking about episode 3, and I watch them as they come on, so had nothing to add.

But what the fuck do I know, I have a penis.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #159 on: Jan 16, 2008, 08:57:43 AM »

what will come of the six flags excursion?? seemed to take up a lot of the episode... except, of course, to say that this is what Michael and Dukie should be doing. But makes me so nervous. I can't deal with another Wallace.

This worries me, because I'm very sure the show wouldn't being going to all this trouble to give Michael a fit of conscience if it didn't later plan to rob him of his humanity entirely.  Also, I read a (very vague, mild) spoiler that on the new soundtrack album, there's a track that's just an ominous conversation between Michael and Dukie from an ep that hasn't aired yet.  So I'm thinking either Michael ends up killing Dukie, or gets set on an "I hate the world/I'm never going to let myself feel again" path because someone else does (the D/Wallace/Dukie/Ziggy/Randy "not cut out for the game" type doesn't often get a happy ending on this show).

Also I'm thinking more and more that series will end with both Prop Joe and Marlo dead or arrested (and for sure the co-op shattered).  I doubt Slim Charles will be running things, as I previously speculated.  I'm thinking there'll be no big power, but it will be heavily implied that Michael is starting down that path (show him taking corners, building muscle, etc).
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2008, 09:12:34 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

andronicus

« Reply #160 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:27:32 AM »

McNulty's character, man; the tell by which you know that McNulty's character is now shit (whether shittily performed or shittily written or a little bit of both) is that it's not even convincing watching him drink anymore.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #161 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:31:03 AM »

Characters are interesting while they're changing, not while they're changing back.

think 'on the road.'
dieblucasdie

« Reply #162 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »

I don't know, his descent back into alcoholism sounds good on paper.  I think they just went over-the-top with it.  Instead of a scene of him kicking his car and drinking Jameson from a trunk, we should've gotten a few innocuous bar scenes with Bunk and Lester where he's drinking again.  (We'd be kind of glad to have those funny scenes again, but we'd also be like, "Oh, fuck.") Then have it build and build over the season, leading to some more believable meltdown, like beating the shit out of a suspect, or planting evidence on Marlo, or punching Rawls, or something.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2008, 11:45:03 AM by dieblucasdie » Logged

andronicus

« Reply #163 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »

Agree w/blucas.  To be honest from the perspective of knowing what alcoholism is actually like, his getting clean never felt honest to me anyway, and it seemed the writers wouldn't flub something like that when they had a parallel addiction story line that they handled with no small degree of nuance.  So I've been waiting for McNulty to fall off the wagon ever since.

It was just so terribly done.
elpollodiablo

« Reply #164 on: Jan 16, 2008, 11:58:36 AM »

You guys are schmoes

think 'on the road.'
elpollodiablo

« Reply #165 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:07:22 PM »

Did the scene at the end w/Omar in paradise ring really, really false with anyone else? Might be just cuz it's the first on-location shot outside of Bmore, but I dunno. I could've done without the whole scene, Omar just appearing back in the city would have been a lot better.

Listen to us with all of our criticisms! Still the best show on TV, hands down, especially since the only other show currently airing that I would've even begun to put in the same league (FNL) has apparently turned into the kind of bullshit treacle fest it was always in danger of becoming

"My wife is gonna die, I don't have a game plan for that"

LULZ

think 'on the road.'
nonotyet

« Reply #166 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:13:08 PM »

Listen to us with all of our criticisms! Still the best show on TV, hands down, especially since the only other show currently airing that I would've even begun to put in the same league (FNL) has apparently turned into the kind of bullshit treacle fest it was always in danger of becoming

"My wife is gonna die, I don't have a game plan for that"

LULZ

Confused
dieblucasdie

« Reply #167 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:13:54 PM »

Puerto Rico is paradise?

elpollodiablo

« Reply #168 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:23:47 PM »

Well, sure! Maybe not my idea of paradise or your idea of it, exactly, but they seemed to be enjoying it immensely. Ocean front, man!

think 'on the road.'
hannah

« Reply #169 on: Jan 16, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »

No Honey Nut, though!
hannah

« Reply #170 on: Jan 16, 2008, 02:12:33 PM »

I will say this one thing about McNulty and the show and women. He has sex with a waitress after smashing his car and it's played for a laugh; he has sex with sex slaves and it's played for a laugh; he goes it drunk with a drunk woman last night and it's played for a laugh... that is tiresome and, in the second item on my list, pretty wretched...

Jamie Hector is incredible. Although it is perhaps unbelievable that the woman wouldn't have known a drop of English... watching that back-and-forth: great.
andronicus

« Reply #171 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »

I'm definitely in agreement on that Hannah, it's part of this thing I think where they treat McNulty with kid gloves, and everyone else gets what's coming to them with interest.  Which is annoying in a show whose message is at least partially 'everything is the game'. 

Also, in re: Omar in paradise, I think that it and the Marlo scene are parts of a set piece showing two guys attempting to get out of the game/their position in it.  To which the writers will inevitably say, you will never get out of this.  I think specifically with the Omar scene, it's going to be a signal for a total change in his personality and MO.  He's going to roll up on the entire co-op in a hellacious fashion, most especially Marlo, including a scene in which he kills Dukie and/or Bug as Michael watches.  I dunno, maybe that's a little too pat, but I think it is seemly to push the lovable rogue character into some seriously evil shit in order to stay true to the tone of the series, and it seems consistent with the way they're trying to fuck the other character they've largely given a pass (McNulty) even though they're botching that storyline badly, IMO.
hannah

« Reply #172 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:42:25 PM »

Someone pointed this out elsewhere: the Omar and Marlo scenes seems a play on Bunk's "This ain't Aruba, bitch" line.
dieblucasdie

« Reply #173 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:47:55 PM »

I'm definitely in agreement on that Hannah, it's part of this thing I think where they treat McNulty with kid gloves, and everyone else gets what's coming to them with interest.  Which is annoying in a show whose message is at least partially 'everything is the game'. 

Also, in re: Omar in paradise, I think that it and the Marlo scene are parts of a set piece showing two guys attempting to get out of the game/their position in it.  To which the writers will inevitably say, you will never get out of this.  I think specifically with the Omar scene, it's going to be a signal for a total change in his personality and MO.  He's going to roll up on the entire co-op in a hellacious fashion, most especially Marlo, including a scene in which he kills Dukie and/or Bug as Michael watches.  I dunno, maybe that's a little too pat, but I think it is seemly to push the lovable rogue character into some seriously evil shit in order to stay true to the tone of the series, and it seems consistent with the way they're trying to fuck the other character they've largely given a pass (McNulty) even though they're botching that storyline badly, IMO.

I think this is OTM, what's blowing my mind is that (genuine spoiler) Omar appears to be rolling up on the Barksdale remnants as well

andronicus

« Reply #174 on: Jan 16, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »

Yeah co-op was almost replaced in that paragraph with 'entire baltimore drug scene'.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22
Print
LPTJ | Archives | The Hangar | Topic: The Wire - Season Five
Jump to: